Big Savings on HJC Helmets! Use this Rare Opportunity to Get One at a Reduced Price! - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 09:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's not just a matter of size, but shape. If you are feeling pressure on your forehead in an otherwise well fitting helmet, you probably have what Arai calls a "long-narrow" head shape.

I think Arai is the only major helmet manufacturer that goes to the expense of manufacturing helmets for different head shapes. When I got back into riding five years ago, I spent about three hours in the Denton, TX cycle shop trying on helmets. My baseline was Shoei. Based on prior experience, I knew that Shoeis became uncomfortable after about three hours. No problem if I were commuting or just riding shorthaul, say less than 200 miles or so, fit: 8/10.

Bells tend to run round, fit: 6/10. If it is big enough to fit without forehead pressure points, it flops around side to side.

Everything else but Arai fell in between Bell and Shoei, even Schuberts. I really wanted to like Schuberts. Arais were pretty much all over the place in terms of fit until I came to the Signet-Q. It fit like they used my head for the molds, fit: 10/10 right out of the box. Still, I wish Arai fitted sunshades to their helmets.

Right then, I realized that a properly fitting helmet doesn't require any king of break-in.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnC; 11-29-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
JRowners.com Sponsors
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
It's not just a matter of size, but shape. If you are feeling pressure on your forehead in an otherwise well fitting helmet, you probably have what Arai calls a "long-narrow" head shape.

I think Arai is the only major helmet manufacturer that goes to the expense of manufacturing helmets for different head shapes. When I got back into riding five years ago, I spent about three hours in the Denton, TX cycle shop trying on helmets. My baseline was Shoei. Based on prior experience, I knew that Shoeis became uncomfortable after about three hours. No problem if I were commuting or just riding shorthaul, say less than 200 miles or so, fit: 8/10.

Bells tend to run round, fit: 6/10. If it is big enough to fit without forehead pressure points, it flops around side to side.

Everything else but Arai fell in between Bell and Shoei, even Schuberts. I really wanted to like Schuberts. Arais were pretty much all over the place in terms of fit until I came to the Signet-Q. It fit like they used my head for the molds, fit: 10/10 right out of the box. Still, I wish Arai fitted sunshades to their helmets.

Right then, I realized that a properly fitting helmet doesn't require any king of break-in.
Thanks for the insight! It's good to know that it is possible to find gear that fits like a glove... or your helmet in this case

Need to repair or upgrade your bike?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Got any questions? Get advice from our bike experts in
or Call Toll Free: 888.903.4344

|
|
|
|

Knowledge base:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page