2019 fjr1300es factory lemon - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 06:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nonetheless, next time, I’ll litigate without hesitation. In a number of states, motorcycles are legally “motor vehicles”, and are viewed/taxed/licensed as such. Sample state code protecting consumers with warranted vehicles “ "Motor vehicle" means only passenger cars, pickup or panel trucks, motorcycles, self-propelled motorized chassis of motor homes and mopeds as those terms are defined in ß 46.2-100 and demonstrators or leased vehicles with which a warranty was issued.” Thanks to the commonwealth of Virginia for the example.

The lemon law for Georgia outlines what vehicles
it covers as follows:
“ (15) "New motor vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle primarily designed for the transportation of persons or property over the public highways that was leased, purchased, or registered in this state by the consumer or lessor to whom the original motor vehicle title was issued without previously having been issued to any person other than a new motor vehicle dealer. The term "new motor vehicle" does not include any vehicle on which the title and other transfer documents show a used, rather than new, vehicle. If a new motor vehicle is a motor home, this article shall apply to the self-propelled vehicle and chassis, but does not include those portions of the vehicle designated, used, or maintained primarily as living quarters, office, or commercial space.”

To be fair, there is contradictory code exempting motorcycles. “ The term "new motor vehicle" also does not include trucks with more than 12,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating, motorcycles, or golf carts.” This isn’t an area where you can just lawyer up and the threat of litigation will make global corporations lay down. That said, convincing a court or arbitration board of unacceptable deprivation of use isn’t much of a stretch, if your new, warranted vehicle is down for months and the manufacturer doesn’t make you whole.

There is precedent for manufacturers to be compelled to replace or buy back everything from boats to motorcycles due to failure to perform. Obviously not a given..

In a year like 2020, where a manufacturer has a major act of god to point to to explain lack of parts availability for their new, warranted, failed vehicles, things would likely be harder to sell. Yamaha land
yacht tourer owners experiencing lifter issues, hang in there.
passx likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 10-12-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 02:18 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I respectfully disagree. Most people and companies consider motorcycles in an all-inclusive bunch titled "motorsport". That's recreational. The AAA does it with roadside protection- it's in the recreational tier with RVs. State Farm did it to me- dirt bike, street bike, cruiser, ATV- all the same thing. Recreational mfr's are under no obligation to make you happy. Overall it IS an appliance and a luxury, regardless of how the individual feels about it. My $.02. I'm not a lawyer, I'm just relating my experiences. YMMV.
In California Lemon Law applies to all consumer products including motorcycles. I personally settled in court with Kawasaki on a Lemon Law suite regarding a 2014 Concourse. But there must be 3 failed attempts to repair the same issue.
Bill Lumberg likes this.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralSharkCat View Post
In California Lemon Law applies to all consumer products including motorcycles. I personally settled in court with Kawasaki on a Lemon Law suite regarding a 2014 Concourse. But there must be 3 failed attempts to repair the same issue.
Indiana is the same. On my 14a I could’ve litigated it but the dealer imho was doing their best to make it right and it wasn’t just sitting in the back of the shop with no attempt to fix it. It was the one thing that kept me from litigating on it although I was on the fence because Bill Lumberg’s 14a was going through his TPS debacle at the same time as my clutch problems so I was concerned that I had bought a real lemon.

There was also a lot of clutch dragging problems here at that time so I was thinking the fjr was not a good product and quite frankly I was a complete “dick” at the dealer several times, but they were always courteous to me and I feel worked hard to make it right along with many of you here telling me that it was a bullet proof bike.

I think Donk’s comments about having the dealership be diligent with Yamaha to make things right is absolutely true, When my subframe broke Yamaha was less than caring about my problem but the dealership (Northend Cycle in Elkhart) convinced them that it was something they should fix. Not sure I would EVER buy another Yamaha because of their lack of caring or willingness to fix the problems but the dealership has convinced me that they are worthy of my business.

On another note I got to ride my fjr this Tuesday in spite of my back issues for only about 100mi and fellin love again, it is a wonderful bike even if it is too top heavy. I prolly haven’t put more than 300-400mi on it this year but hoping to get back to riding it regularly again, going to see the neurosurgeon today for options per the mri results. I just wanna ride my motor sickle !

Wonder what’s going on with OP ? He hasn’t posted for a while now.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-15-2020 at 07:54 AM.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 06:34 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'm the second owner of my 2017 FJR (bought it with 26,000km on it) and when I rang the dealer that serviced it from new to validate the service history, I was told it had some warranty work done at 12,000km but I can't recall now if it was on the clutch or the gearbox - one of the two. I've had no issues during my ownership but I guess it suggests that whilst generally reliable, FJRs aren't totally immune to mechanical issues. Shouldn't take 4 months to fix a new bike, though - it's not like the parts aren't being manufactured anymore.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:57 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

This thread is a good lesson on how important it is to purchase your bike from a Pro Yamaha dealer. These dealers meet higher standards and have greater discretion in warranty matters.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/mo...ro-yamaha-home

If the dealer goes to bat for you, your problem will be covered in nearly every case. That said, there are delays in getting parts from subcontractors and suppliers that are affecting OEM production and spare parts due to COVID. Be firm but don't threaten or be confrontational.

Norm Kern
Dayton, OH
2016 FJR 1300 ES, 2000 Suz DRZ 400e
MSTA FlyBy Week event coordinator
Motorcycle Sport Touring Association VP
Iron Butt Association member
Dayton M/C Ohio Life Member
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 08:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Norm, let me add this. Generally I agree with your “don’t threaten or be confrontational” but it is my money and a good amount of it, if they (the dealer) are dragging their feet, not really making an effort to fix my bike or the one that really sets me off, lying to me then it flat out is going to get ugly fast.

I really didn’t care for my dealer and truly didn’t trust them (hey they’re a dealer) but they really impressed me through all my problems, for sure they weren’t perfect but they did what they were supposed to do, And quite frankly mother Yamaha wasn’t supportive and frankly couldn’t care about their customers problem instead focusing on excuses to avoid a claim, they took no responsibility which is why I said I’m not sure I’d ever give them another dime of my hard earned money but the dealer did ok.

Don’t know about you but I had to work to hard for a lot of years to earn that cost of my fjr and trying to cheat me out of it will cause me to turn into a real a-hole quickly. Treat me with respect and don’t lie to me and I’ll be easy to get along with. My .02
Donk and justacrossthehill like this.

Steve P
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-16-2020 at 08:38 AM.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 01:44 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Norm, let me add this. Generally I agree with your ďdonít threaten or be confrontationalĒ but it is my money and a good amount of it, if they (the dealer) are dragging their feet, not really making an effort to fix my bike or the one that really sets me off, lying to me then it flat out is going to get ugly fast.

I really didnít care for my dealer and truly didnít trust them (hey theyíre a dealer) but they really impressed me through all my problems, for sure they werenít perfect but they did what they were supposed to do, And quite frankly mother Yamaha wasnít supportive and frankly couldnít care about their customers problem instead focusing on excuses to avoid a claim, they took no responsibility which is why I said Iím not sure Iíd ever give them another dime of my hard earned money but the dealer did ok.

Donít know about you but I had to work to hard for a lot of years to earn that cost of my fjr and trying to cheat me out of it will cause me to turn into a real a-hole quickly. Treat me with respect and donít lie to me and Iíll be easy to get along with. My .02

Agree with you 100% but realize most manufacturers aren't any better. Sometimes yelling and screaming does help but usually big corporations wont budge till the legal papers are at their lawyers office.

The best option (In my experience) know your legal rights & document everything but also realize any legal action will drag out for at least 1 full year.
bounce and passx like this.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 10:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralSharkCat View Post
Agree with you 100% but realize most manufacturers aren't any better. Sometimes yelling and screaming does help but usually big corporations wont budge till the legal papers are at their lawyers office.
I have to say my experience with Yamaha on another bike, not an FJR were pretty frustrating while my experience with KTM has been extremely positive. I had an FZ1 with a clutch that wouldnít disengage, would drag you around the parking lot from day 1 and getting either the dealer or Yamaha to do anything was impossible. Clutches are wear items is what I heard over and over. On the other hand with my KTM, both the dealer and corporate bent over backwards to sort an issue I was having. Cannot tell you how impressed I was and I already know who I will be buying my next new bike from. So thatís 1 manufacture thatís certainly done better.
passx likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 08:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Donk, that is truly refreshing to hear ! When I was looking around when my fjr was new and having all the clutch problems I looked hard at the KTM’s as they have a lot to offer, but the big problem I had was that due to my short-azz legs everything they offered was impossible for me to flat foot. That was a deal breaker for me.

I’ll also add that the lack of care for their customers is not a Yamaha exclusive, I also have a 1976 Wing that I bought new, it was as bad or truly worse than the fjr and as it turned out when the dealer prepped it they didn’t clean the cosmolene out of the carbs that Honda used so the slides wouldn’t corrode on the boat over or in storage, it ran terrible to say the least and my complaints fell on deaf ears with the dealer and Honda. Luckily I had a friend that I worked with that was a Honda trained & certified technician that had a 77 wing that ran perfectly. He couldn’t believe how bad mine was.

So a 12 pack of Coors and a couple of hours pulling, cleaning & balancing the carbs with a couple “WTF” moments thrown in it actually ran better, not great but better. An interesting thing was that the stator failed about 2 miles from the dealer when I picked it up and the dealer was reluctant to fix that, but this is where the “dick” function intervenes !

Now all that said my Wing never ran well up until about 4-5yrs ago, it was always a thrashing machine, never smooth, and about 4-5yrs ago while using a degree wheel to set up the Dyna electronic ignition I realized that the crankshaft timing marks weren’t right with the F2 3-4 cylinder set retarded 6 degrees to the F1 1-2 set. I remarked the 3-4 set and all of a sudden my 40yr old Wing runs like a watch, just butter smooth & responsive.

So what does a 44yr old bad running wing have to do with fjr’s ? Well that poor treatment by the dealer & Honda made me really not want to give them any more of my money when I was looking and bought my fjr, I did look at the st1300 but it hadn’t been updated at all since it was introduced and then the memories of my Wing just kept saying look elsewhere. Quite frankly if Kawasaki had updated the C14 at all and added a cruise I probably wouldn’t be here, although I believe the fjr is a better fit for me, but Kawasaki has better dealers in my area, although my fjr dealership has proven themselves very well through all my troubles, very happy with them.

Steve P
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-17-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page