2021 Ducati Multistrada - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 01:51 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Vibroplex! Haven't heard that name in 50 years. Now that you've jogged my brain cell, it occurs to me that a Vibroplex is kinda like an F1 paddle shifter......but for signaling in for Morse code, not gear shifting.

Gordon. (ex WA1AAN)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 11.49.42 PM.png (152.0 KB, 12 views)

-------------------------------------
Yamaha FJR 1300A 2007 Gen II (Texas Aggie Maroon)
Triumph Sprint ST 2005 Blue and Noisy
Triumph Sprint ST 2003 Red and Tame
Ducati ST3 2005 Rosso
Ducati Pantah 600SL 1983
Ducati SD Darmah 900 1978
Yamaha RD400D 1977
BSA Victor Shooting Star Legbreaker 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 09:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For me Ducatiís are pure art, would love to own one but canít convince myself that between the reliability, maintenance costs and the total lack of a dealer network is worth the buy in. Absolutely beautiful, innovative bikes, just to expensive for my retired blood.
Little Joe likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 11:35 AM
Training wheels fitted!

My torrid love affair started on a Sunday in early February 2007. A drop-dead beauty in a gorgeous red dress and the model sitting on it was not flawed either. After only 30 seconds of sitting in the saddle, I knew I do anything to own that immaculate machine. The next morning, I headed to the local motorcycle dealer to place a deposit on a 2007 Ducati 1098. Much to my dismay, they had sold out of all 23 units they were slatted to get for that year. Imagine the most beautiful girl in school saying she will go out with you "for real" and your parents telling you NO; that is not even close to how discouraged I felt. One small glimmer of hope still lingered as the salesman told me, some people have big dreams, much bigger than their finances can support, and usually a few potential buyers back out; I was number three on the alternates list. Many months went by with a disturbing number of visits to the motorcycle dealer to check my status. Through an entire riding season up here in MN, I waited and kept riding my faithful 05'FJR until one day in September, and I just happened to stop in on the way home from work. The salesman and fellow motorcycle instructor had a quirky smile on his face. He said the demand was so great for the bike that Ducati decided to send out some 08' early releases, and I was number three on the list! A few weeks later, I got the call; the miracle was about to happen. I was overwhelmed with joy for a few moments; then reality hit, I had not told my wife about my imminent purchase. We had always talked about finances, so I did not think it would be wise to make such a significant purchase without talking to her first. I nervously sat her down and said, "I have to tell you something." She immediately looked concerned and thought something terrible had happened. I told her how I became involved with the eventual ownership of this bike but did not want to make the final commitment without her blessing. "A motorcycle, she said? I thought you were going to tell me you found a new woman." Little did she know she was closer to the truth than she realized.

I had never ridden a Ducati, but after owning several sportbikes over the years, I figured it could not be much different; boy was I wrong. The bike was tight and precise; it did not pull away like the Honda's, Yamaha's, or Suzuki's, but once it was rolling, WOW, what a sensational feeling. But even more impressive was that sound, that glorious sound coming from this sleek little red machine; I was absolutely in heaven. I even adorned it with a custom license plate, something I had never done before but wanted to do at some point in my life (bucket list). Nick Ienatsch, for those who remember Sport Rider and Motorcyclist magazine, you know those pretty, colorful books we would get in the mail every month? Well, Nick made the statement that the Ducati 1098 was just a dead-sexy bike, and I could not agree more. So, I went to the DMV to fill out the paperwork for my new custom license plate 'DEDSXY' A month later, it arrived, and my new girlfriend had a name, and I had a nickname that stuck with me for over a decade (not the worse I've been called in my life). In the Spring of 08', I installed the carbon fiber Termignoni exhaust(DB killers removed) and finally had the bike of my dreams. My wife said she could hear me from more than a 1/4 mile away, and the neighbors were not too keen on me returning from work late at night. Everywhere I went, people commented on how beautiful my bike was, like walking around with Miss America on my arm everywhere I went. Even my wife was jealous of my love affair with this bike, saying, "you spend more time with that bike than you do me sometimes."

I treated this bike with every bit of love and affection a person can give an inanimate object, but affairs such as this are not meant to last. After 33K nearly flawless miles, another man stepped in and ruined my perfect relationship. A poorly performed 3rd service saw this bike reduced to a giant red paperweight that would not idle or run correctly. After three months of arguing, bargaining, begging, and tireless searching for answers, I decided to part ways with the bike I so desperately wanted to keep. No amount of money seemed to fix whatever problem eluded more than a dozen mechanics and Ducati themselves. The final straw was a quote from the shoddy mechanic who performed the service. He stated, "well, that is part of owning a Ducati, part of the character." I was asking myself, how can a bike go from 33K trouble-free miles to a piece of junk in 2 days? Either way, I was done. Infatuation has a way of blinding us from reality, even when it is punching us right in the face. Once it started spending more time with my wallet than with me, then it was over.

I like to remember all the good times I had with the bike and how it made me feel each time I rode it. No matter how bad the day was when I walked out to the parking lot and saw that bike sitting there, I would think to myself, wow, I get to ride that home. For me, the Ducati has been the only bike where I felt like "I" was part of the bike. Once I sat on it, my brain was directly connected, and anything I thought, the motorcycle would instinctively do. I have never found another bike that has made me feel the same, whether admiring it parked at the local coffee shop or riding with zest through the twisty back roads. I have had fleeting thoughts of getting involved with the red temptress again. Now I only see it as a hyperfocused machine that, even with the best love and attention, will someday rear its ugly unfaithful head, leaving me feeling even more dejected than the first time.

Here is our wedding photo from happier times. Yes, I truly loved that bike(emotionally, not physically).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1745 (2).jpg (200.0 KB, 16 views)
Little Joe likes this.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 05:33 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
. . . The V4 Multi is an incredible gutsy move on Ducati’s part. Imagine if HD had done something like that instead of backing themselves into a corner? Imagine if Yamaha had done something like that with the FJR instead of just writing it off. I’m not saying they should copy Ducati with a V4 but take an already successful bike and reinvent it and try and make it better.
Harley owners are clearly uninterested in out-of-the-box performance. They apparently would rather spend basketfuls of money on "performance" kits. Look at the H-D market reception of the V-Rod.

In fact, I am surprised that Yamaha has stayed in what is a niche market with even an old design even if the tooling and production costs are largely sunk costs. Even Honda bailed on the S-T market with the termination of their STs and NTs nearly 10 years ago. If you look at an S-T comparison today, you will find BMW, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and a small handful of minor players. (Even Ducati is a minor player in this market.) Every one just hangs hard luggage on one of their standard models.

Well, shucks. If all you need is hard luggage, I built an S-T back in 1970 when I fitted Sportster saddlebags to my Bonneville. Ran all over the eastern USA on it.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnC; 11-13-2020 at 05:45 PM.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 08:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

I wasnít implying that HD should build a performance bike, I was trying to say that if they had changed aka modernized their motorcycle somewhere along the line they would be in a better place than they are now. At some point progress requires starting over with a clean sheet which is especially hard if you already have a successful model. BMW has managed to do it again and again with their boxer bikes.
I think Ducati has a dedicated touring platform in the Multistrada. If they were ďhanging bags on a standardĒ then they would still be selling something like an ST3. The line between sport touring and adventure touring is getting more and more blurred. The only way you can tell the true intent of many bikes is by looking at wheel size. Nowadays what looks like an adventure touring bike can out handle many sportier looking bikes and do it with more rider comfort. I originally owned a Multistrada and an FJR because I thought they were SO different. As time went on I discovered they were very similar in what they can do. Lots of good bikes out there pick the one you like sitting on.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 08:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Donk, totally agree ! Don’t know if you’ve ever ridden a V-Rod but they really hit it out of the park (except the ergo’s, just terrible) that bike was just great, but it didn’t “potato-potato-potato” so the faithful ignored it for the most part. That motor would’ve been great in a lot of their platforms but se’ la ve’ .

On the Multistrada it suffers from a common problem of all the adventure-tourers and that is seat height. Not all of us has a 34-36” inseam, I sit on them and usually a number of the KTM’s at the bike show every year and my short 30” inseam tells me those bikes WILL spend a lot of time on their sides on the ground. I wonder if they ever actually use real people to model these bikes? As it is, never gonna happen for me, then once you figure in the buy-in and complete lack of dealers, it ain’t never gonna happen.

I keep re-finding my easy to flat foot, lighter, cheaper, easier to manage antiques. Not as technologically advanced but the simplicity still puts a smile on my 66yr old face. The FJR is kind of on the edge due to it’s weight and height, but it is a great bike ! The pure effortlessness of it just makes me smile but between my age & back problems it may be on the short list ! Maybe a more loved & used home.
Donk likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

@passx I remember the Vrod and yes I agree it had potential. I also agree with you about seat height. Being of equal 30Ē inseam myself I wonder the same thing. Donít these manufacturers know how many more bikes they could sell if the average person could both comfortably get on them and then touch the ground? Ducati did fix some of the issue on the Ď15 and newer Multis by designing a lower seat height on the bike. Itís still a little bit of like getting on a swaybacked horse, good luck getting your leg past the passenger seat when you get on. The Super Adventure is too tall no doubt but itís narrow enough so itís no worse than the FJR to hold up. Your leg hangs straight down instead of U shaped so net foot position is about the same. I will admit Iíd love it if the bike were 1/2Ē lower. The latest and greatest isnít always that and sometimes it makes the older stuff look even better.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page