Dash lights - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Dash lights

Anyone now how to get at the dash bulbs as i've got one blown (2001 model).Looking at the service manual it appears that you have to take both top fairing pannels and front fairing off to get at the back of the dash a lot of work just to change a bulb :? , anyone with an easier solution would be a great help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Your description is exactly what I've heard from people who have done on the other board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:50 PM
FJR Top Gun

As far as I'm aware, there is no other way. A real PITA - someone one suggested that you may as well change all of them just to try and avoid this idiotic "repair" in the future.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 PM
FJR Top Gun

BTDT

As has been said, all the tupperware has to come off.

"How was he so fast?...We now know his pants were on fire."
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Dash lights

As i thought then bugger, will take your advice Rabbit
and change all the bulbs. I'll try taking the side tupperware of first and see what i can get at. Thanks fellas.
Neil
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have had a set of spare dash bulbs for over a year. Just couldn't be bothered to do it. Maybe if another goes I will, but at this point since most of my riding is daylight I am not in a rush. A huge job to say the least. Go for it, take some pictures of the process and get back to us, that would be awesome, then you can come up and change mine for me. I have lots of Guiness when you are done.

The lust for thrust.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:44 AM
FJR Top Gun

It's not really a difficult job, just time consuming.

Memory's a bit rusty at the moment, but IIRC I managed to shortcut the manual a bit, as the book suggests that everything has to come off in bits. However after panels A to D, the fairing lowers and the screen and "W" are taken off, the rest of the fairing can be removed complete with the headlight assembly.
Take out the sidelights and disconnect the headlamp wires, then undo the four self tapping screws that hold the headlamp (via rubber bushes) to the front subframe.
Using your extra sets of hands support the fairing so that it doesn't plummet to the ground unexpectedly, at the same time as unclipping the fairing from the top edge of the dashboard, and gently pulling the fairing forwards, and Robert is your father's brother.

Well, it worked for my 01 anyway, and as the ancient sages said "To re-assemble simply reverse the procedure"

"How was he so fast?...We now know his pants were on fire."
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Dash lights

Thanks for the info Marshman. A freind of mine has a workshop and has offered to help so i will have a second pair of hands, may not get it done for a couple of weeks as its not such a problem now as its lighter now when going to and from work. Thanks for the suggestion Rocketdoc i will take some photos, took some in the workshop a while ago and came out well. As far as i'm aware you can't ride a bike from the UK to Canada so you'll have to do your own bulbs sorry.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshman
Robert is your father's brother.
Actually, Robert was my father's brother. Until just now, I never realized that Bob WAS my uncle.

Everybody wants to go to heaven; nobody wants to die.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:03 PM
FJR Top Gun

I've got an Uncle Bob too!.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page