Make Your Rides Safer with Tire Pressure Monitoring System by Torxe - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 06:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
It alerts on the screen, if you choose to have it up. Even if you donít have the screen up, it alerts in your helmet. I use the display when Iím checking pressures, but I never look at it again. Only when I get an audible alarm do I look at pressures while riding, though you can leave it up all the time if you want.

For the rare rider that does not have a smartphone up and also does not have any audio going into their helmet, a handlebar display would be better.

I think the one in this thread looks cool. I just already have Fobo and find it to be superb.
FOBO will even play its Klaxon horn sound in the middle of the night if a cold front lowers your tire pressure enough...
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 11:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I have only needed the alert feature on my TPMS once in 5+ years. One morning I left the house and the flashing display alerted me that front tire was at 34 psi. I use my TPMS daily as I ride - it gives me great confidence going into curves, and I have detected a nail in my tire way before I reached my lower alert limit. My normal pressure is 42 psi, my lower limit is set to 35 psi. Nails often show as very slow leaks, so if I suddenly see 40 psi I know there is something wrong. I like to be able to fix this immediately rather than waiting a few more days until my TPMS alerts me...but that's just me.
passx likes this.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 12:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post
Do you always ride with your cell phone mounted on the dash? What if you need GPS on the phone? I personally would prefer a dedicated display of tire status
You set a high and low pressure amount, if the tire pressure goes outside either one it puts out one hellacious noise.

I keep my phone on a ram x mount, so if the pressure goes too low, it not only will show up, but I suspect it would overide a map you are following, but I am not 100% sure it would.

Jerry Holland
2013 FJR1300A

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 12:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

With functioning tpms, there is zero wait.
Quote:
I have only needed the alert feature on my TPMS once in 5+ years. One morning I left the house and the flashing display alerted me that front tire was at 34 psi. I use my TPMS daily as I ride - it gives me great confidence going into curves, and I have detected a nail in my tire way before I reached my lower alert limit. My normal pressure is 42 psi, my lower limit is set to 35 psi. Nails often show as very slow leaks, so if I suddenly see 40 psi I know there is something wrong. I like to be able to fix this immediately rather than waiting a few more days until my TPMS alerts me...but that's just me.
passx likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 11:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
With functioning tpms, there is zero wait.
My point is that I catch small leaks before the TPMS alert is issued, simply because I can monitor the situation in real time. If you e.g. set lower limit at 40 psi (fairly high if cold pressure is 42), the normal pressure while riding freeway will be around 50 psi. If you have a small leak, you'll have to wait until you lose 10 psi before you get the alert. I will spot that way before as soon as I see e.g. 45 psi...so yes, there is a significant delay
Bill Lumberg likes this.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 11:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by COGnosticator View Post
You set a high and low pressure amount, if the tire pressure goes outside either one it puts out one hellacious noise.

I keep my phone on a ram x mount, so if the pressure goes too low, it not only will show up, but I suspect it would overide a map you are following, but I am not 100% sure it would.
I suggest you figure this out before you need it! Maybe try it out in your garage - bring up a map and slowly lower the pressure and check if TPMS overrides the map. Essential to know I would think
Bill Lumberg likes this.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 05:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I donít experience a delay. I can monitor in real time all day long. Nothing wrong with a dedicated display. If my Fobo failed, Iíd consider one, but I have it all right now.
Quote:
My point is that I catch small leaks before the TPMS alert is issued, simply because I can monitor the situation in real time. If you e.g. set lower limit at 40 psi (fairly high if cold pressure is 42), the normal pressure while riding freeway will be around 50 psi. If you have a small leak, you'll have to wait until you lose 10 psi before you get the alert. I will spot that way before as soon as I see e.g. 45 psi...so yes, there is a significant delay
passx likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 08:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
I know what you're saying, but I set my alert level a bit lower than 40. If you lost 10 psi, got the alarm, your air pressure is still in real good shape at say 38 or even 40.... but I like a glance in real time too.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 08:33 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I bought the system from amazon that was recommended here a few years ago, I made a bracket so it mounts on the dash in plain view, best money Iíve spent on my bike, need to buy a couple more to go on my antiques that I ride, just need to install the ďtĒ valves first. Best money Iíve spent on my fjr !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 09:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think I've finally joined the TPMS Techno Club! Never thought I would but what the heck, it was a deal I couldn't bring myself to say no to. A fella over on the Garmin Zumo forum had 3 Garmin sensors for $110. They normally go for about $70 each. So I bought them and will see how it goes with the 595LM I got last year. Wish me luck!

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page