Lowering the fjr - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Lowering the fjr

Thinking about lowering my 2013 fjr. I have dropped it twice from a dead stand still trying to back it out of my garage. I am looking at a set of lowering links from Soupy's.
They are adjustable from stock to -4 inches. I do not intend to lower it much more than 1 inch but it will be nice to have the option to go more. Has anyone here had any expirence with this product? If so are you satisfied?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For a start, you will no longer be able to get your bike up onto the center stand, if you don't believe me, get a 1 inch thick plank of wood, slip it under the bike and see if you can lift the bike onto the center stand. The side stand will also be affected, try the wood under that as well.

The FJR is already quite low under the engine, if you lower it more, you are likely to hit lumps in the road, I am thinking of speed humps which are often placed in parking lots and drive ways. You will also lose ground clearance when cornering.

I am quite short, 5' 8", and I cannot back up the bike while sitting astride it. I stand beside the bike, lean it against my hip, and pull it backwards, much safer.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Farkle Trainee

Have you considered a different seat? I bought a used Corbin and it dropped me so far down I sold it. That Corbin sat right on the frame and it was really low. If you don't have an aftermarket seat, you might think about that.
mobilemike likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy dawg View Post
Thinking about lowering my 2013 fjr. I have dropped it twice from a dead stand still trying to back it out of my garage. I am looking at a set of lowering links from Soupy's.
They are adjustable from stock to -4 inches. I do not intend to lower it much more than 1 inch but it will be nice to have the option to go more. Has anyone here had any expirence with this product? If so are you satisfied?
do the MATH 1st ! ! ! ! ! !

you have approx OEM 5inches .............................thats up & down ! ! ! ! ! !

some have discussed [ incorrectly ] suspension w/o considering ' free travel '
[ bike held by someone straight up no 1 on the seat ]
if U push down the bike will reset UP
if U lift UP it will reset DOWN
both equal Ur ' free travel '

the Stock / OEM travel under Normal conditions one will Never use it all
[ topped out / coil bind are a few factors ]

most are set 1/2 inch free travel
then another 1/2 inch at the very least when U sit Ur butt down

if you subtract another inch...........................the ' inch ' U want to lower
U only have 1/2 left ! ! ! ! ! !
some have tried what you imagine & have EXperienced EXactly what Ive described
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
My Super Tenere had Soupy's lowering links on it when I bought it. The previous owner is quite short and had the bike lowered at least 3 inches. I've adjusted the links several times, put the OEM links back on and eventually settled on lowering the bike about 3/4 inch with the Soupy links. The Soupy links are well made, easy to use and do allow you to dial in a height with precision.

Before buying the Soupy links you could try raising your forks a bit. I have done so on my FJR (2cm) and combined with a Corbin seat I can get the balls of both feet on the ground where before it was only the tips of my toes. The front fork adjustment will make the bike turn into corners a bit quicker, but not a huge change. I have no issues using the OEM side and center stands on the FJR.

If you use the Soupy's kit and lower the bike very much you will probably have to get one of Soupy's adjustable side stands (one was on the Super Tenere and I was not impressed by it) or have the OEM side stand cut and rewelded, and use a piece of wood under the rear tire to get the bike on the center stand.

I agree with Bernie on how to move a bike. I always stand beside a bike and use my hip to support it (especially when backing).
Barry58, 2014oldred and Skidney like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

To the point-- while I have not personally used Soupy's links but I have assisted several other folks install them on their bikes. To a person, everyone was quite happy with the initial setting we guessed at and really liked being able to adjust them a little after riding some. All said the bike handled just fine even when we did not raise the fork tubes a bit, to kind of even out the ride. All the folks I mention were not the Ricky Racer types so the concerns about dragging parts, etc. were no concern for them. As Bernie mentions the stands may be problematic but folks I know either: a) went with Soupy's adjustable sidestand, 2) cut and welded the OEM sidestand, or c) heated and bent the OEM sidestand. Those folks were also not always-on-the-center stand people or simply didn't have one on the bike so for them it was a non-issue as it would be for me. The only time I ever use my center stand is for maintenance and I pull the rear wheel up on 2x4s for that anyway so for me it would be nothing new. With the sportbike folks, lowering the front 1/2" (which can be easily done on the FJR) was the shiznit for a little better handling but all said they really didn't need it.

Good luck!
Barry58 likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:40 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I've got a set of Soupys on mine. They work very well.
I slid the forks in the triple tree about a half inch as well. It wasn't absolutely necessary; but I used a dremel to remove a small amount of metal from the sidestand stop so that the stand sits a little more forward; this gives the bike plenty of lean.
I have about a quarter inch chicken strip and have touched my pegs down on occasion.

Obviously there is a reduction in lean angle and ground clearance; but it's not a show stopper.

Also, there's a write up on how to install them using a jack under the swingarm that makes it a pretty easy job.

Scott
rbentnail and Barry58 like this.

2014 FJR1300A
2011 Rocket III Touring

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different than the things we do
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
I've got a set of Soupys on mine. They work very well.
I slid the forks in the triple tree about a half inch as well. It wasn't absolutely necessary; but I used a dremel to remove a small amount of metal from the sidestand stop so that the stand sits a little more forward; this gives the bike plenty of lean.
I have about a quarter inch chicken strip and have touched my pegs down on occasion.

Obviously there is a reduction in lean angle and ground clearance; but it's not a show stopper.

Also, there's a write up on how to install them using a jack under the swingarm that makes it a pretty easy job.

Scott

Ditto for me but I went with 7/8s Kouba links, slipped the front forks 1/2 inch, Corbin seat. Big difference.
rbentnail likes this.

Pappy-09AE
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks to all who replied. Today, I removed the plastic bracket under the seat which dropped the seat 1/2-5/8 inch. I had 3/4 inch taken out of the stock seat at a local upholsterer. I can now get all of both feet except my heel on the ground when setting on the bike in my normal ridding position. I noticed also that my icon ridding boots are very thin soled and have no heel. Tomorrow I am going to take them to a local shoe store and have thick soles and a heel put on them. I believe then, I will be able to get both feet solidly on the ground while sitting on the bike. I will keep you posted on the end results. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Bernie likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 01:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

I always put the side stand down when backing up. Favor a very slight lean to the left and you can at least eliminate backing up being an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page