1st gear grind - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Rusty,

I'd say definitely, have Santa bring you a new one.

What happens if you pull the clutch all the way in, and blip the throttle a few times, before engaging first (or second) gear? It sounds like you may have warped or dirty clutch plates. A complete aftermarket clutch pack will not be very expensive, as compared to OEM parts. Dirty or dry clutch plates will be easy and cheap to fix - there are procedures posted here, and you don't even need to drain the engine oil first. We call the job a "Clutch Soak" for obvious reasons. You might also Search here for better brands of oil, but I'm sure not going to get into that, so have fun, there.

Cheers,
Red
Red, thanks! I remember reading about the Clutch Soak. This afternoon I tried squeezing the clutch lever a few times and also holding the lever in for a bit prior to attempting 1st gear, but it did not seem to help. I'll try the throttle blip idea tomorrow when it's cold again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjroddy View Post
my 05 clunked pretty good sticking it into first sometimes, same as you, I would sometimes leave it in 1st, after a while I just got used to the clunk, and as you say it was noticeable more on the first time. Pretty sure it's just the nature of the beast. Just give it a good quick stab with the foot and get it over with fast.
Yes, I get the clunk at times, but this is a grind. Gears are not meshing..... At least I know now that the clunk is kinda normal. My friends FZ1 does that too. Thanks!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagain View Post
Make sure that you are using an oil that is the correct specification.
The engine oil has to lubricate the engine, clutch and gearbox as well as keeping the clutch plates clean.
I have only ever used Yamalube 10/40 semi synthetic and over 5 FJRs and nearly 300,000 miles have never had a problem and have never had to do a clutch soak
Good to know... I don't know what the previous owner used, but I am running a full synthetic with correct designation and after three thousand miles since that oil change I still have the grind. I'm getting lots of good input and I really appreciate it

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Suzuki C50T 805cc Cruiser
2003 Suzuki S40 650cc
1978 Honda CB754 Bagger
**** Yamaha 50cc Scooter
1973 Suzuki TS185 Enduro
1972 Honda SL100 Enduro

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
According to how my '07 reacts, your '05 is perfectly normal. What I do when it's warmed up a minute or so is to cycle the clutch lever 3 or 4 times then aggressively put it in 1st. It will CLUNK loudly, always has, but it will ggrrrind if I don't, always has. Don't be timid when shifting, do it briskly and firmly.
Hey Russ,
So yours does it too. Hmmmmm.. Does it click in smooth if you forgo the warm up like mine will? That's what I generally do. Start it, drop it in gear and go.
Thanks for your post!
Rusty
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!der View Post
yeah, don't lollygag it into gear. I've found that I can pull the clutch and wait about 5 secs for the stuff to stop spinning, and then it will click in quietly.

Don't let it grind off your dog points any more.

In the mornings, I pull the clutch and move the bike to break the clutch plates free, then I start it in gear and take off right away.
I tried the 5 second clutch pull today, but still got the grind.. I'll try moving the bike next time. I generally don't let it grind. I've learned some work arounds, but until today I thought something was wrong. Now I'm hearing it may just be nature of the beast. I'll live with it if I must. It's a minor annoyance and I really love this bike!
Thanks for your comment!

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Suzuki C50T 805cc Cruiser
2003 Suzuki S40 650cc
1978 Honda CB754 Bagger
**** Yamaha 50cc Scooter
1973 Suzuki TS185 Enduro
1972 Honda SL100 Enduro
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
They all do that, Sir!

You can mitigate the problem. Mine was pretty bad, so bad the clutch could be felt dragging at stop lights. Changing the fluid, which was only a year old, went a long way to fixing that.

Also, if you have the clutch lever adjusted to bring it nearer to the bars, back it off to allow the lever to push more fluid for greater plate separation. Soak the clutch as detailed above and if it is high-mileage, change the plates.

It's a simple system, there is not much more you can do.

If you have to get into the clutch, make sure the plates haven't worn grooves in the basket. If they have the plates will drag on the basket and not separate correctly. You can dress the basket with a file.
Sounds like solid advice.. THANKS!
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!der View Post
Rusty2, when you say after a minute, are you idling in N?

BZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzkkk is not a sound I've ever heard from my gearbox and I'd be concerned if it's doing that.
Yes, it occurs only after the bike has has been idling in neutral for about one minute.
The sound is a grind. BZZzzk? Where did that come from. LOL..
Thanks R!der!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 06:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty2 View Post
Hey Russ,
So yours does it too. Hmmmmm.. Does it click in smooth if you forgo the warm up like mine will? That's what I generally do. Start it, drop it in gear and go.
Thanks for your post!
Rusty
My routine is to switch from 1st (I always park in 1st gear) to neutral and start the bike. It runs long enough to don mp3, (sun)glasses, helmet and gloves. I sit on it and roll slowly backwards out of the carport while exercising the clutch lever, about 30 ft. Put it in 1st firmly. CLUNK! done.

Another thing, besides fluid, is something I found this summer. My gear shifting in general and downshifting in particular was becoming stiff, like it was really hard to change gears. The problem was the little brass knob/bushing in the clutch lever. I had worn it out. You might want to check that too.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 11:52 AM
FJR Top Gun

There is one other factor worth noting about the clutch mechanism.

If you have gone through the system, replacing fluid, adjusting lever for more throw, soaking plates or changing them, dressing the basket, etc ....

After all of that, the only other parts that can cause a dragging clutch are the cylinders, master and slave.

If fluid is leaking back through a failed seal in either, you could experience problems getting the clutch to fully disengage.

It's just something worth bearing in mind.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
My routine is to switch from 1st (I always park in 1st gear) to neutral and start the bike. It runs long enough to don mp3, (sun)glasses, helmet and gloves. I sit on it and roll slowly backwards out of the carport while exercising the clutch lever, about 30 ft. Put it in 1st firmly. CLUNK! done.

Another thing, besides fluid, is something I found this summer. My gear shifting in general and downshifting in particular was becoming stiff, like it was really hard to change gears. The problem was the little brass knob/bushing in the clutch lever. I had worn it out. You might want to check that too.

Your routine is identical to mine except for what ever reason, I always leave it parked in neutral. I'll try your way. I'd like to give it that little warm up, but when I start it and immediately put it in gear, it drops in PERFECT. Nice click and no clunk, grind or anything.
Must have taken a lot of miles to wear out that bushing. Then again, I had to replace one on the shift linkage of a Suzuki road bike with only 1500 miles on the clock for the same reason, but that area is closer to the dirt and muck...
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page