What Did You Do To Your FJR Today? - Page 168 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 416Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1671 of 1803 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 07:21 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

What Did You Do To Your FJR Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatek6 View Post
Saturday, took the first decent ride since getting the '07 last October. A buddy and I made a 70 mile loop out west of the metro area. Need to tweak the front suspension some as it is turning in a bit abruptly.
Versatek6,

The FJR turning/handling depends a lot on tire pressures. A too-soft front tire turns in too easily, and requires effort to get upright again. A too-hard front tire will "stand up" in turns, requiring a constant effort to hold it down in a turn. At the "correct" tire pressure for your tire/weight combination, the FJR will steer in and out of turns easily, almost by thought command. My FJR handling is happy at 39 PSI Front, 42 PSI Rear. Tweak to your personal taste, of course. A few PSI either way can make a real difference.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1672 of 1803 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 01:00 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I learned right away that tire pressure is a big factor. Brought them op to 39/42 first thing. When I test drove it, the front only had 25#. I've never had to countersteer so hard!

I had been making adjustments to the front preload, compression and damping in the fall, and need to finish the process. I have been make notes at each change so I can tell what results I am getting - I'm almost there!

Since the rear is new, I may have to start over with that, or if it is acceptable, leave it alone for now. It was preset at 12 clicks out.

Thanks for the advice; always appreciated.
post #1673 of 1803 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 07:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

I usually have rear preload on SOFT and rebound on 9 clicks out . Even 2up at #
Go a click or 2 in for more weight or smooth pavement or out for lighter weight and or rougher roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"

post #1674 of 1803 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 08:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I wish all you guys would create a signature line and put the year/model of you bike there... can't remember who all has what bike and we've mentioned this many times.
V6, your '07 is undersprung, need fork springs to start... consider a Gen3 rear shock if you haven't got budget for an aftermarket... this Hard/Soft thing is, well, I don't know why Yamaha didn't go with adjustable preload instead..... bottom line, is you're trying to compensate with damping for undersprung to start with.....
The standard setting of 12 is wimpy... I usually say start with everything at 8, then adjust 2 clicks at a time either way, test it, adjust again, test it, get down to tweaking at 1 click... using riding experience over the conditions you ride in most. Rear shock is going to end up less than 8 most likely..... agree on tire pressures, keep them up.
Versatek6 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #1675 of 1803 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 09:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Dig line does not show up on taps talk mobile for me. But does on PC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #1676 of 1803 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 10:06 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I wish all you guys would create a signature line and put the year/model of you bike there... can't remember who all has what bike and we've mentioned this many times.
And it would be nice if folks showed their location?! I, for one, am curious about where in the world everyone is
RaYzerman and basicjim like this.
post #1677 of 1803 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post

DONE!

Quote:
V6, your '07 is undersprung, need fork springs to start... consider a Gen3 rear shock if you haven't got budget for an aftermarket... this Hard/Soft thing is, well, I don't know why Yamaha didn't go with adjustable preload instead..... bottom line, is you're trying to compensate with damping for undersprung to start with.....
The standard setting of 12 is wimpy... I usually say start with everything at 8, then adjust 2 clicks at a time either way, test it, adjust again, test it, get down to tweaking at 1 click... using riding experience over the conditions you ride in most. Rear shock is going to end up less than 8 most likely..... agree on tire pressures, keep them up.

Will look at the front springs as the next major piece of work. As my wife and I push 500# combined, that rear shock would be in for a beating, so that's done with the new Gen 3. Will try your suggestion and close the damping up to 8 and start from there. Thanks!

V6

2007 FJR 1300AE ("Cerulean Silver") - 2003 V-Strom ("Pearl Orpiment Yellow")
post #1678 of 1803 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 AM
Farkle Trainee

Finally got around to installing Rays ABS cable/switch and doing a full bleed. Embarrassed to say ive ignored this and its the poor girls first bleed (poor choice of words perhaps)
First ABS pulse literally blew my hand off the lever - wasnt prepared for it to be so strong. Ran two full reservoirs through each caliper nipple until the yellow fluid became clear, before activating the ABS procedure 3 times, then two more reservoirs. I did not see any change in the color after cycling the ABS, as i expected to - not sure why !
I then bled the clutch - OMG, that crap was Black as the ace of spades, and the reservoir actually had sediment on the bottom.

So easy to do this job - why did i procrastinate ? I never used to be this way! I was that guy that was always tinkering and pulling things apart just to figure how they worked. I once dismantled a used car at a dealership i used to work for, just to make sure it was worth purchasing. I seldom ever had to buy beer - friends always showed up with a six pack under their arm and something that needed fixed, so my fridge stayed full. I could go on, but the point is that we change i guess, and our priorities change. Now ive retired and im doing something i never thought id do - pay someone to do something for me !!
I paid a guy to finish roofing my house last summer, (after i told myself to get my stupid ass off the roof) and i went golfing !
N4HHE likes this.

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #1679 of 1803 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 01:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Versatek6,

The FJR turning/handling depends a lot on tire pressures. A too-soft front tire turns in too easily, and requires effort to get upright again. A too-hard front tire will "stand up" in turns, requiring a constant effort to hold it down in a turn. At the "correct" tire pressure for your tire/weight combination, the FJR will steer in and out of turns easily, almost by thought command. My FJR handling is happy at 39 PSI Front, 42 PSI Rear. Tweak to your personal taste, of course. A few PSI either way can make a real difference.
This tweaking of tire pressures by a couple of psi is an interesting issue.
Fact: optimum ambient temperature when pressuring a tire is 70 deg F. So to get whatever you want to be your correct starting point, your garage, or whatever, has to be 70F.
Now, Ive done this and set my front to 40psi.
Then Riding on a day that became very hot, i watched my FOBO TPMS report a temp over 100 (dont recall exactly what it was) and a pressure that went to 50psi and triggered the alarm i had programmed into the FOBO.

This is also why your tires report low pressures in the winter and we need to pump em up !

So a fluctuation of 10 psi is happening in this scenario. Pretty much negates discussion of a certain pressure being ideal.
Do we start out our day with a lower pressure to compensate ?

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A

Last edited by Kiwiaudio; 03-27-2020 at 02:01 PM.
post #1680 of 1803 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 02:24 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

What Did You Do To Your FJR Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiaudio View Post
This tweaking of tire pressures by a couple of psi is an interesting issue. Fact: optimum ambient temperature when pressuring a tire is 70 deg F. So to get whatever you want to be your correct starting point, your garage, or whatever, has to be 70F.
Now, Ive done this and set my front to 40psi. Then Riding on a day that became very hot, i watched my FOBO TPMS report a temp over 100 (dont recall exactly what it was) and a pressure that went to 50psi and triggered the alarm i had programmed into the FOBO.
This is also why your tires report low pressures in the winter and we need to pump em up !

So a fluctuation of 10 psi is happening in this scenario. Pretty much negates discussion of a certain pressure being ideal.
Do we start out our day with a lower pressure to compensate ?
Kiwiaudio,

Yep. Tire pressures are always measured cold (for accuracy). The normal heat/pressure buildup is "built-in" to the tire pressures listed, and all is well then. No "negation" is involved. I watch my TPMS for the higher pressure to come in, before expecting the correct performance/handling to be in the game for me. Still, I know exactly where in PSI to start, to get that good result.

All IMHO, of course.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page