Faring/windshield protection - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Faring/windshield protection

Hey, I'm new, my first post. I've got 2 questions and will post them separately.

How much protection does the faring and windshield provide on the FJR? I assume it's not as much as a Goldwing. I'm short and will likely be leaning forward more than taller folks. So, after multi-hours on the super-slab, how fatigued are you? Does your body take a lot of abuse or is there enough protection so you're relatively fresh? I know you can get a higher windscreen, bar risers and lowered pegs to modify the ergos, but I'm wondering if it's tiring after a long stint in the saddle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 03:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Prepare for the slaughter. You said "super-slab". You may have well slapped many members' mothers .

IMHO any bike with nothing more than a wind shield and lowers is better than any without. But you already know that, right?
hANNAbONE likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 05:33 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Protection is surprisingly good for me, 6'1" and using the touring windshield all the way down on my 2018. The air stream seams to hit the middle of my helmet in this position. When it's all the way up I could probably smoke a carton doing a buck twenty.

When the OEM windshield is all the way down the air stream hits me at shoulder level and helmet. Cranking it up give similar protection to the touring windshield in low position. When riding temperatures are below 20oC I prefer the touring windshield...just put it back on.

The bike cuts through the air really nicely and I don't get the same buffeting behind and by passing trucks as I get on my other bike. The front end is like a bug magnet so the fairing is doing its job.

My fatigue point and limiting factors is my knees, not the wind.
skippy344! likes this.

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue

Last edited by mikester; 09-17-2020 at 05:37 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 05:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

That’s a subjective question. It provides far less wind/weather protection than a BMW RT or a Wing. Far more wind protection than some other bikes. The stock windscreen is a joke, to me.

A Yamaha touring windscreen makes the bike quite comfortable for 1,600+ miles in 24 hours (DAMHIK). It’s fine for distance once the helibridge is on and a touring windscreen is installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny42 View Post
Hey, I'm new, my first post. I've got 2 questions and will post them separately.

How much protection does the faring and windshield provide on the FJR? I assume it's not as much as a Goldwing. I'm short and will likely be leaning forward more than taller folks. So, after multi-hours on the super-slab, how fatigued are you? Does your body take a lot of abuse or is there enough protection so you're relatively fresh? I know you can get a higher windscreen, bar risers and lowered pegs to modify the ergos, but I'm wondering if it's tiring after a long stint in the saddle?
hANNAbONE likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 07:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

I don't know about the stock windshield because mine came with the Yamaha Touring windshield installed. It was . . . ok. I found it worked best all the way down or all the way up. Anything in between generated too much buffeting. Earlier this summer I acquired a California Scientific windshield (size L) and found it to work heads and tails above the Yamaha Touring windshield. It's so quiet I reinstalled speakers in my helmet and don't need to ride with ear plugs or earbuds anymore. It's really that good. The Yamaha Touring windshield looks better / sportier on the bike but the Cal Sci functions sooo much better.

Zwartie
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

A friend bought a used CB1100 a year or so ago with small aftermarket windshield. Recently on a lark decided to try without, and found he liked it much better. I have similar issue with FJR in that I find the best position for wind is standing up. The least pounding turbulence. The lowest noise.

Sitting, windshield all the way down, has less low frequency turbulence but my helmet is in high speed airflow bending around the windshield.

Sitting, touring windshield all the way up, results in annoying low frequency turbulence and a noticeable vacuum.

Fortunately we have an electrically adjustable windshield that can be tweaked on the run. I set it somewhere in the middle.
hANNAbONE likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Great answers. In colder weather, does the faring block much wind on the lower legs? In a light rain for a short time, would all the plastic keep you dry?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 11:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I donít find the fairings to provide as much rain or cold protection as Iíd like. With the panels in the out position, thereís an extra half inch of protection on both sides. Unless your hips/legs are tiny, youíll need gear to keep you dry. The fairing alone wonít do it.

For comparison, on my RT, as long as I kept moving,
I was fairly dry.
passx likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 11:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
OK Zwartie, loving the avatar!!!

Long-time"Rush-ian" here! (Well, I am Ukrainian, but you get the point! LOL)

'06 FJR1300A Orion the Hunter

Greg

Last edited by skippy344!; 09-17-2020 at 12:17 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 02:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I like the avatar also as am an old time fan myself. Wish I could have seen them more but did take in 13 shows over the years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page