The Ground Spider Comes Home to Roost - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 148 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Excellent write up.

All this does make one wonder why Yamaha went to the trouble and expense of using spiders. It would have been cheaper just to do want Bent did when making the harness. Anyone have any ideas?
OldButNotDead likes this.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 148 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

I was once chastised for casting dispersions on electrical issues on FJR's. IMO, the FJR is and has been an extremely well designed and reliable motorcycle. There have been issues that could leave you stranded and the spiders are one of them. What is amazing to me is that they knew the issue in 06 and 07, even had a recall in 08? and yet they made no design change. Not even in Gen III's.

Excellent work Russ.
post #23 of 148 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
I had a thought today, while riding my 07 FJR and thinking about maybe having to go through this procedure a thousand of miles from home and all my tools and soldering iron.

If we know the two or three spiders that cause most of the spider problems, and since we know {I think} that it's not ALL the wires but the ground wire that overheats and causes the damage to the other wires.

Why don't we just cut that ground wire off on both sides of the three spiders, bypass it with a piece of good wire and solder and double heat shrink both sides.

Not only would this avoid the main problem, which is the corrosion that builds up [and then HEAT} at that poor contact area inside the spider. But it would also keep the ground wire from burning up all the other wires if it ever DID overheat.

Seems cutting and splicing three wires {or even more} NOW would be worth it for the peace of mind.

I probably don't know what I am talking about here, so please be gentle. I am NOT an electrician OR a mechanic. {I did stay in a Holiday Inn once}.
I get the impression that you think the ground wires in question are part of a larger plug containing other wires, yes?

No. That's not the way it is. See, the ground spider plugs contain nothing but ground wires. In not-too-technical-terms , if you think of the electrical system like:

the power leaves the battery on wires, then operates a load(like a light bulb), then returns to the battery on wires.

It's the return wires we're working on. A ground spider plug is a collection point for 5 wires returning from each of 5 different loads. The 6th wire takes all the return current from the other 5 and takes it back to the battery. Kind of like a sewer system: 5 houses discharge into little pipes and those 5 little pipes meet a slightly bigger pipe at the street and off it goes to the sewer plant. Get it? The "spider" thingee is just a 6-pronged metal jumper that fits into the plug and connects all 6 wires together.

IMHO the wires themselves generate very little heat during normal use. The problem is the spider, the metal jumper itself. They are prone to corrode. And once even the littlest bit of corrosion is formed the electrical resistance goes up, which creates a little heat, which enhances corrosion formation, which causes more resistance, which causes more heat, etc. until poof! Failure.

So then we either get the entire harness replaced by a dealership (NOT ME!! F THEM!!!) or fix it ourselves.

Does that help? That's also why I just went ahead and did the S6 along with my failed S4. S6 is one that I had read about failing on someone and since I already had access to it, I did it. In all, the 2 spiders I cut out can be done in one day.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 148 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I get the impression that you think the ground wires in question are part of a larger plug containing other wires, yes?

No. That's not the way it is. See, the ground spider plugs contain nothing but ground wires. In not-too-technical-terms , if you think of the electrical system like:

the power leaves the battery on wires, then operates a load(like a light bulb), then returns to the battery on wires.

It's the return wires we're working on. A ground spider plug is a collection point for 5 wires returning from each of 5 different loads. The 6th wire takes all the return current from the other 5 and takes it back to the battery. Kind of like a sewer system: 5 houses discharge into little pipes and those 5 little pipes meet a slightly bigger pipe at the street and off it goes to the sewer plant. Get it? The "spider" thingee is just a 6-pronged metal jumper that fits into the plug and connects all 6 wires together.

IMHO the wires themselves generate very little heat during normal use. The problem is the spider, the metal jumper itself. They are prone to corrode. And once even the littlest bit of corrosion is formed the electrical resistance goes up, which creates a little heat, which enhances corrosion formation, which causes more resistance, which causes more heat, etc. until poof! Failure.

So then we either get the entire harness replaced by a dealership (NOT ME!! F THEM!!!) or fix it ourselves.

Does that help? That's also why I just went ahead and did the S6 along with my failed S4. S6 is one that I had read about failing on someone and since I already had access to it, I did it. In all, the 2 spiders I cut out can be done in one day.
Thank you for that. Great explanation.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #25 of 148 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

"It's the return wires we're working on. A ground spider plug is a collection point for 5 wires returning from each of 5 different loads. The 6th wire takes all the return current from the other 5 and takes it back to the battery. Kind of like a sewer system: 5 houses discharge into little pipes and those 5 little pipes meet a slightly bigger pipe at the street and off it goes to the sewer plant. Get it? The "spider" thingee is just a 6-pronged metal jumper that fits into the plug and connects all 6 wires together."
laymans terms, very well explains it so that even I can understand what's going on. I hope the day doesn't come that I gotta deal with it, because honestly it looks and sounds like a pain in the behind to fix.
post #26 of 148 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Thank you for that. Great explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
laymans terms, very well explains it so that even I can understand what's going on. I hope the day doesn't come that I gotta deal with it, because honestly it looks and sounds like a pain in the behind to fix.
Yoose welcome, glad to help.

I thought the same thing about the difficulty factor but like much of the FJR's maintenance it looks way worse than it really is. IMO, for the work I documented here, removing the plastics and coolant/coolant pipe are more difficult than the actual repair.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In fact, I won't hesitate. The S1 (ECU), S3 (left knee) S7 & S8 (headlight adjusters) have all been added to my winter maintenance list for removal.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 148 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 03:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

So rbentnail, I don't think you ever posted the final results. Is everything fine? do you feel this will solve your problems indefinitely? I worry that if I ever do get to do my "out west" trip, worrying about this will take away from my enjoyment. Like a BMW rider worrying about the final drive on his bike.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #28 of 148 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
So rbentnail, I don't think you ever posted the final results. Is everything fine? do you feel this will solve your problems indefinitely? I worry that if I ever do get to do my "out west" trip, worrying about this will take away from my enjoyment. Like a BMW rider worrying about the final drive on his bike.
As far as I can tell everything is fine. Several day rides, 1 long weekend trip and commuting- no problems at all.

Russ
2007A

post #29 of 148 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

In case anyone is interested, thanks to PhotoBucket, I took some time to re-create my posts and pics in pdf format and uploaded them to my dropbox acct. Below are the links, split it into 2 pages for ease-of-conversion processes, so each link contains about 1/2 of the original thread, pictures included. When you open a link you should see a download button top right for that, printing, etc. Hopefully this will continue to assist folks in the future now that pics are see-able again. I understand it's not in the best layout, sorry about that, but my main concern is to get the info back out there somewhere where folks can see it.

page 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxfifuulld...g%201.pdf?dl=0

page 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg91hx829r...g%202.pdf?dl=0

Russ
2007A

post #30 of 148 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 03:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Thanks for the write up. I kept on hearing about the ground spiders but until now didn't have a clue.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page