• 1 Post By Ludwig61
  • 1 Post By passx
  • 2 Post By ForJoyRider

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Will this mount kill my subframe?

https://www.amazon.com/SHAD-Y0FJ16ST.../dp/B00IHS4M1U

I ended up getting the cheaper fjr I posted about last week. Subframe is in good shape but the top box is mounted using this kit and not the one that replaces the grab bars. Should I be concerned? It will be used by the wife as a back rest so o want to make sure I’m not over stressing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 07:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

In reality, it is doing nothing to protect the part of the subframe most prone to cracking... remove back seat and look where it hooks in... right about that area in the tail......
BlueRider likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 08:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Here's a typical Gen2/3 subframe fracture:

"If ya can't be handsome, ya might as well be handy!"

2004 FJR1300

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 08:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo13 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/SHAD-Y0FJ16ST.../dp/B00IHS4M1U

I ended up getting the cheaper fjr I posted about last week. Subframe is in good shape but the top box is mounted using this kit and not the one that replaces the grab bars. Should I be concerned? It will be used by the wife as a back rest so o want to make sure Iím not over stressing it.
That is not the correct rack for your bike. You need a Y0FJ15ST. Here is SHAD's page on it: https://www.shadusa.com/collections/...ducts/y0fj15st

The correct rack replaces the stock rack and has grab handles.

You might also look at the "passenger safety belt" products. She'd be holding on to you, and that's probably better.
BlueRider likes this.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 02:19 AM
Farkle Trainee

What Ray and Ludwig say. That mount is very minimal, basically junk, and will eventually cause a subframe failure. If you plan on doing any serious riding with a case on the back with your wife resting on it, I'd go for the new mount ASAP. $100 well spent.
The pics of the SHAD mount leave a lot to be desired on that website, but it looks a lot like my first Gen GIVI mount that has grab bars integrated into the mount that offer a great deal of subframe support.

Pic for reference of grab bar design only. Good fortune, and great bike you got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b-GIVIrack (1)1.jpg (57.8 KB, 20 views)

'04 FJR1300
ZRX
KLR
KZ
Z1-R
LTD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 09:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Golgo, that is the exact mount I had on my 14a in addition to a stiffy kit when I found my broken subframe. Pull the topbox off and don’t use it until you get a proper mount like the tube rack or the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack. What you have is basically junk !

I would also add a stiffy as well because quite frankly with out it on mine with the broken subframe there would’ve been piece’s of the back of my bike all over the road. On my bike I kept things light in the top box thanks to many warnings from the guy’s here about broken subframes. And probably 95% of the time my top box was empty. So with that mount you’ll probably notice that the top box flops around which is transferred into the subframe causing it to break,take the box off! That is the older mount that Shad originally offered prior to the updated tube rack, don’t use it !

Also Gary’s picture of the broken frame is spot on although mine was in many more piece’s.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-23-2020 at 09:04 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 11:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I ordered the one shown above, but to my surprise I received the much sturdier tube support, which basically replaces the OEM "handles". Initially I was pissed because I got the wrong part, but now I am happy as it seems to be the right thing to install as it's much sturdier.

2016 ES
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 10:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I’m thinking that maybe Shad figured it out and discontinued the mount above because they figured it out that their mount was a contributor to broken subframes & the legal group pushed for a solution like the Givi sr357 that was the one with the good rep.

Even though they all plead ignorance I’d bet that there was a lot of discussions behind closed doors at Yamaha and Shad despite their claims when mine broke that they’d never heard of that before, and that I had to have done something to cause it to break, it had to be my fault. Again, only use a givi or Shad tube rack or the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack.
maximrebel likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-23-2020 at 10:32 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 03:41 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Then again...on some marital days who hasn't hoped for that subframe to break??!!!!!
Joey and ReRose like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page