Gearbox clunk - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Gearbox clunk

Hi all,

Mine is a '02 model with just over 5k on the clock, which appears to suffer from loud, clunky gearbox. In particular when engaging first gear, the whole bike jolts as if the clutch was only partly disengaged.
Have bled the clutch, to eliminate air bubbles.
All other gears smoothly smoothly and quietly while on the go, however shifting down is a little slow and requires clutching in and out when stationary.
Any ideas/tips on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Have you tried holding the clutch lever in for 5-10 seconds before engaging 1st? I'm not suggesting that you do this every time but just to see if the clutch is releasing properly. FJR boxes are genuinely clunky and all 3 of mine have clunked into 1st unless I hold the clutch lever in long enough to let the box spool down.

It's a case of "they all do that sir" and none of mine have suffered any negative effects across almost 100k miles.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Farkle Trainee

The clunk is pretty much normal on the feejer, I tend not to worry about it as i'm rarely in 1st

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

What is your idle speed set at. 1000-1100rpm?

The FJR does tend to clunk into 1st gear a bit. I noticed that if I rev'd the engine in neutral and didn'tallow the engine to settle in at idle, it would clunk into 1st.

I neber did this but some people swear it shifts smoother when they went to synthetic oil.

glenn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Mine also clunks in 1st. Seems like if these motors could idle at lower RPM, the clunking should be reduced but, from the info we get, the normal idle should be between 1000 and 1100.

And, like Thommo says we're rarely in first!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

Mine's the same. Will try holding the clutch in longer before engaging first. BTW is tickover easily adjustable without visiting the dealer?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks guys, I will stop worrying about it then.
Will try holding the clutch in before engaging and try synth oil next time just to see if it makes any difference.
I ride in city traffic a lot, 1st gear therefore gets a lot of use

As for idle speed adjustment you can do it yourself CarMan, by means of a cnurled adjusting screw on the right hand side of the frame, inside the fairing just above the engine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhunter
Have you tried holding the clutch lever in for 5-10 seconds before engaging 1st?
This always did it for me. Also, very light pressure on the top of the shifter while holding in the clutch, when it's ready, it just slips into gear so nice...like buttah.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome to the wonderful world of big bore Yamaha motorcycles. FJ, FZR, R1, FZ1, FJR all are clunky compared to some other brands. Hold the clutch in for a few seconds before putting it into gear will help.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Actually, i dont recall ever owning a bike that didnt clunk into first. the issue is that the transmisition is going to be spinning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page