Making the wife comfy - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mopheadama

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Making the wife comfy

I certainly prefer my FJR to a barge like a cruiser, though my wife like the luxury of the seat, back support and less angled position of her lower leg on the latter. She also like grab rails, not that I am a wild and crazy rider. I have lowered the passenger pegs, but she would like a bit more leg extension. Has anyone fabricated or know of any professional who can fabricate and peg extender-extender? How about grab rails? Serious inquiry here. Snarky comments are not needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 10:37 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Making the wife comfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDuane View Post
I certainly prefer my FJR to a barge like a cruiser, though my wife like the luxury of the seat, back support and less angled position of her lower leg on the latter. She also like grab rails, not that I am a wild and crazy rider. I have lowered the passenger pegs, but she would like a bit more leg extension. Has anyone fabricated or know of any professional who can fabricate and peg extender-extender? How about grab rails? Serious inquiry here. Snarky comments are not needed.
DrDuane,

The stock plastic FJR rear rack is useless as grab-handles, but the upgrade aluminum version should be okay. You may need a sub-frame reinforcement, as well, if you add a tailbox. There are rear rack/tailbox systems, which provide their own good reinforcements. Saw a tailbox with backrest padding and armrests lately, made for an Indian, but there may be something that works for the FJR out there. Be aware of the hot pipes, for the passenger's feet. You can get a chrome pipe guard that looks okay, and attaches to the pipe with screw-type hose clamps. It's a close match to the one you get on the FJR.

I know there are several choices on FJR footpeg lowering adapters, so shop around. You could raise the passenger a bit, using an added seat pad, rather than lowering their footpegs; a little extra distance between the feet and body can help a lot for passenger comfort. The passenger may like the better view also, rather than looking at the back of your helmet.

For any of that stuff, start with a Google search, and then click the IMAGES tab under the search line, to get a quick look at the options available. HTH.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 10-16-2020 at 10:40 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 11:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Sounds like a great opportunity for two bikes in the shed. Your FJR and one for the Mrs. comfort. You can do this.
maximrebel and mobilemike like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 01:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopheadama View Post
Sounds like a great opportunity for two bikes in the shed. Your FJR and one for the Mrs. comfort. You can do this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 05:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My wife hated the passenger lowering brackets. Loves the custom Laam seat and passenger floorboards.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page