The Reasons You May Want to Install a Bluetooth Communication System in Your Helmet - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:27 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
My local dealer pitched me on the Sena brand but despite his assertions, I went with a Cardo PackTalk Slim. Actually, my riding friend and I split a two-pack. I like the PackTalk Slim a lot. Works well with my Motorola Android phone and is great with music; those JBL speakers...WOW! It's easy to operate (mostly) with gloves on and makes hearing the nav over the tunes and wind noise a breeze (pardon the pun). My complaints: the operation of pairing with other riders is painful, the voice command has never worked for me and my buddy has issues with it staying paired with his iPhone. The battery life is awesome. I've been on trips lasting 6 hours or better and haven't lost battery power yet. It ain't perfect but it's pretty dang good.

Hangin' in Franklin Indiana. Indiana's best kept secret. It's also where 31, 44, 65, 144 and 135 all lead. Ok, 135 is a bit of a stretch but, you get the idea. Currently home to a 2009 FJR, 1980 XS850 Special, 1982 400 Maxim and a 1983 XJ750 Maxim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 12:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzhq16 View Post
My complaints: the operation of pairing with other riders is painful, the voice command has never worked for me and my buddy has issues with it staying paired with his iPhone. The battery life is awesome. I've been on trips lasting 6 hours or better and haven't lost battery power yet. It ain't perfect but it's pretty dang good.
Sena 20s and 30K also had connection problems. Link with another Sena was often scrambled and sounded like Donald Duck. Solution was to reboot.

Would not always connect with Garmin, iPhone, or Android. Seems to matter the order the devices are powered up. Same problem with Cardo. I blame Bluetooth. In 1994 I evaluated the options for using Bluetooth on a project and was not pleased at the costs or difficulties. At the time support libraries were 500k bytes of complied code. And ultimately rejected because Bluetooth just didn't seem to work well. At major version 4 or 5 today, its still a mess. Needs someone like Apple to promote a replacement.

Cardo has a mic sensitivity setting for speech recognition. Use the Cardo app on your smartphone to set.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page