FJR Owners Forum banner

They Still Can't See Me

7K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  Amski 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Happens to me all the time on my commute in the DC metro area, Brutha. We could be coming down the road looking and sounding like a Macy's Day Parade and there would still be someone out there who'll try to take us out.

All we can do is stay alert and stay defensive.

#4 ·
Same thing happened to me today however I was on my Sporty Roadster heading to the hardware store. Your reaction reminds me of myself.........hand gesturing up and letting a few choice words out. I use an 3/4 open face helmet on my sporty when I'm in town and shouting obcenities to idiot drivers is much more effective.

#5 · (Edited)
Here in New York City, that's just someone changing lanes in normal fashion. Around here, when you are right next to them, they actually look right at you and gradually come into the lane forcing you to brake. People do this to you when your in a car as a common practice. So when you are on a bike, they have even less reservation about pushing into the lane.

It's been even worse since the incident where the group of punk riders in Manhattan committed the incident with the SUV driver that made national news.

The mentality I try to have, is that is my responsibility to look out for stupid... If I don't accept the fact that I am surrounded by stupid and that stupid's sole reason for existing is to try to put me down on the ground, it's my fault whatever happens.

It's a real video game out there, only we don't usually get more than one life when we play it.

#6 ·
Maybe I am missing something here but the guy clearly turned on his turn signals warning of a lane change. Not being critical here, just saying. In truth, being a CT resident I actually enjoy driving in CA because there, unlike where I come from, drivers are not asking your permission to enter your lane they are telling you they are coming. Here in CT drivers seem to feel like they control their lane, often exhibiting bad manners by speeding up to prevent someone from making a lane change. I have been riding for over 40 years now and have learned one thing: accidents and incidents happen, and always will. Thankfully, in your case, there was no harm done. Maybe we all should just chill a little.

#8 ·
ejkulak, I don't think that anyone that hasn't ridden, or driven, here in the Tri-State area would ever actually believe how intense and aggressive the driving actually is on our roadways.

Running up your way on 95 during the week can be borderline insanity... It's definitely not for the faint of heart! (laughing)

#11 ·
I saw two things:

1) Proper signal by SUV driver which should have initiated a slow down by motorcyclist to provide lane change opportunity.

2) Motorcyclist perilously close (or in) to blind spot and makes it difficult for SUV driver to see the motorcyclist.

When I see a signal in situations like this I back away so I'm not creating a tight situation (plus I'm not sure I trust exactly what the driver is going to do). I never advance which is what I saw here.

Dan

#13 ·
I saw two things:

1) Proper signal by SUV driver which should have initiated a slow down by motorcyclist to provide lane change opportunity.

2) Motorcyclist perilously close (or in) to blind spot and makes it difficult for SUV driver to see the motorcyclist.

When I see a signal in situations like this I back away so I'm not creating a tight situation (plus I'm not sure I trust exactly what the driver is going to do). I never advance which is what I saw here.

Dan
Good post. I've been called unkind words on another forum ;) for suggesting the rider may have been at least partly responsible for close calls, but we always have to look at these things to figure out what we, the rider, could have done differently.

#12 ·
Bergman, I agree with all points.

Another thing that we have to take into account is that the passenger side of automobiles have "Object May Appear Further Away" mirrors.

Because of the small size of the rider and the bike, it can sometimes be difficult to judge exactly how close a bike is to the back of the vehicle.

I have often thought a bike was about two car lengths behind me, only to turn my head and find it's only about 10 feet. The difference is, we as riders "look" for bikes and our brains are used to the size perspective they represent on the road.

However, I think that most auto drivers don't have that insight and they see everything in an automobile size perspective only.

#14 ·
We're always invisible, no matter what we're wearing.

I'm told by a friend that drives an ambulance that people will merge into him while his lights and sirens are blazing.

I never ride through a green light or past a driveway without expecting something stupid.

I found this video very interesting...

#17 ·
We're always invisible, no matter what we're wearing.

I'm told by a friend that drives an ambulance that people will merge into him while his lights and sirens are blazing.

I never ride through a green light or past a driveway without expecting something stupid.
I'm a firm believer that some people can't see, or don't notice, anything but cars, trucks, etc. They look -- no cars -- all clear.

I watched a car run over a large, bright red ice chest in the road while driving with my wife no long ago. The road was straight and flat, and we could see the ice check for probably a quarter mile. I didn't know what it was, but I knew it was red and not moving. The car in front of me creamed it; his brakes lights didn't come on until after he'd hit it. :roll:

We need to act like we're invisible because to some folks, we are.

#19 ·
I would ditch the highviz gear get all black and ride with a black balaclava or the skull face protector the harley guys wear with a glock in full view. Its almost like you appear to be a dump truck and you get all kinds of room:)
Not sure why, maybe I should do a study.

#20 ·
Well this happens everywhere - lets face it and no matter how much Hi-Viz we wear and actions we take to protect ourselfs we need to ride like they can't see us.

They are probably on the phone or texting anyway :rolleyes:

At least you can lane split in California just like our cousins in the UK.

#22 ·
#24 ·
Same here. In the video in the opening post, that's when I'd love to have a LOUD horn. The rider was never in any serious danger and had plenty of time to react. To me, in that situation, a loud horn is just a way of saying "Wake up!"

Relying on a horn to protect you is ludicrous. Relying on it to proclaim righteous indignation is kinda satisfying :)

#29 ·
Come on Weljo, what did you expect by posting that video? Did you think everyone would agree with you because you were riding a motorcycle. Clearly things could have been done differently here and you were given a free pass in that there was no accident or injury. You may think you were totally in the right but others who viewed your video observed things you didn't. Let it go brother...

#38 ·
I think he's gone on the offensive folks ;)

Personally I saw nothing terribly terribly dangerous in the video. The driver of the car was rude, but he sure gave ample warning of his intentions. The rider had plenty of time and space to react. I thought the rider's response was ...... interesting.

As for that retaliatory pass (I guess you showed him :) ), there was plenty of room. No biggie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.