Cannot find a compression rod anywhere? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Thanks, I will stop by there to take a picture and see if they can order another years internals as Neal suggested. I don't have any reason to not trust this shop. I did purchase the bike there a few years ago, and had tires put on, and they were always good to me, at least it seemed like. I may have the terminology wrong on what they told me, as it has been awhile since they have had my forks. I think they are tired of having them sit in the service managers office too, and would rather just get them repaired and get paid. I will error on the side of caution and double check what they said was wrong and snap a picture. Hopefully that will help.

Unfortunately the shop isn't in my same town, but it isn't too far. Just gotta find time to leave a busy job and get down there.

Thanks
RaYzerman and maximrebel like this.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300 Burgundy with 16K on the clock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I let them know of Neals suggestion, and they were appreciative of the idea, and the parts guy and the manager were going to send that along with the schematics to their Yamaha contact who had been helping them with my situation. I have not heard back yet, but will post if I get a resolution. Thanks Neal.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 08:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Re-reading Neal's post.... note, the Gen3 has a cartridge only on the right side which handles all the damping for both sides. The left side has no cartridge. I strongly suspect the valving is different from Gen2.
The 2016A cartridge on the other hand will work. Same idea, only a cartridge on the right side. It does have a different part number..... there was a slightly different design in that the lower valve is now pressed and crimped in, whereas 2013-2015 was threaded in. Basically, a less costly way of making it.
IF you do end up with a 2016+ cartridge, make note there is a specific measurement on how you reassemble the fork cap, and that must be set properly unlike previous models.

We still don't know what they think you have to replace, yet we're all talking cartridge. I still can't imagine how a cartridge would have been 'chipped'..... if you can get more specifics, that would be helpful.
justacrossthehill likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 03:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Re-reading Neal's post.... note, the Gen3 has a cartridge only on the right side which handles all the damping for both sides. The left side has no cartridge. I strongly suspect the valving is different from Gen2.
The 2016A cartridge on the other hand will work. Same idea, only a cartridge on the right side. It does have a different part number..... there was a slightly different design in that the lower valve is now pressed and crimped in, whereas 2013-2015 was threaded in. Basically, a less costly way of making it.
IF you do end up with a 2016+ cartridge, make note there is a specific measurement on how you reassemble the fork cap, and that must be set properly unlike previous models.
Ray,

I noted that too. But, the slides and the bolt for the cartridge attachment on bottom for the 2016A have different part numbers than the 2014A, the 2012A part numbers for slides and bolt all match the 2014A part numbers, with exception of cartridge parts and fork cap. I was going for most likely bolt in fix comparing like parts, as I have never had any of those forks apart and only had part numbers to compare.

You have the better experience on what would fit.
RaYzerman and N4HHE like this.

'14 FJR1300ES
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
So apparently it looks like I could still get 2016 forks, which while not cheap, will get me back running again, finally.

Sounds like the service rep couldn't guarantee that 2016 parts would really work well in my 2014 forks. Hopefully I can bite the bullet and get my bike back on the road again.

I will report back when I get this issue finalized.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 07:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Keep the old part, then post up pics.... I'm still curious what exactly you're replacing and why so we can prevent the issue.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Keep the old part, then post up pics.... I'm still curious what exactly you're replacing and why so we can prevent the issue.
Yes, I certainly will.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page