Which Power commander 2007 FJR? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Which Power commander 2007 FJR?

Hey guys, this has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it. I want to get a Power Commander for my 2007 FJR 1300 mainly for the herky jerky throttle, but a few other things too. My confusion is I see that they are up to the number 5, but I don't wanna waste money on the 5 if a 3 is perfectly compatible and will do everything I want. So, hopefully someone can give me a direction on what I would need. Also, if I pick up a used Power Commander 3 for a GSXR1000 would it work on my FJR???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 03:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For a Gen2 FJR, you must get a PC5. A PC3 from any other bike, including a Gen1 FJR, will have the wrong connector for your wiring. Also, if you want to do the job properly, you need an Autotune unit with a new O2 sensor to go with the PC5. Without the Autotune unit, any map that you program into the PC5, will only tune the engine for one particular set of atmospheric conditions. When those conditions change, as they will due to temperature, pressure, altitude, and humidity, there is no feedback loop to re-tune the engine.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 04:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

A few Redfish thoughts on this subject...

1. There are some used PC-Vs out there. You might find one just waiting for a good home somewhere. (PM me. Please PM me!)
2. Bernie is right and wrong about the Autotune. I guess that depends on you. I know you can get excellent results without the Autotune unit.
3. The correct map is essential.
4. You don't HAVE to have a PC-V for a Gen2. I personally know that there are PC-3 units being used on '07 FJRs.
5. Your fuel mileage will probably drop.
6. Your fuel economy readout in the dash will become uselessly, optimistically inaccurate.
7. Bernie is right about not using a GSXR unit on an FJR. That will NOT work.

I installed a PC-V on Pop's '07 many years ago to help with the jerky throttle. I ordered it from FuelMoto and they installed their "smoothness map". Pop lives about 20 feet above sea level here in South Louisiana. That '07 with that PC-V and no Autotune traveled from here all through the Smoky Mountains, all over Colorado, all the way to the top of Pike's Peak, 14,110 feet. That bike had altitude issues stock but never with the PC-V. I did run it for a while with the O2 sensor still plugged in and fuel mileage was great. I gave in to the advice of experts and unplugged the O2 sensor and fuel mileage dropped.
RaYzerman and Kelvin like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
For a Gen2 FJR, you must get a PC5. A PC3 from any other bike, including a Gen1 FJR, will have the wrong connector for your wiring. Also, if you want to do the job properly, you need an Autotune unit with a new O2 sensor to go with the PC5. Without the Autotune unit, any map that you program into the PC5, will only tune the engine for one particular set of atmospheric conditions. When those conditions change, as they will due to temperature, pressure, altitude, and humidity, there is no feedback loop to re-tune the engine.
Yes and no...

You can get a used PCIII that was set up for an GenII FJR - it will work fine. Dynojet just replaced them with new units - the PCV. The AT module will only work with a PCV.

The ECU has maps specifically to adjust for temperature, pressure, altitude, and humidity - you don't need an AT to compensate for those changes. Running without an Autotune will mostly work fine. You will probably end up with the mixture being slightly off when you go from E10 or E15 back to real gas without an AT.

An AT is useful for mapping for the specific changes made to your bike. I have an AT and the bike runs a bit smoother than just running the "smoothness" map. The AT doesn't seem to work well below 3k rpm and 10% throttle on my bike, however. It richens everything up and then leans it down again, leading to inconsistent running. If I was doing it again, I'd save the money on the AT.
Redfish and Kelvin like this.

2006 FJR1300
2005 R1150GSA
2002 DR650
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I also just bought an 07 FJR a few months ago and installed a brand new PCV I downloaded several maps but are currently using the one right from Power Commander. Iím very happy with the results No more herky jerky throttle. I also did the throttle return spring unwind which I really love the results of that as well. I unplugged the O2 sensor as the instructions say to. I donít think power commander even offers the PC3 anymore. I think itís PCV or one of the other styles of fuel tuners. Like Dobeck Performance one. Which I used in my first 07 FJR and it worked great as well. You donít need the auto tuner for the PCV to do itís job. I also used a PCV on my FZ1 with out the auto tune with great results.
Kelvin likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:25 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

If you want to get rid of the throttle abruptness, look at a G2 Throttle Tamer. It counteracts the overly aggressive throttle on the 2006 and 2007 models.
Kelvin likes this.

2006 FJR1300
2005 R1150GSA
2002 DR650

Last edited by Mr_Canoehead; 09-25-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Typo
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It also helps to adjust the throttle freeplay to near zero. You must unplug the O2 sensor, otherwise the ECU is trying to put the mixture back to stock thus compensating for the PC.
PC3 is fine, PCV just added another column for the 1500 rpm range in the map.
Kelvin and 2GENAE like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

What happened to this guy? Was he just a troll? Who asks a question and then just disappears?

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 12:33 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Hi all.

I thought it best to tag onto an existing thread, rather than create another another one covering the same topic.
For the 2006-2007 FJR's, when installing the PCV and autotune- do you remove the factory O2 sensor and replace it with the autotune one?
Thanks.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yes.
Rumblestrip and simonr23 like this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page