Throttle spring modification - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Throttle spring modification

Hi all,
I am about to do the throttle spring release (weak right wrist )
I have read the excellent instructions and photos on this site which are undoutedly idiot proof - well except for me that is!!
Can anyone tell me what to do or what happens after the spring is released from the tang? Do you let go of the spring so that it spins around and (hopefully) reattaches itself on the tank or does the tang spin around and reattach. I am afraid of making a complete mess of things.

Also, has anyone noticed their right mirror coming loose? Anyone able to advise me of the easies way to get at the morror retention nuts. Thanks in advance for your help which is much appreciated.
Aus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Its my understanding that if you gently let go of the spring once it free of the tang that it will unwind 1 revolution and reattach itself.

The mirror bolts are known to be loose from the factory on some bikes. You have to undo the 4 plastic dash pieces to get at both mirror bolts. There are actually 2 per mirror. Use some locktite on them before securing them.

Glenn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

me too

Hi Auscamp, like you I want to do the mod ............. but am more than a little concerned if all goes ping ( oh s***t). Let me know how you get on if you actually get round to oing this. I am oing on a 3000 mile ride in a couple of weeks and would like a lighter throttle.
All the best,
Skip.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

It's just the fear of the unknown guys. I recommend taking off the tank so you can just see better and some long needle nose pliers helped. It happens so fast you'll swear nothing happened. Pull it off, let it go and that's it. Even someone elected to public office could do it Actually I didn't feel that much of a difference but then again I didn't see what the problems was. I actually felt more of a difference when I put my hot grips on because they were thicker and seemed to give me more leverage.
2GENAE likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks guys for the advice and support.
I just did it tonight (I think!)
I Just grabbed the spring and disengaged it off the tang, crossed my legs and let go and...............phoar! it reattached itself in an instant - I assume after one revolution.
Throttle feels lighter but I will have to check it on a long run because it was only after about 20 miles that I had started to feel the wrist strain.
Great bike though- Ive been biking since 1980 but this bike is superb- and to think I was dubious about trading in my hornet!
Very many thanks
Aus
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks gr8eyes for the advice on the mirrors. I'll now be able to do the tightening thing at the weekend. To think I was considering removal of the fairing!! You've saved me a major headache.
Thanks again
Aus
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_st
It's just the fear of the unknown guys. I recommend taking off the tank so you can just see better and some long needle nose pliers helped. It happens so fast you'll swear nothing happened. Pull it off, let it go and that's it.
sprint_st is right; it's not a big deal. I did this last year and had the same worries that the throttle cable would turn into a bird's nest, but all you do is lift the bugger and help it out of the retainer and it'll happen all by itself. Not a problem.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've done this mod to 5 bikes so far, 3 of my own and 2 for friends. I disengage the spring completely, If it reconnects after unwinding one turn, I disconnect it again and make sure it stays disconnected. It can't go anywhere or hurt anything. The less spring tension on the throttle, the better.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I just did mine. It's perfect now. If your wrist is still hurting you may want to try a throttle rocker.

Just my .02
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie
....... The less spring tension on the throttle, the better.
The faster Black ones benefit from having a stroger spring - the others can keep up that way if you can only open the throttle half-way

IBA 21684

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page