The Ground Spider Comes Home to Roost - Page 12 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmjP View Post
You have done a great job passing on this information. Iím pretty sure that I would never have thought to use a sewer system as a metaphor for that electrical circuit. LOL keep up the good work.
Thanks! So many folks helped me out in a lot of ways I'm glad to give something back.

I didn't know at the time but DropBox links change over time so if you need current links for pictures I can post them up for you.
2GENAE likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 08:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wmjp, I’ll echo your sentiments, Russ is one of our valuable assets here, good thing he doesn’t charge !

DanFellows,,,, enquiring minds want to know that since it’s been nearly a month,,,, are you still good ? You’ve been quiet so we’re hoping that it’s a good sign, this has been a really good learning thread !
2GENAE likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #113 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 05:22 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post

Can you do me a favor? Hop over to post # 29 on page 3 and see if my DropBox links are still good.
Hi rbentnail,
new to the forum and only just taken delivery of a 2008 with very low kís on it. Unfortunately, 3 days after picking her up we went into level 4 (total lockdown) for this bloody pandemic. 😢 🤬
Iíve have been reading this thread with interest, so will be checking everything. ( I think if I had come across this before the purchase, I may have had some reservations).

Anyway....

Thanks for the detailed explanation and pics. And yes, your links are working and Iíve downloaded them into my own drop box for safe keeping.

We have some great roads to ride down here in NZ. 🤫
Looking forward to getting out on her once this thing has been beaten.
philharmonic likes this.

post #114 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzgeordie View Post
Hi rbentnail,
new to the forum and only just taken delivery of a 2008 with very low k’s on it. Unfortunately, 3 days after picking her up we went into level 4 (total lockdown) for this bloody pandemic. �� ��
I’ve have been reading this thread with interest, so will be checking everything. ( I think if I had come across this before the purchase, I may have had some reservations).

Anyway....

Thanks for the detailed explanation and pics. And yes, your links are working and I’ve downloaded them into my own drop box for safe keeping.

We have some great roads to ride down here in NZ. ��
Looking forward to getting out on her once this thing has been beaten.
Sweet, glad the links still work.

I can understand your reservations. It can be intimidating for someone who doesn't do this kind of thing for money every day like I do. But worry not, we'll work through it together as well as we can if that day ever comes. In the mean time, take a look at each of the 8 spiders by removing the cap and pulling the metal piece out of the plug thingy. Add some electrically conductive corrosion inhibiting paste and re-insert and re-cap. I got by for 10 yrs doing that once each spring. Do NOT use dielectric grease. That's the wrong stuff. Of course I have no idea what's available to you way down there so if you're not sure maybe post a link or pic before you buy and we'll see if we can help decipher it for you.

We here in the southeast coastal areas of the USA are generally rural so we're not so much in "lockdown". We're in more of a voluntary "go out for needed stuff, stay home otherwise" kind of thing and most people are taking this seriously though we do realize much of our leadership are out-of-touch idiots. Most of us here are still working in some manufacturing plant or another and we can still take leisurely rides just because we feel like it. In fact, I did last Sunday. It 's nice to get out especially since spring is in full bloom here.

Wash your hands, be safe down there. We look forward to seeing lots of pictures of NZ in the future.
2GENAE likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 04-30-2020 at 08:02 PM. Reason: mah speilin sux
post #115 of 143 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 08:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
The ground spider issues cover all Gen2's. Not a big deal if you just service them all with Oxgard or other contact paste when you get the bike. Run the VIN at any Yamaha dealer and they'll tell you if at least the S4 recall was done, it was a good thing.
Looks like I'm finally going to buy this '08 finally. Recall has been done, just curious about one other thing. Does it creep up on you or happen all at once? Are there warnings?

This one has been in Colorado since new, hoping the dry air here will help?
post #116 of 143 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Looks like I'm finally going to buy this '08 finally. Recall has been done, just curious about one other thing. Does it creep up on you or happen all at once? Are there warnings?

This one has been in Colorado since new, hoping the dry air here will help?
I had no warnings. One day it was fine, the next not.

Russ
2007A

post #117 of 143 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 01:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The Sumitomo 8240-4412 connector simply is not rated for the collective amps passing through especially the S4 & S6 connectors. Unfortunately, simply greasing with conductive grease will not ensure fail-safe conditions in my experience. Been there, done that. I would personally cut off and mechanical crimp wire cap them ( Ideal # 30-146). Mine were pristine, had the recall (S4) and great tension at the terminal blades but S6 ultimately failed. You would think Yamaha engineers would have calculated the load on the terminal assemblies.

MA South coast rider
2006 FJR1300AE another legend of Yamaha
XS850SG (just sold this restored classic w/ 50K)
other than acid drips on electrical connectors and lousy brake lines, great shaftie of its time!
'82 Virago (not Yammies best work) sold
'78 XS 400 Special (great starter bike!)
post #118 of 143 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 01:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Does running accessories make a difference?
How many S's are there you have to worry about?
post #119 of 143 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Does running accessories make a difference?
It depends on how you have them wired. If wired directly to the battery like I have my gps and battery tender, no. If you use a separate fuse block wired to the battery, no.

Quote:
How many S's are there you have to worry about?
There are 8, pictured in post #1 of this very thread.
2GENAE likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #120 of 143 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 02:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
It depends on how you have them wired. If wired directly to the battery like I have my gps and battery tender, no. If you use a separate fuse block wired to the battery, no.

There are 8, pictured in post #1 of this very thread.
There 8 ground spiders but I just realized two are 5 volt grounds, my "Brodie" harness only has the six 12 volt ground connectors to install... we lucked out my friend Dan found a mint used Brodie harness we just installed last week and I used Nolex corrosion paste on all of them this time. I lucked out the previous owner had my 2008 AE ignition and Spider 4 recall done.

Russ .....GOOD advice on fuse block from the battery.
We just finished wiring a fuse block under seat from the battery for my GPS, radar, intercom and heated seat so no worries plus the larger wires in Brodies ground harness.

Louis

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page