• 2 Post By RaYzerman
  • 2 Post By dravnx
  • 1 Post By mobilemike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Upgrading Fork Springs

Good evening everyone. I will be taking my beloved to the shop for many new parts and upgrades, and I call upon the great and wise for some advice. On fixing my forks I want to upgrade the fork springs and asking what is best and why? Racetech or Traxxion or another brand, but why. I will be ordering according to my weight, 290lbs.... I will be installing a 2016 rear shock outback for the time being to see how I like that upgrade. I've been out of the loop on suspension parts for to long, and I don't want to be snookered by the shop.

Thanks for any all help as always

David

2005 FJR1300 non abs
Corbin Smuggler
Murph's peg lowering kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 09:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

I would call Traxxion & RaceTech to see what they recommend. I've used Traxxion for several Yamaha bikes & will be using their springs next season on my '19A.

2019 FJR A
2010 FZ1
1983 Honda Z50
1975 Honda CB400F
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 11:45 AM
FJR Top Gun

Either one is fine. They do not make the springs. They source them from a manufacturer so they might be identical. Race tech, Traxxon, GP, Penske, whatever. You most likely need a 1.1. Do not get a progressive spring. They are junk. The softer section is too soft and will just compress to the heavier weight. So the progressive section is useless.

You are wasting your money with a 2016 rear shock unless you get it free. I may be slightly better than the '05 especially an worn out one but a 290lbs it will be woefully under sprung for you. Save you $$$$ on the '16 shock and get a aftermarket MADE for your weight.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 05:09 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The Traxxion kit is the easiest, it comes with all you need and the spacers are precut... basically a plug and play deal. Most likely they will give you a 1.1 spring rate, and you can always add preload if you need to.

It is a bit less expensive, and I think for an extra $20 you can get the plastic spring guides which are a nice touch.
Other kits require you to calculate the spacer length and cut the spacers, and if they supply plastic spring guides, they cost like $50 extra.
2GENAE and mattemike like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 05:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Either one is fine. They do not make the springs. They source them from a manufacturer so they might be identical. Race tech, Traxxon, GP, Penske, whatever. You most likely need a 1.1. Do not get a progressive spring. They are junk. The softer section is too soft and will just compress to the heavier weight. So the progressive section is useless.

You are wasting your money with a 2016 rear shock unless you get it free. I may be slightly better than the '05 especially an worn out one but a 290lbs it will be woefully under sprung for you. Save you $$$$ on the '16 shock and get a aftermarket MADE for your weight.
You can change the spring. More then likely the old shock is blown. Depending on your riding ability and your sensitivity to suspension, the newer shock paired with the correct spring will do wonders.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 07:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

There are lots of good components out there. Traxxion is a good suspension shop but pricey. I used GP springs and valves when I redid my forks and they came out great. Most anything you do will be a big improvement over stock.

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 12:59 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
You can change the spring. More then likely the old shock is blown. Depending on your riding ability and your sensitivity to suspension, the newer shock paired with the correct spring will do wonders.
"Unless you get it free"

So he buys a 3rd gen shock for what $200?

Then a spring for $120?

Then pays a shop to change the spring $60.

So he has $400 into crappy shock with minimal adjustment. Which will work fine for some riders.

Or double that to $800 for a high quality highly adjustable custom built for his size and riding style.

The FJR is not a beginner bike. Its not a bike bought by kids with finance problems.

We spend thousands of dollars on gear. Several sets for different seasons.

We spend thousands of dollars upgrading lights, seats, windshields, foot pegs, crash bars, luggage, coms, navigation, exhaust, tuning,

Yet we penny pinch when it comes to the single most important aspect of the bike. Suspension.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 01:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Like I said, it depends on the rider and what they demand of their suspension. If the rider logs 5000/year that $400 will last 4-5 years or even more if ridden gently. If that rider is a flatlander, has never upgraded their suspension and thinks it's adequate, then $400 makes sense. I agree with you that the suspension on the FJR, like most Jap bikes, is inadequate but everyone has different expectations and it's easy to spend someone else's money.
mobilemike and 2GENAE like this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 01:11 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Like I said, it depends on the rider and what they demand of their suspension. If the rider logs 5000/year that $400 will last 4-5 years or even more if ridden gently. If that rider is a flatlander, has never upgraded their suspension and thinks it's adequate, then $400 makes sense. I agree with you that the suspension on the FJR, like most Jap bikes, is inadequate but everyone has different expectations and it's easy to spend someone else's money.
I agree.

I put more emphases on suspension priority over other items on the bike.
sparkie likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR

Last edited by mobilemike; 10-04-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page