Saddle bag lock issue - screws falling out - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Saddle bag lock issue - screws falling out

I did a search and came up dry. Recently I found that the two screws which secure the lock tab to the main lock cylinder in the saddlebags were backing off, to the point where the tab fell off, I lost one of the screws, and the lock assembly fell out of the bag (the plastic flange athat hold the metal key cylinder nd the cylinder itself). I tried to tighten them using a Star key, but these silly screws have a small metal button in the middle of the star indentation that don't allow me to get a good purchase on the screw.....plus I lost one. I tried to source a substitute screw at the local Home Depot but the thread is finer than machine thread, almost like something you'd use for a watch or eyeglasses. So, I'd love it if I could source a substitute screw that has a standard phillips, straight, or hex head. Has anyone else faced this issue, and if so, how did you solve it?

thx.

Beast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

Start by blaming the dealer who assembled the lock without using the mandated Loctite. And the reason your torx driver doesn't work is because it is a 'security' Torx head, needing a special driver.

I don't know what the screw itself is, but a search at www.fjrforums.com will give you everything you need to know
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 AM
FJR Top Gun

Very common problem Beast, best cured by a small drop of Loctite on the thread when you do the bolts up again.

"How was he so fast?...We now know his pants were on fire."

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the guidance, link to issue and fix found

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...addle+bag+lock

Thanks everyone. It took a bit of searching since it's an old topic. I'm going to retrofit to the Lowes replacement screws (specs listed in link above) since I don't really need to invest in new safety torx heads. I have plenty of red loctite at home.

I hate being a noob - I'm a member of the RX7 Big List and Forum for over 9 years and that group is quick to yell 'search, you noob' on old rehashed issue being brought up by new owners.

Keep the shiny side up!

Beast (ATGATT, btw)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Lowes didn't have them, dammit

My local Lowes only carries down to M4, not M3. Gotta try a different source.........and they also don't carry safety torx heads.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

An even better solution

Happened to be going past an Orchard Supply Hardware and swung in to see if they had a solution, and found what I think is even better: Metric Soket Head Cap Screws, M3x6 pitch .5 in a three-pak for $.69. Total cost with tax - $1.49 for two packages to replace both sides. The cap screws have a raised head with ridges for easy purchase with your fingers to get the screws started and snug, and then the hex head is easier to get to with the angle of a hex wrench. Add a little red loctite and viola, permanent fix.

Beast
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Re: An even better solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast from the East
Happened to be going past an Orchard Supply Hardware and swung in to see if they had a solution, and found what I think is even better: Metric Soket Head Cap Screws, M3x6 pitch .5 in a three-pak for $.69. Total cost with tax - $1.49 for two packages to replace both sides. The cap screws have a raised head with ridges for easy purchase with your fingers to get the screws started and snug, and then the hex head is easier to get to with the angle of a hex wrench. Add a little red loctite and viola, permanent fix.

Beast
Now thats a statement.

FJR gone sorry chaps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Farkle Trainee

Mine did the same thing...................I took the side bags to the local dealer, Ride N Now, Concord NC (not where I purchased the bike) and they took care of the problem for me for FREE. They have obviously got some of my greenbacks with service like that.

NC
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks.....one of my screws came out on a trip to NorCal last week, and I just about could not get my luggage open in a rain storm (wet weather gear enclosed), noticed when I got back it was missing one screw and the other was loose!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 12:36 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
A bit over seven years to get a thank you... but appreciated none the less, I'm sure.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in