Do you use any kind of Lock to prevent theft? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:26 AM
Farkle Trainee

Maybe thieves don't target FJR's because they as well as any potential consumers of their stolen goods/Harleys aren't the sharpest tacks in the box.
skippy344! likes this.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Nope, use the fork lock and that's it, but usually ask if I can park under front cover or by front door at motels. They usually say yes.
Exactly! I suppose there are situations where I would have concern, but when I spend the night on the bike its always in decent hotels that tend to be in decent areas. I know that it can happen, but so can a lot of other things.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:59 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
Exactly! I suppose there are situations where I would have concern, but when I spend the night on the bike its always in decent hotels that tend to be in decent areas. I know that it can happen, but so can a lot of other things.
Yes, spend the extra $50 its worth the good nights sleep. Not only for bike security, but less chance of drunk morons slamming doors & banging around all night.
skippy344! likes this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 07:31 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I can't be bothered with anti theft devices. A pain to deal with all the time. A riding buddy cracked his fender by forgetting about the disk lock as he was attempting to move it in the driveway If they want the bike they will take it. Nothing will stop a determined thief. New vehicles with all their fancy stuff get stolen out of peoples driveways. A small lap top and less time than you would think and they drive off with it. If my bike gets stolen then there won't be much backlash from the Mrs. about getting me another one. It might even have a 6th gear and LED lights

David

2015 Black FJR A
2009 Silver Roadstar Silverado S
2009 Silver Grey C50 CSE
2005 Black Silver C50 SE
1982 Suzuki GS 750 T
1977 Suzuki GS 750
1976 Suzuki GT 550
1974 Honda XL 100
Lil Indian 2 1/4 hp Briggs & Statton
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 09:11 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I don't bother with a alarm or special lock. As mentioned, I try to in advance pick a nice motel in a nice area - maybe cost a little extra. Try to get a parking space and room where I can get a peak of bike during the night, as an old guy I'm usually up a few times during the night. Try to park close to lobby door where desk clerk can keep an eye on it for me. Then I go down later and tip the night desk clerk a little something - no guarantee, but a small price for a pair of watchful eyes.
passx likes this.

2016 FJR A
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 10:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

There's been a few instances where those disk locks have failed and left the owner sad faced trying to coral someone to cut it off. I would imagine that's not common...hopefully. There was some good advice posted here a while back about just getting a cover for the bike which serves more than one purpose. Obviously it will keep a russell seat from becoming a bird bath if it rains as well as masking what's underneath it when staying in sketchy accommodations. I'm also good with keeping $500 handy for the deductible if it manages to walk off.

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:26 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I only worry when someone says "Is that a BMW?". I have disk lock/siren I keep on the bike, but it's more trouble than it's worth with all the false alarms, so I actually never seem to use it.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 01:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

I built and installed a simple burglar alarm using a relay, 109db sono alert, tilt sensor and a hidden switch. If the bike is moved off the side stand, the sono alert is really loud. Cost me about $20 in parts and a couple of hours of futzing around.
Originally, I thought I might put a kit together and market it for around $50-60 but there are already wireless alarms with tilt sensors for around the same price.
skippy344! likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
I built and installed a simple burglar alarm using a relay, 109db sono alert, tilt sensor and a hidden switch. If the bike is moved off the side stand, the sono alert is really loud. Cost me about $20 in parts and a couple of hours of futzing around.
Originally, I thought I might put a kit together and market it for around $50-60 but there are already wireless alarms with tilt sensors for around the same price.
I've used Gorilla Alarms on my bikes for 10+ years. They're simple all-in-one designs with a tilt sensor, power sensor, a screaming 110db alarm, and a blinking LED to warn potential thieves that there are probably easier pickins elsewhere. When staying out overnight the bike gets covered.

Few false alarms (except when somebody rides to close with open pipes), the sound waves can set off the alarm. That said, it'll chirp when someone jostles the bike so to date it's never been molested. The Gorilla 7007 was under $80. Two wires direct to the battery, alarm under the seat, and LED on the side panel. Includes wireless remote to activate/deactivate. Simple and effective.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride might accomplish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page