2019 fjr1300es factory lemon - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatdad View Post
Another thing that pisses me off is the dealer and corporate Yamaha could really give a **** about me on a personal level. I'm a business owner and that's not how you treat people that just spent 20k on your product. If I don't sell it once I get it back, I will post up a couple of cool mods I did to it before it broke, but at this time I just want it gone, don't know if I will ever trust it again. Honestly could be a lemon on the assembly line, I like life and you don't **** around on motorcycles.
Instead of wasting your time and riding season they Yamaha should just replace the motorcycle with a brand new one ! Dealers usually will never replace the motorcycle they loose money !

Also, I would never buy a motorcycle brand new if it has more than 15 to 20 miles which makes sense in transporting and stuff. Maybe, someone at the dealership or some person who test rode it messed up the motorcycle maybe rode it really bad...whealie or gear rev shifting who knows !
bounce and AzorRon like this.

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 02:54 PM
Training wheels fitted!

"I will post up a couple of cool mods I did to it before it broke".......

Hmmm. And just "what" were those cool mods?

Never, ever, heard of anything like this before. Not saying it didn't happen but not by any means typical.

Please let us know what your shop finds when they rip its guts out. Sorry to hear of your issue, but definitely not the norm for this model. Hope you get sorted out soon.
bounce likes this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

I sympathize with you - that would piss me off pretty badly too. But having owned a 2006 bought new, and now a 2017 and being a daily reader of the forum, I can assure you that overall it is one of the most reliable bikes made. That may not make you feel better about yours, but it would not deter me from buying another one. It's a very rare occurrence to say the least.

Good luck getting yours fixed.
Little Joe and passx like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 05:16 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I’ve typed it all before. They’re, on average, among the most reliable bikes made. That said, my 2014 had a part failure, and was off the road for months. Took Yamaha months to get the part. I didn’t pay a dime for the repair, but I lost months of use of my new bike, and Yamaha absolutely wasn’t going to provide loaner/rental consideration. (Yamaha Kennesaw was incompetent and unprofessional, but even the professional and transparent California office could care less if the owner had $10K or $20K in a new vehicle that was offline for months. .. they were a hard no on temp replacement). I was super pissed. But that was the last significant problem. I ended up riding the **** out of that one (after warranty repair) and traded it on a matte blue 2018ES. 50,000 plus on it with no issues.

If I face an extended outage on a purchased-new under-warranty bike again, I’ll litigate. A new car manufacturer wouldn’t get away with that on a vehicle under warranty. Yamaha treating a failed motorcycle like it’s a lawnmower or another appliance instead of a vehicle doesn’t play well, and won’t play well in court.
bounce and passx like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 10-09-2020 at 05:40 PM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 06:12 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I agree with Kukablack: Yamaha "should" just replace the bike with a new one (but they won't). And it shouldn't be on the dealer's shoulders; Yamaha should do it. A major failure like that so early in the life of the bike is something they should want to study, not just throw new parts in.
bounce likes this.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 10:06 PM
Training wheels fitted!

OP doesn’t say where he’s located. In some US states the car lemonlaw applies to motorcycles too. And even if it doesn’t there is the possibility of relief under the federal Magnusson-Moss warranty act. I’d reach out to an attorney that specializes in lemon cases for a consultation. With 60+ days in the shop and no loaner, you have a slam dunk case.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

I think the key is to have a dealer that will go to bat with Yamaha for you. Secondly communicate by email so you have a record of what was said when. It’s a painful experience and the process is no fun but remember the goal, getting your bike back better than new. I had to have a main wiring harness replaced on a KTM and normally I would chop/sell a bike the minute I got it back from having something like that done. Decided to hang in there and the bike has been flawless.
bounce and passx like this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 09:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy23 View Post
"I will post up a couple of cool mods I did to it before it broke".......

Hmmm. And just "what" were those cool mods?

Never, ever, heard of anything like this before. Not saying it didn't happen but not by any means typical.

Please let us know what your shop finds when they rip its guts out. Sorry to hear of your issue, but definitely not the norm for this model. Hope you get sorted out soon.
I'm glad I'm not the first one who went there.

Quote:
It sure did and I asked the dealer about it. 65 miles seem high for letting people take it around the block now and again, I could be wrong though. My buddies bike, the same year had 4.5 miles on it.
Sure might be hard to prove until they crack into it and find the damage. From there, if abused, I would demand a replacement. Beyond that, how many miles on it when it broke? What mods?

Quote:
Secondly communicate by email so you have a record of what was said when.

For legal records, the only "sure thing" is certified mail; return receipt. Email isn't a guaranteed delivery tech and people can claim they never got it (truthfully or not).
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Last edited by bounce; 10-10-2020 at 09:46 AM.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Training wheels fitted!

"Hmmm. And just "what" were those cool mods?"
.....the sound of crickets. And a tumbleweed rolling past in the background...
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 05:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Yamaha treating a failed motorcycle like it’s a lawnmower or another appliance instead of a vehicle doesn’t play well, and won’t play well in court.
I respectfully disagree. Most people and companies consider motorcycles in an all-inclusive bunch titled "motorsport". That's recreational. The AAA does it with roadside protection- it's in the recreational tier with RVs. State Farm did it to me- dirt bike, street bike, cruiser, ATV- all the same thing.

Recreational mfr's are under no obligation to make you happy. Overall it IS an appliance and a luxury, regardless of how the individual feels about it.

My $.02. I'm not a lawyer, I'm just relating my experiences. YMMV.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page