The Ground Spider Comes Home to Roost - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

The Ground Spider Comes Home to Roost

EDIT: Post #29 on page 3 contains links to pdf files of posts with pictures.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, I been bitten by the dreaded ground spider! Actually, 'dreaded' is such a strong word. More like PITA. Here's my story, remember I mentioned that I think my battery is beginning to die:

Tuesday as I'm leaving out for work I notice my right headlight low beam is burned out. So I stop on the way and get a 2-pack of the bulbs of [my] choice. Wednesday morn I commence to doing the deed. Thought it went really well as I was bleeding from only 3 small nicks . So I start the bike and voila! headlights work again as designed. Cool! So I think, since I've already got the tools out and the oil & filter on hand and it's nearly time for an oil change and I got an [approx] 800 mile trip coming up, wth I'll change the oil. No biggie, oil & filter done. Start the bike to circulate the new. Not! WTF?!?

So I see 2 things right off: high beam head light indicator on; both turn signal indicators on. "Dammit!", I says, "I know what this means!" And I figure I know where the problem is, too and I didn't even need to dig out my X-ray spy glasses.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 12-29-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

SO, for the benefit of science and future bite victims, I do a quick check of what I got and mostly what I ain't got:

- no engine start. No click, nothing;
- high beam headlight indicator on as mentioned, regardless of switch position;
- both turn signal indicators on as mentioned with no turn signals;
- fuel gauge reading completely full with about 3/4 tank in it and blinking once per second for 8 seconds, then pause for 1.5 seconds then repeat without end;
- clock did NOT reset;
- trip odometers did NOT reset;
- no windshield motion;
- no horn;
- no glovebox solenoid.

Solved the puzzle yet?

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yep! That's the one!! The S4 Ground Spider.

Lucky me! I just inspected these a few months ago and everything looked fine. C'est la vie, let's get to work. I pull plastics. S6 by the glove box fine. Both the S7 and S8 are fine- I looked at them whilst replacing headlight bulbs- but I check them again. Off comes the tank. S2 & S3 by the fuel rail left are fine. S5 by the cooling water temp sensor is fine. And thar she blows! S4, which I suspected from the very beginning is toast.

So I'll do the usual and snip it off and solder them together with an extra 14 ga. wire that'll run to ground. So here's my question for those (KEN) who may have does this before me (KEN) and can offer up a little advice (KEN): kinda tight in there, easier if I remove the nose plastics? Any other tidbits of advice?

Russ
2007A

Last edited by rbentnail; 12-27-2017 at 01:51 PM.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

Isn't there a recall that replaced that spider with a harness that goes right to battery ground?

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitbox View Post
Isn't there a recall that replaced that spider with a harness that goes right to battery ground?
Sort of. It addressed that 1 spider but just moved the problem to another. I knew about the recall when it was issued and consciously chose not to have it done deciding instead to take my chances with yearly inspections, cleaning and gooping with electrically conductive corrosion inhibiting compound. No complaints, I made it nearly 9 yrs and just shy of 93K miles. Way longer than some who even had the recall done.

By the time the recall was issued 2 different dealerships had already convinced me that Yamaha techs were way less knowledgeable of this vehicle and cared less about my safety than I did. In other words, their workmanship sucked and they broke stuff and wouldn't make good on it. My bike has not graced a dealership service department since 2009 and I swore then it never would again.

Part of my point in posting all this that didn't really come through so well was the correlation between bad battery indications I linked to in a previous post and the possibility of something more involved.

Russ
2007A

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

What years are susceptible to the Ground Spider?
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by costanza View Post
What years are susceptible to the Ground Spider?
In reality, all years because Yamaha never REALLY fixed the problem, but I believe early Gen II's were most susceptible.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Russ,
I never had a spider problem because I did a preemptive strike on them. Pulled 'em, cleaned 'em, and put dielectric grease in all of them. IMO, best method for just one like you have is to strip everything as far back as practical then solder them all together. I would not worry about disconnecting them for anything else down the line, just fix it now. Solder and cover with liquid tape.
Rod
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButNotDead View Post
Russ,
I never had a spider problem because I did a preemptive strike on them. Pulled 'em, cleaned 'em, and put dielectric grease in all of them. IMO, best method for just one like you have is to strip everything as far back as practical then solder them all together. I would not worry about disconnecting them for anything else down the line, just fix it now. Solder and cover with liquid tape.
Rod
Hope you're not feeling too confident with your preemptive strike. I disassembled, cleaned and gooped all 8 spiders every spring. And I mean EVERY spring, without exception. And still this happened. But stay tuned, I took some really great pics while working and came across a couple disturbing surprises. You'll see what I mean......

Russ
2007A

Last edited by rbentnail; 11-13-2017 at 06:52 AM.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Farkle Trainee

Ya know, an electrical engineer tracking circuits would say that the spider setup should not be a problem. I kinda agree if I were just circuit tracing but IMO there are both mechanical and load issues that make the spider a poor design. I'm kind of a brute force electrician. I would have had one or possibly more ground lines/buses and run more returns to them rather than the spider. When you consider the number of FJR's out there, the number of spiders that function properly probably make it statistically not that bad of a setup, but to me an electrical grounding system should have a zero percent failure rate. To that end, ANAL me would have replaced all spiders with a hard wire setup after the first sign of failure. Good luck on your repair. Fixing electrical crap is right up there with overflowed toilets for fun factor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page