Is it true? FJR is on the list. - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2021, 01:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfjr View Post
I would be very surprized if Yamaha continued to build the FJR if they cant be sold in Europe. Just cant see it being viable for a bike that already isn't a big seller.

Other alternatives out there.
Like what? BMW? Too expensive and a very limited dealer network. Guzzi? Likewise, an extremely limited dealer network in the US. Kaw C-14? If they had been serious, the C-14 would have had cruise control on it by 2010 or so. Honda? Bailed on the market. Triumph? Poor quality control killed the Trophy.

An the rest of the medium and large chain driven standards? I realize that chain tech has come a long way from the -70s, but you really cannot just hang saddlebags an a windshield on a bike and call it a sports-tourer. Well, you can, but you shouldn't.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 10:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJDBA View Post
Are any sales numbers actually released? Do we know how many FJR's are sold vs Super Tenere sales for example?

Yamaha has never published those numbers. Some have speculated based on sales numbers from a dealership or two that they know but that's highly suspect.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 08:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Like what? BMW? Too expensive and a very limited dealer network.

Thats an issue only for those who can't afford one and don't live near a dealer.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Gone 2016 Harley Davidson Fat Bob

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 10:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Internet search says 148 BMW motorcycle dealers. Of those 148 maybe 12 or 15 are long time dealers and worth a chit. The rest come and go like melting icicles.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 03:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfjr View Post
Thats an issue only for those who can't afford one and don't live near a dealer.
I can afford one. I just don't choose to spend the money. And most of us do not live near a good dealer.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 01:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Last I’ll say on all this, Europe is far from being the only or largest market ! It would be quite interesting to see the actual sales numbers in the various markets, particularly those that don’t adhere to the EU5 standards. I’d bet if you looked at the Far East (China, Korea, Russia, Turkey, etc) and then look at Oz & New Foundland, the Philippines as well as all the America’s that the total FJR’s sold in Europe alone would be fairly small.

Then I look at the “cruiser” market where I’d bet most if not all of that market is strictly USA and then look at the fact that the tooling has been paid for on the fjr for years, it’s a relatively cheap bike to build for Yamaha, barring recalls of course. I would bet particularly in the current sparse market that they will continue in the market for some time to come, especially considering that most of the competition is gone. My 02.
Bill Lumberg and Donk like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 02:48 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
After becoming certified to work on BMW Triumph and Ducati years ago I found that if you buy euro you better have something to ride. Electrical nightmares from BMW TRiumph is just Triumph and ducs are incredibly over priced you dont want to scratch the price tag.
Never had a harley make a year without belt or primary issues. all thats left is Aisian.
Bill Lumberg and mobilemike like this.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 03:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Steve, I don't know. I figure that either way, it's a crap shoot. If Honda had updated the ST and the little NT, they would still be selling them,maybe not as many as they would like, but the market would still be there.

Gray Squall, Ducati is just Italy's revenge for losing WW II.
passx likes this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 06:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Squall View Post
After becoming certified to work on BMW Triumph and Ducati years ago I found that if you buy euro you better have something to ride. Electrical nightmares from BMW TRiumph is just Triumph and ducs are incredibly over priced you dont want to scratch the price tag.
Never had a harley make a year without belt or primary issues. all thats left is Aisian.
KTM? I had a ‘13 and a ‘19 Ducati Multistrada. Put a ton of miles on both, did Iron Butt rides on both, never had a single issue. Kinda wish I kept the ‘19 but had the chance to sell it and come out whole. Any time I can ride a bike for a year for the cost of tires and oil I’m happy. I certainly can’t complain about the cost of owning a Duc.
passx likes this.

‘13 FJR
‘13 990 SMT
‘06 R1200RT P (it followed me home)
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 01:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ducs seem to be a lot like BMWs. They seem to fall into two extremes: great bikes or lemons.

A few years back in Wyoming, I encountered a Duc owner (new bike) from North Carolina. After three months, it ate second gear. Well, OK, that can happen to anyone. He said it took nearly six months for the dealer to round up all the parts. He said that after a year and an estimated $20K in parts and labor, it still isn't quite right.

Now, because WY is a fur piece from NC, the bike is obviously rideable. His riding partner had a BMW GS1200.
passx likes this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page