2021 Ducati Multistrada - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 11:18 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I had an 1199 Panigale for seven years and absolutely loved the bike. But it was a high maintenance mistress. Iím glad I had it, but donít miss the maintenance costs, and more things went wrong than all the other bikes Iíve owned since 1971 combined.
I could say the same about the 1991 Corvette I had ..saved for it for 6 years ..paid cash ...disappointed after about a week ( rides like a tank) ..spent more money fixing it then all the cars I have ever owned ... ..sure looked great though
Little Joe and passx like this.

2010 FJR 1300 2003 Suzuki bandit 1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 02:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemike View Post
Always wondered if the Italian Army lost because Ducati built their radios?
Well, Marconi is credited with inventing the first usable form of long distance radio communication, so in a way, the Italians had a head start.

Too bad the Italians didn't realize exactly what they had.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 09:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Well, Marconi is credited with inventing the first usable form of long distance radio communication, so in a way, the Italians had a head start.

well he lost the patent fight to Tesla ..at least in USA ,, but for some reason everyone says that marconi invented it ..

Tesla was embroiled in other problems at the time, but when Marconi won the Nobel Prize in 1911, Tesla was furious. He sued the Marconi Company for infringement in 1915, but was in no financial condition to litigate a case against a major corporation. It wasn't until 1943óa few months after Tesla's deathó that the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Tesla's radio patent number 645,576.
passx likes this.

2010 FJR 1300 2003 Suzuki bandit 1200

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 10:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Having owned Multistradas? Multistradi? whatever plural is for Multistrada in the past they are as good as any bike out there. Iíve put tons of miles on them without issue. I think itís great that Ducati had the guts to break with tradition and use valve springs in the new V4 Multi. Iím not sure Iím on board with this radar driven adaptive cruise but I guess piling on technology is what gets people to buy new bikes? Be interesting to see what fuel range is on it as the V4 Panigale is as thirsty as a CP4. Iím not running out to buy one but itís great to see the number of new bikes Ducati has released in the last couple of years. Better than watching model line ups shrink as models are discontinued or seeing the same bike in a new color or worse yet getting 2 front wheels.
Myfjr and jjscsix like this.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post

well he lost the patent fight to Tesla ..at least in USA ,, but for some reason everyone says that marconi invented it ..

Tesla was embroiled in other problems at the time, but when Marconi won the Nobel Prize in 1911, Tesla was furious. He sued the Marconi Company for infringement in 1915, but was in no financial condition to litigate a case against a major corporation. It wasn't until 1943—a few months after Tesla's death— that the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Tesla's radio patent number 645,576.
I LOVE how our conversations can morph into these little rabbit holes. Isn’t that the coolest thing about the community here?

Okay...as for the radio stuff. Oddly enough I have an interest in radio and actually have a first generation RCA Radiola II from 1918. At one point I had over 200 antique radios. And.....I actually had a part time “retirement” job in Knoxville at one of the oldest telecom companies in America called “Vibroplex”.......they hand make telegraph keys......yep....there is a market for good ole fashioned telegraph keys and I was building them !!! There was only me and one other guy named Stan building these telegraph keys. The owner Scott had amazing knowledge of shortwave.

Oh yeah.... and for the 2021 Multistrada........It has a 5.8 gallon tank so that must be a pretty good range.....right? I had a 2012 MTS and it’s range was not ideal. So maybe Ducati is trying to appeal to us ?
passx and gmeltzer like this.

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 04:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

That's why I said, "Well, Marconi is credited . . . " I have heard of Vibroplex. If I ever get my Morse Code speed up to where it would be worth it, I'd love to own one. And I too have an interest in radio - and pretty much all things electronical. I have over 50 years of experience, both military and civilian, maintaining military commo and radar systems. I also restore, by your standards, semi-vintage electronics from the -50s and -60s. And I hold an Extra Class ham license - KX5JSC

Donk, I think the plural of "Multistrada" (the "-a" suffix is feminine gender) should be "Multistradae" (feminine plural), undoubtedly appropriate for a family of really sexy, temperamental motorcycles.

(I should at least end on a motorcycle note. )
Donk likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 07:10 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Isn't it a two cylinder, chain driven adevnture style motorcycle? Nothing like FJR
Barry58 likes this.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 12:45 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

All this talk about maintenance costs and no one mentions how they abandoned their signature Desmo system and timing belts for valve springs and timing chains? This is the only reason Id even consider a Ducati.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 09:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagefree View Post
All this talk about maintenance costs and no one mentions how they abandoned their signature Desmo system and timing belts for valve springs and timing chains? This is the only reason Id even consider a Ducati.
I do believe I did. Congratulating them for breaking with tradition. Desmodronic valve train is great for making hp in a race engine but limited for longevity of service intervals in a touring bike. It doesnít have a trellis frame either although there is a visible trellis subframe to make it look somewhat traditional. The V4 Multi is an incredible gutsy move on Ducatiís part. Imagine if HD had done something like that instead of backing themselves into a corner? Imagine if Yamaha had done something like that with the FJR instead of just writing it off. Iím not saying they should copy Ducati with a V4 but take an already successful bike and reinvent it and try and make it better.
passx likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 11:17 PM
FJR Top Gun

Google Harley Nova

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page