2019 fjr1300es factory lemon - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2019 fjr1300es factory lemon

Both my riding buddy and I picked up a couple of 2019 FJR1300ES. We saved a couple of grand on them and I love that mat blue finish, over the 2020 color. I have owned many motorcycles of my 45 plus years of riding and racing. Back to it, less than 500 miles on this brand new FJ and it decides to lock up in second gear. F-me Man, I loaded the POS on my flatbed and took it to the dealer, where it sat for a week before I even heard back from them, I was told something, there not what went south in transmission and the cases would have to split. I honestly lost my ****, I was friggen pissed, 20k bike and it breaks, and now they need to split the cases, **** no, not that dealership. I loaded it up and dropped it off at my friend's dealership to get the work done, its been almost two months when the bike broke, won't have it back until the middle of November because the transmission parts needed for the fix is on backorder. Honestly kind of sic over the whole deal with Yamaha as well, also when you start the motor it sounds like ball bearings bouncing around in the bottom end. Rant over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 11:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Wow! That truly sucks. First I've heard of anything like this on a new FJR. I'm curious to know whether the new bike had any miles on it before you purchased it. Your description sounds like it could be a clutch basket that sheared off some tabs.
bounce likes this.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 11:27 PM
FJR Top Gun

That is what they have warranties for.

Sorry it happened to you but the shear numbers say it will happen sometimes.
bounce likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

It sure did and I asked the dealer about it. 65 miles seem high for letting people take it around the block now and again, I could be wrong though. My biuddies bike, the same year had 4.5 miles on it.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post

Sorry it happened to you but the shear numbers say it will happen sometimes.

Agree, I also bought the 5 year extended factory warranty as well. But honestly, Man, new bike breaks, sit at the dealer for 4 months, cases get split, now the bike has been torn into. Kind of looses in a big way that new rush of a new bike in the garage.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post

Sorry, it happened to you but the sheer numbers say it will happen sometimes.

Another thing that pisses me off is the dealer and corporate Yamaha could really give a **** about me on a personal level. I'm a business owner and that's not how you treat people that just spent 20k on your product. If I don't sell it once I get it back, I will post up a couple of cool mods I did to it before it broke, but at this time I just want it gone, don't know if I will ever trust it again. Honestly could be a lemon on the assembly line, I like life and you don't **** around on motorcycles.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 01:39 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

That truly sucks. I can emphasize. Talk about a sour taste in your mouth....

Though I really hope you didn't spend anywhere near 20k for that bike....

And I agree, Yamaha should be kissing your ass in all kinds of ways for having a brand new bike break, and then take a lifetime to fix it. What about lemon laws and just punting that POS back to Yamaha?

Purveyor of crooked facts
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

Give the process a chance. Believe me, nothing is getting fixed quick these days.
You have warranty and will still have warranty after it’s fixed. I know it sucks but it could be worse...

My son has a new F450 Limited. 5000 miles on it , tranny (truck)goes into limp mode. (New 10spd). Truck sits at dealer almost 3 months waiting on an internal transmission electrical part.
They give him a F150 to drive which is useless to use for why he needs F450..
Trucks back now and all is well so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well Phat, welcome to my world ! On the 4th clutch, head bearings at 7100mi, broken rear sub-frame, ABS switch’s & relay’s. Many moments of looking for something to replace my 14a with, my wife was really pushing to get rid of it but my dealer was pretty good in making things right (better than yamaha was) add-in that nothing else really appealed to me as much as my fjr.

Anyway, now a lot of miles later my fjr appears to be the reliable bike that the reputation advertises, thanks largely To a great dealer ! No thanks to mother yamaha who could really give a shite less about my problems, but I love my bike now, in spite of the warts.

So the morale here is give the dealer a chance, check on them regularly and once you get it back give it a chance. And if like me you’ve done any shopping around there’s not much to fill the same niche as a the fjr, as cheaply, and as well. Hang in there !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well that sucks... I have really not heard of second gear "jammed", whatever that means... could be a bent shifter fork, but all you can do is take it apart and investigate. Take pics, I'm interested in the cause. Very rare indeed. This is a six speed, unique over the 5 speed, they had to put ix gears in a space originally designed for 5.

The worst of the job really is all hours of labour of engine removal and replacement. Once you fix whatever it is, should be trouble free from then on.
Always ensure a positive shift 1-2 or 3-2, never force the shifter... if you find yourself doing that, ensure the clutch fluid is fresh (flush and bleed annually).

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page