Brake light stays on when using rear brake pedal - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to Pete
Brake light stays on when using rear brake pedal

I took my '01 for its MOT last week. The MOT tester called me in to the garage and I feared the worst!

He said, "I'm not going to fail it, because it is too petty, but you need to do something about this."

He then showed me that when the front brake lever was applied, the brake lights functioned normally, going off when the brake lever was released. The rear brake pedal, when depressed, also caused the brake lights to come on, but the light stayed on when the pedal was released. He then physically lifted the pedal up and the brake light went off.

My understanding is that the brake pedal has no return spring and that the brake pedal return is caused by the hydraulic pressure in the system.

I have never adjusted the brake light switch settings to cause the light to come on sooner or later, so this must have worked originally.

The rear brake gets very little use, so this is a case of something detiorating through lack of use. The question is - how do I fix it? I sprayed some WD40 around the pushrod, lifting the rubber housing / dust cover and giving it a generous squirt and worked the pedal hard for about 15 minutes. It didn't make any difference.....

Do I need to dismantle the switch and degrease, clean and regrease everything, or is it the brake hydraulics that I need to look at? I don't fancy bleeding the system. Woody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 AM
Ian
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Do the easy bit first, dismantle, clean, lubricate. If that doesn't fix it (which it probably will) then worry about bleeding though I doubt you'll get that far.

Give the benefit of your wisdom, if they do not listen, they will learn through adversity.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Sounds like the shaft needs lubing Pete. The WD40 may help but really the shaft needs some grease as it's only a releasant.

Try this take off the foot brake pedal and then you should be able to move the shaft sideways in towards the swingarm a tad, then slap some grease on the shaft and push the shaft in & out to try and get some grease in there.

This may help but a stripdown is the best way, should be able to do without bleeding the brake I would have thought?

I'll have a looky.

FJR gone sorry chaps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Pete, I had the same issue after adjusting my brake pedal down a notch, but it is quite easy to take off the relevant bits of gear and adjust the switch itself. Just a few bolts, and all is good.

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to Pete
Thanks for the advice guys.

I will dismantle, clean, regrease and reassemble.

Should only take a couple of months!

... and there was me thinking that WD40 (or should that be Woody40) solved everything!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 12:25 PM
FJR Top Gun

With my 01 ditto - sticking brake pedal.

Needed the strip-down, easy to do, clean rust off pivot shaft and grease - never been a problem since.

Mark the brake pedal/shaft before you take it off, easy then to get back in the same place.

You can use spray lithium grease to avoid the strip-down but the rust is still there and creating the sticking on the shaft.

Ditto - adjust brake switch a tad if necessary - details in your owners hand-book.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 12:05 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Brake light are stick on. press the front brake handle lights go out. Working in reverse. press rear brake pedal nothing lights stay on. any ideas?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 07:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

All good advice above.... very common for rear brake pedal to stick even slightly and keep the rear brakes on. Best to disassemble it, push it out as Woody says. WD 40 or lithium spray grease may give you some temporary cure, but it may not last long. Adjusting the switch should only be done if necessary after the greasing job is done.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:17 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Look at your Owners Manual (free for download from Yamaha if you misplaced yours). Pages 6-30 and 6-31.

https://dd5394a0b8ca8e97ba29-abf76f3...26-16-18_2.pdf

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 09:38 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Brake light stays on when using rear brake pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I will dismantle, clean, regrease and reassemble.
Should only take a couple of months! ... and there was me thinking that WD40 (or should that be Woody40) solved everything!
Pete,

Just to be clear, your problem is with the brake lever pivot only. It gets dirty, down there. There is almost certainly nothing wrong with the brake light switch.
Clean and lubricate the brake lever pivot shaft. You may or may not want to dis-assemble the brake lever from the shaft to do that. There are far better cleaners than WD-40 (which is mostly just kerosene), for any job.
You do have a brake lever return spring. As I recall, it may be a dual spring: one inside another. If you need a new return spring at any time, they are available. You probably do not need a new one, unless yours is physically damaged or deformed.
Hydraulics have nothing to do with the brake lever return action.
Brake lever lubrication should be a standard scheduled maintenance item on the FJRs.
Ride happy!
RaYzerman likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page