Front Forks-2006 FJR1300 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Front Forks-2006 FJR1300

Hello:

It's been terribly hot this summer in Colorado. I keep my bike garaged.
In the last month and a half I've ridden only 3 times but I've notice a slight oil leak at the very bottom of the left front fork. Possibly a fork leak.

Am I looking at major repairs for this or is this leakage possibly due to expansion because of the heat (even in my garage)? It isn't very much and it doesn't seem to be constant. The few times I rode until I noticed the few drops on the floor of my garage were not hard rides. I have less than 10,000 miles on the bike.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Cliff
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Others probably know better than I. However, at 17.2k I had my second right hand fork seal leak. The first one was at only 9.8k! With any luck you don't have a fork seal leak which should be addressed before it gets your brake pads all wet at which time you'll need to replace them also.

Clean your forks well with whatever method works for you, wipe, soap and water, whatever. Then start feeling up the fork after a ride, or after some time period, feeling for the oil, and feeling for where it is coming. With my second leak which I caught MUCH SOONER than the first it would only take a day for me to feel it at the fork seal, whereas it wasn't really visible to the eye, but sure enough you could feel it!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:38 PM
FJR Top Gun

There could be some grit trapped in the seal causing the leak.

One trick is to use 35mm negative film (if you can find any...) or a very thin feeler gauge, insert and slide around the seal to dislodge any foreign matter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page