Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/)
-   FJR Central (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-fjr-central/)
-   -   New FJR owner (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-fjr-central/31986-new-fjr-owner.html)

chizzo 03-08-2014 10:08 AM

New FJR owner

My new FJR story:
So I have been looking at buying an FJR for about a year. I currently ride a 1997 vulcan 1500 (for sale). I wasn't going to pull the trigger until next summer, but a 2006 AE came up on craigslist for $3495 with 23,000 miles and "minor scratches". So obviously this gets my attention and I have to go see it. He had some pictures of the bike on CL but none close up.

So the morning I am going to see the bike I get an e-mail asking me to call the guy. I'm thinking "great it's sold". He tells me that he was loading the bike on to his trailer and it fell over and the front left plastics are all messed up. I still go see it because it is $3495. He has done $1000 in damage to the plastic according to local dealer pricing. He is mad as can be. He hates the bike because he is scared to death to ride it anyway. The minor scratches are just that and it looks like I can buff them out for the most part. Everything on the bike works and he has a heated seat that he did not even know was an aftermarket.

I tell him that I will pay him full price minus $800 for the damage and he takes it. So now I have a 2006 FJR1300AE for $2700 with a clear title. I found OEM parts online for $600.

All that to say "Hi! I'm new!"

n7slc 03-08-2014 10:37 AM

And I thought I got a good deal on my '08! Heck, I would have jumped at that too!

TeflonRon 03-08-2014 10:47 AM

Awesome deal. Welcome!

FineJollyRide 03-08-2014 11:28 AM

Good snag! Welcome and enjoy.

chizzo 03-08-2014 12:30 PM

Thanks guys. I will post pictures when I pick it up. Hopefully Tuesday. I was going to use Bikebandit.com to replace parts but partzilla.com has better prices. Any suggestions on where to get plastics would be great. I am assuming they come painted and it being an '06 I wouldn't think the paint on the bike will be faded.

I have been searching for a white and this was by far the best deal I have seen on a Gen II. I thought for sure it would need new rubber but they are good. I hope I like the clutch!

a031363 03-08-2014 01:10 PM

I like the AE bikes. Ever over-rev when starting from a stand still? Ever kill the engine because a lapse in attention allowed the revs to drop too low to start out? Ever come to a stop light, holding the clutch lever and have your hand slip or start to ache because the red light is much longer than you expected? If you have the Auto Clutch, no worries! These situations will never be an issue for you again!

What do you give up for this F1 race car-type technology? Blipping your throttle and bump starting. As if bump starting was really a consideration on a 630# bike! And you don't show off blipping your throttle, do you? ;-)

Hope you enjoy your new to you bike! Awesome deal!

SoCalFJR 03-08-2014 01:26 PM

Congrats n the "new" ride!

Where you located??

Check the date on the tires.....if it's 4 years old or more I'd replace them.
Just because they "look" good the rubber may be hardened and your grip won't be that good.

chizzo 03-08-2014 03:23 PM

I am in PA right on the Mason-Dixon. I will have to ask him about the tires.

Bikes 03-08-2014 03:47 PM

Welcome....smokin deal......half what I have in my 07...... Enjoy....

chizzo 03-08-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikes (Post 320042)
Welcome....smokin deal......half what I have in my 07...... Enjoy....

Thanks. I can't get over it. This is bike number 8 or so and I think I will be keeping this one for a while. I bought a bandit 1200 two years ago but my wife hated it. So then I bought my second Vulcan 1500 but I can't get that rush of a big I4 out of my head. I am hoping that the "new" ride will be good for both of us.