Back again with same question - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Back again with same question

Hello,
Last year at about this same time, I spent a lot of my time contemplating an FJR1300ES to replace my 2004 Goldwing 1800A. Thanks for all the input and in the end, I could not see the advantage that I wanted to gain. That is, to not drop the bike due to it's weight and at the same time retain most of the advantages of the Wing for touring. I was almost convinced that there were enough after market gizmos to make the bike nearly comfortable but what ended up changing my mind was that someone said that the FJR was top heavy thereby negating the 150 Lb. advantage. My traveling buddy bought a Triumph Trophy to replace a 1999 Goldwing 1500 but finally admitted he wouldn't have done that had he listened to my advice to get the 1800. He also dropped the Trophy will waiting to enter traffic from a parking lot. Unfortunately, the Trophy does not have as many after market protections and they are dramatically more expensive. Anyway, I am requesting any additional advice as I sort of have the bug again and it looks like crossing the entire continent is no longer on our agenda. 300-400 miles is probably the longest days in the rest of my years. Thanks for reading and for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:56 PM
FJR Top Gun

Okay, here's my .02 worth.

First, I've never ridden a Wing, so I can't speak for that. However, my IMPRESSION is that for very long, cross country touring, there probably isn't anything better than a wing.

And while, yes, we've all seen those videos of cops putting wings through the cones courses showing that, in the proper hands, they really can handle well, I can't imagine they'd handle anything like the FJR.

Your main question seems to focus on the supposed top-heaviness and the potential for droppage. I, personally, don't have that issue. I'm an average sized guy, 180 lbs, 5'11'. Mine is a Gen 1, 2003, and I can EASILY stand flat-footed on the ground while stopped. In very slow turns it takes a bit of acclimating because after all, this is still a 620+ lb machine. But man, get 'er rolling and I feel not a lot different than when I'm riding my wife's GSX650F. Seriously. But I can't imagine that the FJR is any harder to hold up at slow speeds than a wing.

If at all possible, try to get hold of an FJR for a few days and try it for yourself. Borrow or rent one if possible, or, heck, if finances allow, just buy a used one off Craig's list or cycletrader.com and if you don't like it, sell it.

As far as cross-country; I've done that - 1800 miles from Atlanta to Colorado in 3 days and for me, it was rough. Great wind protection - I have the Yamaha touring screen on, but my bum was pretty sore after awhile. I was averaging 600+ mile days, but it was too much. I have no doubt a wing would have been MUCH more comfortable.

Hope this helps somewhat.

* edited to add this *: Just re-read and saw where you're stating 300-400 mile days are going to be the norm/max for you now. I'm in exactly the same boat. In that case I wholeheartedly recommend the FJR and respectfully disagree with the response below me who says "Keep the Wing". I'd only keep it if I knew cross country trips and 500+ mile days were going to be in the future for me.

'08 GSX650F
'03 FJR1300
'07 GS500F
'86 FJ1200
'80 CB750F
'76 KZ750
'69 CB350
(and the spousal unit rides a Ninja 500!)

Last edited by WhatYes; 02-22-2016 at 02:01 PM.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Keep the wing

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:10 PM
FJR Top Gun

I rode a GL1800 for 11 years and could and did pick it up if I dropped it. I can't pick up my FJR.

The GL1800 has the bars that'll keep from from going over about 45 degrees in most cases, and even if it does, the bars make it easy to rock it back over to the tires. From there I could pick it up. There's no way in heck I can pick the FJR up.

Although the Goldwing is heavier, I think it carries that weight lower. And, it's got wider bars, which give you more leverage.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
While I haven't availed myself of the opportunity to ride a Wing, I've ridden an ST1100 for the better part of the past six years and have friends who have gone both directions. I picked up my 2007 FJR last week and I'm in heaven. My ST1100 was really great, but I got to a point where I was routinely out-riding the bike and so I felt that I needed a more athletic bike, which is how I came to the FJR (by way of everything from a Duc Multi to an FZ1 or two, to full-on sport bikes like the VFR. For me, the FJR is the right balance of athleticism and long-distance comfort. I tend to prefer 500+ mile days and there are a LOT of IB guys on FJRs, so it clearly CAN be crazy comfy.

If you're looking for a balance between the Wing and the FJR, you might consider the ST1300. It's lighter and smaller than a Wing, but it's definitely more Wing that FJR, but still has some legs. I honestly find the FJR stock position to be as or MORE comfy than the ST1300, but YMMV.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you want top heavy, try a ST1300 with a full tank of fuel........ I went from one of those to a Wing (to help SWAMBO with her back issues), then when she quit riding, I haappened upon an FJR in the showroom. Instantly, it was light and nimble, and that was in the showroom....... yes you can make an FJR as comfy as any with the right seat, windshield and handlebar risers, etc.
Tough choice, I'd say sit on one in a showroom or if you can ride one, all the better.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:44 PM
CSI
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
Keep the wing

If the impetus behind buying a new bike is solely based upon "But what if I drop it??", then I would agree with the above. Keep the wing.

The FJR will go over a lot further than the wing will go in the even of a drop.

I had a 20120 Wing, which I had to pick up a couple of times. Using the "Butt in the seat and walk it up" method is very easy.

I would NOT want to have to pick up the FJR...maybe if it had canyon cages on it? But again, I don't know how far it would go over even with canyon cages on it....I still suspect it would be quite a bit further than the Wing tho.
Polar likes this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 05:16 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
If you want top heavy, try a ST1300 with a full tank of fuel........
Isn't the fuel down low, just like on an ST1100? Part of what makes the ST1100 so comfy for slabbing is that everything is centered and low. I have picked up my ST the wrong way multiple times with no ill effects and I have a bad back. If I use the butt-walk method, it feels pretty trivial to me...I guess YMMV
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Last year this time I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if I should get rid of my dump truck and get a moped. With my dump truck I didn't have to worry about cutting my grass, I just took my lawn with me. If I put a trailer on the back of my FJR, custom two foot wide seats, so many crash bars it looks like a jungle gym, then maybe I'd contemplate buying a Wing. Dude, you are a Wing Nut, not a sport tourer, and a Wing IS NOT a sport tourer by any stretch of the imagination, Yes you can set up an FJR as a tourer, but it ain't a Wing, thank God.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukadog View Post
Isn't the fuel down low, just like on an ST1100? Part of what makes the ST1100 so comfy for slabbing is that everything is centered and low. I have picked up my ST the wrong way multiple times with no ill effects and I have a bad back. If I use the butt-walk method, it feels pretty trivial to me...I guess YMMV
It's a big-ass 7 gallon steel tank up high just like the FJR..... full of fuel, just tip it to the side a wee bit and over she goes. Good news about an ST is you won't destroy any plastic on a tipover. Or a Wing.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page