FJR compared to ....... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

FJR compared to .......

I've been looking for current comparisons of the FJR vs. other sport touring bikes, namely the Concours. Virtually every review I've seen focuses on power. I can't find any that compare the ergos, wind protection, etc. No one ever mentions the Concours has a 3 year warranty vs. the FJR one year. No one mentions the pretty significant price difference on the new models. They mention the valve check intervals, the difficulty in checking/adjusting the valves on the Concours and the extra weight and it being top heavy. No one talks about the riding experience vis a vis wind protection. Wondering if anyone has opinions on wind protection between these 2 bikes. I'm in the marker for one or the other and I need some input on rider comfort. I already know about all the other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

If you are talking new(er) bikes, heres my take for what its worth. (I am 58 and 180 for reference)
When I replaced my C10 Concours , my intent was to do that with a C14. In 2014 I did a Kawasaki ride day and came away disappointed with the C14.
I did not like the very snatchy throttle and just found the fit wrong. Didnt like seeing mostly saddle bags in rear view.
Handling was okay and plenty of power. I wanted to like it...
Fast forward from then till now...The snatchy throttle and fueling can be corrected by a shoodaben engineering flash. (Truly a night and day improvement)

My riding buddy has had 3 C14,s. 09,12,18.
I have ridden a 12 a fair bit before during and after flash RandD.

The C14 is slightly cooler in the heat, than Gen 3 FJR. In stock form they are very close in performance. With C14 flash it will really out power the FJR.
If you are a taller heavier guy you may like the C14. I much prefer the fit of FJR.
IMO the C14 requires more lean angle than the same corner on FJR.
I have ridden many thousands of KM with ahead, and behind C14.
I can get very close to double the tire life on same brands of tires as my bud on same roads and same conditions.
Unless you run 80+mph and are into triple digits often, the C14 power advantage is a moot point.
Fairing wind and weather protection is slightly better on C14 but definitely not a deal breaker to FJR.
If you do your own valve adj or infact pay for them, the FJR although no cakewalk is MUCH less PITA than FJR.
FJR has cruise ( priceless)
C14 has slightly bigger bags for storage.
C14 asks for premium fuel. FJR Reg.

FJR has a wider frame at seat which after 120Kkm is starting to present an issue for this grey haired guy.
C14 is narrower which helps with reach to ground (and is reason for bastage of a valve adj. ) To remove cams and change shims is a 10hr+ job on C14. About 5 or so on FJR.
The C14 is about 75lbs heavier and you can feel it.
Fuel mileage is better on FJR unless 14 is flashed. Then they are pretty much dead even, until 80+ cruising where C14 is a bit better.
Headlights better on FJR.

IF I had known how much flash improved 14, I may very well have bought one and never ridden FJR.

Before I had ridden 10 min on FJR test ride(after first riding C14), I knew that , for me, the FJR was the one.

Hope this rambling gives you somethings to think about, and of course is IMHO opinion.

In the end, both bikes are rock solid at any speed, and both mechanically Bullitt proof in general. It comes down to which one fits you best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 05:41 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Great review!

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think Little Joe's review is a fair assessment from all I hear. For me, I sat on a few C14's and just couldn't make it work for me in the seating department, just didn't "fit". They'd sell a few more if they had cruise. I have a buddy that had one and he couldn't keep back tires on it, lol. And yes, I would hate that valve check and to pay for one. The Super Tenere is up there in the PITA department too.
You can also compare the FJR to an ST1300, and basically, they all have their personalities. Yamaha is staying competitive in the sport touring game with the FJR, for how long we don't know, but it's a good choice. One can go R1250RT which reputedly is the best sport touring bike for comfort, if you can get into the boxer engine and the total cost of ownership.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For me, initially I looked at the C14, St1300, the Triumph Trophy and the BMWs both boxer & in-line 4. Little Joes review is pretty much spot-on.

For me I like the local Kawasaki/Honda dealer much better than the Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer I had bought my FJR from. I went back multiple times on the C14 & BMWs because of all the issues I initially had with my FJR and quite frankly it always came down to the lack of cruise on the C14 and the lack of dealers for the BMW. If the C14 had a cruise there would probably be one in my garage, but for me the c14 feels much bigger/heavier than the fjr.

On the Trophy, my buddie is a triumph consumer technical rep and pushed it hard, the triumph uses a lot of the exact same components and is built very similarly to the fjr but is physically a much larger/heavier much more expensive. And while that triple makes a wonderful sounds it is truly lacking in power. Dealers are non existent. But they are really nice bikes that are no longer produced with a questionable quality rep.

ST1300, no longer produced and like the C14 Honda never updated it and it never had a cruise control, a deal breaker for me.

The BMWs suffer from being expensive with no dealers and some reliability issues.

I enjoy my FJR.
AutobahnTom likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny42 View Post
I've been looking for current comparisons of the FJR vs. other sport touring bikes, namely the Concours. Virtually every review I've seen focuses on power. I can't find any that compare the ergos, wind protection, etc. No one ever mentions the Concours has a 3 year warranty vs. the FJR one year. No one mentions the pretty significant price difference on the new models. They mention the valve check intervals, the difficulty in checking/adjusting the valves on the Concours and the extra weight and it being top heavy. No one talks about the riding experience vis a vis wind protection. Wondering if anyone has opinions on wind protection between these 2 bikes. I'm in the marker for one or the other and I need some input on rider comfort. I already know about all the other stuff.
Always Yamaha over Kawasaki...always. But thats just me. I'm one of those only Honda and Yamaha snobs.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Passx beat me to it. The C14 has pretty much been left to languish by Kaw; not unlike the C10. Meanwhile Yammy has been updating the FJR on a regular basis since it hit the US shores back in 2002.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:45 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
Always Yamaha over Kawasaki...always. But thats just me. I'm one of those only Honda and Yamaha snobs.
As am I! But I am talking about Honda cages! LOL

Truth to tell, I was never a Kawasloppy fan, until I, on an impulse, bought a 1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII...

I was so impressed with that machine! It was a GoldWing, but at half the price!! And man could it run!!

Maintenance was a breeze, and everything came apart and went back together perfectly and easily!

Rode it all over Texas, and took it up to Branson, Missouri once! At 90MPH, it glided up I40 like it was on air!

Here I am with "Kermit"

I got nothing but respect for that machine!!
bounce, cra-z1 and AtlRiderrr like this.

'06 FJR1300A Orion the Hunter

Greg
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Being short of inseam, seat height is an issue. Even in the low seat position, I'll likely need a lowering kit. The wider seat (where your legs go when you stand) is a concern. I recently removed ALL the foam from the sides of the seat in that area on my current bike which got me maybe 1/2" lower to the ground when standing. Maybe I can do that on the FJR if I get it.

Thanks Little Joe for filling in some of the blanks!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Well, I guess this is all a moot point for me. I sat on a 2015 FJR at a dealer today. It already had a lowering kit on it. Even still, I was up on my tip toes. The second factor was because of the lowering kit, an aftermarket side stand was needed. As the bike sat, I could barely muscle it up off the side stand as it leaned over way too much. The bike had just over 800 miles on it. The original owner was short like me. Even with it lowered, he was not comfortable and traded it in for something else.

I appreciate all the responses. Though. When the FJR comes in a lower seat height, I'll jump on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page