Fast starter (wont start) - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Fast starter (wont start)

In my searches I found some information concerning a (wont start) issue; but did not find a thread dedicated to the problem.

This type of info should be a sticky.

I washed my bike yesterday and when I was done; I fired it up and moved it into the garage where I promptly shut it off and moved onto other things.

This morning (first time ever) the starter spins like the engine isn't getting fire or fuel. I'm suited up ear plugs, helmet, gloves etc. but I have a 2nd bike so no problem. Triumph day it is!

I'm guessing that when I get home; I should hook up my battery charger and top off the charge. Then try to start it @ WOT. If the battery dies; charge it and try again.
Then next time I need to move the bike a couple of yards, either do it by hand or run the engine long enough to get warm. Are we talking 'off idle rpm' warm or 'fan on' warm?

I do appreciate the info that is shared here. But, really, maybe this should be a sticky!

Scott

2014 FJR1300A
2011 Rocket III Touring

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different than the things we do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Gosh one would think the word has spread by now as this has been going on for years (well, ever since 2006 at least). But, 'spose a sticky wouldn't hurt.
Scott_in_TX likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:59 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
In my searches I found some information concerning a (wont start) issue; but did not find a thread dedicated to the problem.

This type of info should be a sticky.

I washed my bike yesterday and when I was done; I fired it up and moved it into the garage where I promptly shut it off and moved onto other things.

This morning (first time ever) the starter spins like the engine isn't getting fire or fuel. I'm suited up ear plugs, helmet, gloves etc. but I have a 2nd bike so no problem. Triumph day it is!

I'm guessing that when I get home; I should hook up my battery charger and top off the charge. Then try to start it @ WOT. If the battery dies; charge it and try again.
Then next time I need to move the bike a couple of yards, either do it by hand or run the engine long enough to get warm. Are we talking 'off idle rpm' warm or 'fan on' warm?

I do appreciate the info that is shared here. But, really, maybe this should be a sticky!

Scott
Greetings, you called it exactly what the fault is called the first starter syndrome.

It happens on all Generations all is up to at least the gen 3.

It is nearly 100% due to starting your bike and not letting it warm up fully.

By quickly starting it you over pressurised the fuel rail and confuse the dumb ECU.

The only way to avoid this is if you going to move it or turn it on for a few minutes without it reaching it's hot Idle, which is slow idle it will happen or may likely happen again.

The only starting method is to have a fully charged battery and to start the bike with the throttle wide open 100% wide open and keep starter buttons until the bike starts.

It may mean discharging the battery run flat, fully charge it and keep going. The bike will eventually start to kick over and run properly.......... It also stresses starter motor so its up to you !!!

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk
Scott_in_TX likes this.

In Thrust we Trust

2014 FJR AE ....The Aussie ES
2013 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R

Last edited by Queensland Ken; 04-03-2017 at 06:00 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Gosh one would think the word has spread by now as this has been going on for years (well, ever since 2006 at least). But, 'spose a sticky wouldn't hurt.
I get how information like this can get to be taken for granted and thought to be "well known".

But really, this is a pretty unique issue and considering that it can result in a dead battery; it can leave a unsuspecting rider stranded.

"Well known" starting issues SHOULD be "Well Communicated".

Not meaning to b*tch or sound ungrateful.
There's a lot of info here that I've made good use of and a lot of posters that share their knowledge freely.
I do appreciate all of their work and time helping others.

Making their work more easily found can/will result in fewer repeat posts and fewer problems encountered by new owners.

Scott

2014 FJR1300A
2011 Rocket III Touring

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different than the things we do
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

No problem..... I did notice it is a sticky on another forum. On this forum if you do a seach for fast starter, it does bring up a few threads. A sticky would get pointed at right away I would think.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:30 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Please remove this.

In Thrust we Trust

2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R

Last edited by Queensland Ken; 04-03-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: placed a btterpost off
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:37 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
FJRF011: Fast Starter Syndrome

Started by Ignacio, Jan 27 2011 09:22 AM

Issue Shorthand Name: "Fast Starter Syndrome"

Symptoms: (some or all)
  • Bike won't start
  • Bike has sat for a period of time (perhaps days or weeks)
  • Hit the starter and in the first 1/2 a second it just doesn't sound quite right.....and after a couple seconds not a hint the bike firing.
  • Starter seems a slightly higher pitch.
  • Starter seems to spin a little faster than usual.
  • You have to crank and crank it until it finally sputters and lights up.
Cause: Unknown

Hypothesis/Speculation of Cause:

Cause: Unknown

Hypothesis/Speculation of Cause:

• This may be caused by marginally leaky fuel injectors allowing fuel from the pressurized fuel rail to slowly dribble into the combustion chambers. This could explain the hard starting unless WOT (flooded) and the faster than normal turn over (fuel washes oil off cylinder walls resulting in compression loss. (FredW)
  • Possible piston ring freezing into place or rusting. (Warchild & Ignacio)
  • Increased incidence with E-10 blends..possible rusting or gunking of pistons (Ignacio) or valves (
  • Winter blend vs. summer blend of fuel? (e.g.)A bike last used in September may not start well in cold January (Ignacio)
  • Temperature, humidity, and/or weather?
  • Letting bike sit after a short ride or "garage warm-up"? (gumba)
Resolution: Unknown at this time

• Possible use of fuel additive like SeaFoam or other stabilizer
Workaround:

With a full battery and confirmed fuel in the tank press the starter and DO NOT LET GO. Alternate slowly between
no throttle and full throttle....or perhaps no throttle to 1/3 throttle.
  • Engine will eventually light--probaly cough and sputter. Don't let up on the starter. Recycle the throttle again noting if some position seems a sweet spot.
  • If the battery goes dead...recharge and try again. Or consider a high amp charger.
Other Observations:

• Ignacio has had it happen 3 times over the life of his '05 with 135,000 miles. The last time he noted that he could smell fuel from the exhaust and had both fuel and spark the first time it happened removing the plugs.
  • Ignacio hasn't found a temperature correlation. First and second time were in the 60-80 degree range and third time was in the 40's.
  • Ignacio has found it happens more often on season shoulders (e.g. Fall when it cools down and/or Spring when it warms up...possibly exacerbated by change in seasonal fuel formulations)
Scott_in_TX likes this.

In Thrust we Trust

2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:28 PM
FJR Top Gun

I've had it happen twice.

It's a pain but I learned how to avoid it.

Basically, after a cold-start, do not switch the engine off, ever, until the revs have dropped to normal.
Queensland Ken likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yep!

Three, 15 second cranks a couple of coughs and she fired up in a fuel reeking fury.

I WILL probably forget one more time, but at least now I do know how to avoid and/or overcome.

Thanks all,
Scott
Queensland Ken likes this.

2014 FJR1300A
2011 Rocket III Touring

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Some are speculating that an ECU is to blame for this issue. If a finicky ECU is one of the suspects, has anyone tried to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset it? Just makes me wonder if that might be a possible fix.

2016 FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page