The Reasons You May Want to Install a Bluetooth Communication System in Your Helmet - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
JRowners.com Sponsors
Trainee Sport Tourer

The Reasons You May Want to Install a Bluetooth Communication System in Your Helmet

It’s hard to imagine something better than a safe and pleasurable motorcycle trip on an open road when the wind and engine noise is the only sound you hear. Except for the trips along with your partner or riding buddies, when you can enjoy making conversations with them instead of listening monotonous road noise. To do that, you will need a high-quality Bluetooth communication system with noise-cancellation and intercom functionality.

Besides that, using Bluetooth, you can make phone calls, stream music straight from your device, listen to voice navigation prompts, control your smartphone using voice commands and much more. If you want to know how to add Bluetooth functionality to your existing helmet or wish to learn more about modern helmet communication systems, click on the link below to read the full article.

Six Reasons You Need Bluetooth Communications In Your Motorcycle Helmet

Some of the products mentioned in the article:

Sena® - Momentum Bluetooth™ Full Face Helmet with Communication System - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Specifications:
Material: Composite fiberglass
Quick-release system
Scratch-resistant, UV resistant, pinlock-ready visor
Bluetooth 4.1 Communication system
Intercom working range: up to 1 mile (1.6 km) in open terrain
Advanced Noise Control™
Built-in FM radio with RDS AF (Radio Data System Alternate Frequencies): 64 ~ 108MHz
Talk Time: 20 hours
Battery charging time: 2.5 hours
Operating temperature: 14°F - 122°F (-10°C – 50°C)
Weight (Momentum INC): 61.73 oz (1750 g) (M size)
Helmet Certification: DOT Approved
Communication system Certification: CE, FCC, IC

Sena® - Communication System with Mesh Intercom™ - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Specifications:
Bluetooth 4.1 Communication system
Mesh Intercom working range: up to 1.2* miles (2 km) in open terrain
*Can extend up to 5 miles (8.0 km) between a minimum of 6 riders
Noise cancellation: Advanced Noise Control™
Built-in FM radio with RDS AF (Radio Data System Alternate Frequencies): 76 ~ 108MHz
Talk Time: 13 hours, Mesh intercom: 8 hours
Battery charging time: 1.5 hours
Operating temperature: 14°F - 131°F (-10°C – 55°C)
Communication system Certification: CE, FCC, IC

Sena® SC-WR-01 - Wristband Remote - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Specifications:
Compatible with Sena headsets that have Bluetooth 4.0 or higher. This includes 30K, 20S/20S EVO, 10S, 10R, 10C, 10U/10UPad, Cavalry Helmet
Battery type: Lithium polymer
Charging time: 2 hrs
Operating time: 3 months
Operating temperature: 14°F - 131°F (-10˚C – 55˚C)
Water-resistant
Working distance: up to 30 feet (10 meters)
You can use the included hook and loop fasteners to attach the Wristband Remote to your gas tank

Sena® SC-4B-01 - 4-Button Remote Communication System - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Specifications:
Operating time: 5 months
Operating temperature: 14°F - 131°F (-10˚C – 55˚C)
Water-resistant
Bluetooth v4.1
Working distance: up to 30 feet (10 meters)
Battery type: CR2016 Lithium coin battery
Voltage: 3 V

Click on the image to enter the product page.
To browse the catalog of available Bluetooth and Bluetooth-ready helmets, please click the button below:

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us here or call our tech experts at 888.903.4344

Need to repair or upgrade your bike?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Got any questions? Get advice from our bike experts in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or Call Toll Free: 888.903.4344

|
|
|
|

Knowledge base:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 11:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I love in-helmet Comms. That said, Sena sucks. Had a brand new Sena unit, 20s Evo, bad out of the box. Sena took weeks and never issued an RMA. Finally had to go through Revzilla for replacement. A month after they (Sena) had all information, they sent an RMA. I believe they intentionally delay hoping retailers will take the hit through returns.

Recently, one of my SRL’s went bad. Still well under warranty. Over a week, and Sena hasn’t issued an RMA. Can’t tell me when they will. And told me that it’ll be 2-3 weeks turnaround when they do receive it. These folks don’t support the end user or their product. You can do better if you’re willing to settle for comms that aren’t integrated into the design of the helmet.
2GENAE likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 02-25-2020 at 05:44 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:12 PM
FJR Top Gun

My wife and I love our comms too, and recently update to Scala Rider Freecoms. So far no issues. Before that we another Scala Comm that we used for years without issues. We only use them as a comm to talk to each other, no phones, no gps, no music.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I could have cared less about rider to rider, I used helmet comms for music and phone. Then I started riding with a few guys and got used to having comms. Having the lead guy be able to warn of a problem or advise passing clearance and the rear guys being able to tell when they were around a vehicle and caught up was a game changer. I don’t like how much they cost. And the lead dog sucks at customer support. But I can’t see going without them again. if Scala offered integrated comms for my helmets, I’d order a unit today, for sure.
the Ferret likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:36 PM
FJR Top Gun

I bought my brother one of the Freecoms and when we ride together I synch them together and you're right Bill, rider to rider can increase the pleasure and safety factor. I go on a trip every year with 5 or 6 men in the family. If there was a good comm that we could all talk to each other that would be great. As it is, only my brother and I get to talk, and my son, his FIL and my nephew plus the occasional other relative or guest are left out of the loop so to speak. Hasn't hampered the fun we have though.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:50 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

My Sena 20s has been great. Works great, sounds great, easy to use with gloves - just sayin'
carts likes this.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 03:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Had I known this was an ad from MOTORCYCLEiD I wouldn't have opened it.

Bad experiences with Sena 20S and 30K.

Good experience with Cardo Packtalk Bold.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 04:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lue42 View Post
My Sena 20s has been great. Works great, sounds great, easy to use with gloves - just sayin'
+1 for Sena 20S, after 3 yrs flawless in every aspect, group of six riders, some 10S some 20S all connect no problems. Sorry to hear about bad customer service. On the other hand Schuberth replaced Cardo with Sena (2016) as a supplier of Comm. systems, so they can't be that bad

carts likes this.

Last edited by Damir; 02-25-2020 at 04:22 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 05:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

I've had a Sena 10R for several (4?) years. I use if primarily for bike-to-bike comms, occasionally for music, and for a phone call once or twice a year. So far it has performed very well. One word of caution … while comm systems can be very useful for warning of hazards, they can also be a hazard … like when I was mid-curve and a friend delivered the punch line of a very funny joke … very challenging to stay in my lane while laughing strenuously!

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
JRowners.com Sponsors
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thank you, guys, for sharing your thoughts on the matter! Your feedback is very valuable.
Bill Lumberg, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Sena. Most of our customers speak highly of the brand.
But if you prefer Cardo products, we have them too:
https://www.motorcycleid.com/cardo/

Need to repair or upgrade your bike?

Got any questions? Get advice from our bike experts in
or Call Toll Free: 888.903.4344

|
|
|
|

Knowledge base:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page