Do you use any kind of Lock to prevent theft? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Cool Do you use any kind of Lock to prevent theft?

I am planning on driving to some new areas and spend the night in a motel/hotel. As l have had the pleasure of having my bike stolen before, I thought l would look at some preventative measures:

#1- https://securityforbikes.com/proddet...prod=RoundLock PRO- good for locking your front disc AND it can be used with a chain, no alarm, Made by Pragmasis (they even make a padlock that weighs 5 lbs and cost $375). CON- they can still pick it up and carry it off. $60 & on backorder.

#2-

PRO- disc lock w/siren and the Stolen Motorcycle Recovery in London use on theirs. CON- cannot be used with chain. $133 on amazon for orange ($172 any other color)

#3- https://biketrac.co.uk/hard-security/ PRO- disc lock that can be used alone or with chain at the same time and includes a bag of goodies. CON- no siren. $220

#4- https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motor...ns/beast_lock/
Pro- I do not think they can get thru it, looks REALLY cool. CON- $195 for the lock, chain is $185, WAY OVER THE TOP, weighs 35lbs, but this would be carried in the pickup.

So if any of you have used devices, don't think you need them, or have any other ideas- please share them.

P.S. where would you even run a chain through the frame on a FJR? And which wheel front or rear?
P.S.S. a lot of this came off of Bennetts Bike on Youtube in England. Apparently England has a plague of Motorcycle thefts.

Thank you. Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 08:35 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Do you use any kind of Lock to prevent theft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghost View Post
I am planning on driving to some new areas and spend the night in a motel/hotel. As l have had the pleasure of having my bike stolen before, I thought l would look at some preventative measures:
Thank you. Michael
Michael,

Sorry for your bike loss. Really, I believe that you can only slow down a theft, not prevent one. High-tech alarms are probably helpful, though. If I were to spend that much money on bike security, I would also have a GPS tracker installed that talks to my cell phone or a security service. It's a James Bond gadget to me, and they are expensive. A good one will report its' location for maybe a week or three, with the bike battery removed.

I have a common disk lock with a cable, no alarms. The cable is intended to remind you that the disk lock is installed, not really to secure the bike to a post, although that precaution can be done, too. I can lock the steering at the ignition, in case somebody defeats the disk lock. I'm not too concerned about theft of the bike, but the tank bag has no realistic protection, so I don't keep much in there. I also do not ride with the panniers, because a thief may break into them. I only add the panniers when I need some extra carrying space.

I do have a fabric tail bag, like a Boston bag, not a tail box, which does most cargo duties for me. A tail box probably looks like a treasure chest, to any thief. My tail bag is kept flattened with bungee cords, so it is obviously empty for most days. I can easily remove the tail bag and take it with me, if anything is in it. So far, so good, but I'm not in a high-crime location.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 08:52 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nope ! If someone wants it, itíll be gone. Might as well save my lock money for a new bike.
the Ferret and mikester like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 09:48 PM
FJR Top Gun

Nope, use the fork lock and that's it, but usually ask if I can park under front cover or by front door at motels. They usually say yes.
passx, Redfish, GLB511 and 1 others like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 11:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have the panniers and top box at all times, not the tank or tail bag, take them with me or lock them in the pannier.
I don't think anything will keep it from getting stolen except the bike's weight. Nobody wants an FJR anyway.....
Yes to what Ferret says too... and pick the neighbourhood for the hotel/motel.
the Ferret likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 11:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Nope, use the fork lock and that's it, but usually ask if I can park under front cover or by front door at motels. They usually say yes.
Like this, though I do add a disc lock with a built-in alarm. I run a piece of highly visible flagging tape from the lock to the throttle grip to remind me to remove the lock before riding away. I carry the saddlebags into the hotel like suitcases. Tank bag etcetera comes in too. I also put a cover over the bike.

Haynes

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"Mi ne volas piklon . . . "
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 08:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Michael, like the others I do carry everything in to my room and do try to park under the canopy near the entrance, most motels/hotels will work with you but some just wonít. Stay in a well lit area. Try to get a 1st floor room where you can park your bike just outside.

England indeed has a serious bike theft problem, I have a friend there and years ago he explained to me how bad it is, my friend has a device cemented into the floor to secure each bike that he sent me pictures of that for me seemed way over the top but he assured me that it was totally necessary...... a real argument for the second amendment here imho.

But as I stated earlier that if they really want it they (whoever they are) will get it.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 08:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

I will echo some of what @the Ferret and @RaYzerman said. Ray hit it on the head, nobody really wants to steal an FJR. There are things folks might steal from an FJR such as the GPS or a tank bag but the bike itself really has no value to a bike thief. There are many other bikes that are more valuable to steal.

A few years ago I was reading a discussion similar to this one on a Harley Davidson forum. Folks were worried about their bikes on the long trip to Sturgis. With no malice or ugliness, one of the guys said that he purchased a Yamaha bike cover with the Yamaha logo large and prominent on both sides. He covered his Harley with it each night.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks everyone. I had the same feeling that a FJR wasn't really a target, but l just didn't want to come out and say it. GREAT feedback!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 10:48 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
LOL, yeah, I put a sign on the seat:

"You toucha my bike, I breaka you face!"

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter

Greg

Old Corral

1977 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl
1978 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt
1976 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue
1980 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"
1980 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion
1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Family Member bikes
1982 Yamaha XJ650J - Whole Lotta Rosie
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 - "V"
2007 Honda CBR600RR - Holy S&!T
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - Tiny Spock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page