'16 RTW vs '15 FJR-ES longer test ride - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 04:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiii View Post
BMW must have really changed the RT. I had a 2004 and it handled like a dump truck when compared to my 04 FJR. My 2012 FJR would make you throw it away. The only thing I liked on the BMW was the fairing !!
IMHO that is not true, I own both a 2013 FJR and a 2016 RTW..
They are two different bikes, the FJR is a supersport touring with emphasis on the sport side and the RTW is more on the touring side and 2 up....
As far as handling at low speeds the RTW is better than the FJR due to the boxer motor carrying it's weight down low and has a claimed weight of 604lbs to fjr's 639lbs. They are both great bikes but they do different things well...If you like to ride one up and have a fist full of power and a slick gearbox at a great price, than FJR is your Bike. If you like to ride 2 up, have great fuel mileage and have all the amenities of comfort, but you don't mind the outrageous price, than the RTW is your bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

16 R1200RTW, 14 DRZ400S, 13 FJR1300

Last edited by HappyRider1; 01-10-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:01 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The cost of ownership would keep me completely out of the BMW club, but I've logged thousands of miles on BMW RTs up and down the California coast.

To me it feels bigger, heavier and much more comfortable than an FJR... and less sporty in character. But trust me, the big girl can dance just fine. That boxer has beautiful torque and balance. Many an FJR pilot and many a sportbike pilot would not want to keep pace with somebody that knows how to ride it. It's capable of hooting lots louder than anybody should... on a public road.

I would never buy one though, because even if money were no object, I love the bulletproof nature of the FJR... and it feels lighter and more nimble, more entertaining for me.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

I agree Liquid on the price of ownership. BMW stands for bring my wallet...

16 R1200RTW, 14 DRZ400S, 13 FJR1300

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

there's no comparison in maintenance cost between the two....

2014 FJR1300 ES
2013 HD StreetGlide
2010 Honda GW
2009 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suz M109R
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
That boxer has beautiful torque and balance. Many an FJR pilot and many a sportbike pilot would not want to keep pace with somebody that knows how to ride it. It's capable of hooting lots louder than anybody should... on a public road.
100% agreement on that statement. I've got the riding partner that proves your statement daily. I too have experience on both, and I can tell you all that it's the indian, not the arrow, especially in the case of this comparison.

Happy riding...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 07:32 PM
CSI
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asahi Z View Post
100% agreement on that statement. I've got the riding partner that proves your statement daily. I too have experience on both, and I can tell you all that it's the indian, not the arrow, especially in the case of this comparison.

Happy riding...
Speaking of that.....

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/on...src=SOC&dom=fb

Last edited by CSI; 01-12-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page