Back again with same question - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:33 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I bought my 2003 FJR a month ago.I have already had one near tip-over in my garage. The FJR is top heavy compared to 8 years of riding Yamaha XJ650 and XJ1100.

The FJR is great once it is rolling. It may take me quite some time to feel confident taking the FJR off of the center stand. It feels like it wants to tip over.

2003 FJR1300 45,000 miles January 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Good news about an ST is you won't destroy any plastic on a tipover. Or a Wing.
I proved that incorrect twice last year, replacing my left and right mirrors and mirror housings after being hit in a parking lot broadside and my bike volunteering to go over right after being parked for five minutes on level ground (squirels, I tells you!).
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 AM
FJR Top Gun

Top heavy is such a comparative thing. Is the FJR top heavy compared to a cruiser or a harley? Sure. Is it top heavy compared to a concourse? No.
No professional motorcycle comparison I have ever seen said the FJR was top heavy against other STs. Not the concourse, 2 bimmers, Trophy, etc. As a matter of fact the reviewers almost always said the FJR was the most competent in the sporting department. .
My first ride on an FJR I preformed a U turn on a one lane road from a standing start. I dont find it top heavy at all.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Top heavy is such a comparative thing. Is the FJR top heavy compared to a cruiser or a harley? Sure. Is it top heavy compared to a concourse? No.
No professional motorcycle comparison I have ever seen said the FJR was top heavy against other STs. Not the concourse, 2 bimmers, Trophy, etc. As a matter of fact the reviewers almost always said the FJR was the most competent in the sporting department. .
My first ride on an FJR I preformed a U turn on a one lane road from a standing start. I dont find it top heavy at all.
I would have to agree. I don't feel the FJR is top heavy either. After coming from a concours 14 the FJR feels very light & nimble. We are all different tho, so "top heavy" is very subjective. I'd recommend a demo ride on a used one if u can. Good luck on your decision
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've been riding for 2 years and have only had 2 bikes. Suzuki gs500 and a shadow 1100 so I don't have a whole lot to compare to, but both of those bikes are light and very easy to handle.

The fjr is definitely top heavy in comparison, but even with my beginner experience the only time it is ever noticeable is if I'm not on the throttle. I found u turns are surprisingly easy and never felt unstable at all.

Last edited by matt1300a; 02-25-2016 at 09:24 AM.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post

How tall are you?

2003 FJR1300 45,000 miles January 2016
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 12:01 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfCentury View Post
How tall are you?
5ft 9.
I do find the FJR comfort seat wider at the front than my bandit seat. Consequently I am not flat footed with both feet even though the seat is in the down position.
However I am not a "duck walker" If the bike is moving my feet are up on the pegs. Even at long on-ramp meters its clutch-clutch-brake. Never put my feet down. One I frequent is two lanes alternating 30 cars each lane.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Farkle Trainee

Best way to answer your question is seat time. Find one and put some miles on it. Then, you'll have your answer.

Have had two wings, one FJR, and in fairness to try to compare the two bikes isn't fair to either one.

Just my nonrefundable 2c.

FJR - 2014 ABS California Model

Indian Chieftain - 2016

Spyder RT S - 2011

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I've owned 3 FJRs and a 2007 Wing. My inseam is a short 30" and that's an issue with just about every bike. First FJR was a 2005 Gen I, then I went with the Wing. Had a blast riding it like a banshee, had titanium pucks on it just so you can drag the crap out of the pegs. I ride with officers, so we're aggressive by nature when it comes to the twisties. Even led the sport group at the dealer group rides with my Wing and they had trouble keeping up, you'd be surprised what you can do with a Wing and that's when I was taking it way easy for the group ride. I did have issues with dropping a few times, mainly at extremely low speeds and sharp turns which I had issues with. Once you get going it's fine, but at the extremely low speeds and when standing still you will feel all of the 925+lbs you carry with a Wing.

Second FJR came after the Wing (which I did 18K miles with in one year), which was the 2013 Gen III. Had it for a couple of years and ended up selling it right before buying a house. One of the reasons I ended up selling it was to try and find a bike that I can flat-foot, for safety reasons. When I had my Wing I did a sharp left turn and stuck my foot out (out of instinct), and it got stuck, doubled over and that's the most pain I've ever felt in my foot. It's never really healed right and hurts at times. With the '13 FJR I had issues with having to be on my toes and that was extremely uncomfortable while standing still and having to fight strong winds here in the open land of Texas.

So I set off to get a bike I could flat-foot. Tried the Honda CTX1300 and OMG, that is such a freaky bike to ride. I don't know what Honda was thinking with that bike, but I fully understand why it was only made for one year (2014) and why they are trying to sell new ones for half the original price - not for me. So I looked at the Wing again, same issues as before; the F6B, which has a wider seat and is actually more uncomfortable while being only 50 lbs less than the Wing; and then the 2014 Valkyrie F6C, which I can flat-foot and is 150lbs less than the Wing. OMG that is an incredible bike to ride, just a blast a minute. Gobbs of power with a low center of weight, same engine/power/torque as the Wing but super-light compared to the Wing itself. Was in love with the Valkyrie, had a deal to buy one, then started trying to figure out how I could make the trips that I do with my club to Deals Gap, to Mount Rushmore, to Pikes Peak, etc...

What I finally figured out is that there's almost no aftermarket for the Valkyrie - they stopped making that as well, it's only made for 2014 & 2015. No one is going to really develop a market for it. And then the reality that this is really a cruiser and will never travel like a touring bike will. I'm used to a Topbox, hard saddlebags, storage, ways to mount CB, GPS, charging devices on the go, and then not to mention the lack of real wind protection. I finally just realized the Valkyrie would be great as a 2nd bike but not what I really need now. What I would honestly be left with is a bunch of cruisers and I didn't want to go back to that - I had a Honda VTX1300C and loved it back then, but I like touring bikes too much for their power and versatility.

Ended up going back and bought a 2008 FJR Gen II which I have now. It came with a Corbin seat that actually has lowered the height significantly, to the point that I can almost flat-foot it. I have to say that I feel like I made the right decision going back to the FJR. I don't find the top-heavy being an issue as long as I can near flat-foot it. I dropped my 2005 FJR once and it landed on my Go-Pro and broke the housing, but that's pretty much it. I dropped the Wing more and that's just due to not having a good grip on it and me being inseam-challenged. I love the Wing for what it is, but I doubt I'll go back to it.

I don't know if any of this will help you with your evaluation, but I did happen to own both bikes and thought this might give you an insight. I struggled with what I was going to get next after selling my 2013 FJR and I'm surprised I went back, but for me the Corbin seat made a lot of difference.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

And once the price drops a little next year, my gut tells me I'm going after the '16 FJR ES. My gut will stay quiet for now though, just so my wife doesn't hear about the impending bike forecast...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page