Cannot find a compression rod anywhere? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Doing a little searching on partshark, it seems the internals for the "A" suspension was changed on the "Gen 3" 2013-2015. Then forks changed again on the "Gen 4" 2016A. The cartridge assembly, the part that provides the dampening (1MC-2315L-00-00) is not available for the 2013A-2015A, but the 3P6-23170-00-00 is available for the 2012A.

When doing a comparison, the outer tube, inner tube, spring, spacer, seals etc. are all the same part numbers on the 2012A and the 2013A-2015A. So it looks like you can purchase the cartridge, rod and cap for a 2012A and bolt it into a 2013A-2015A fork.

You would need these part numbers: 5JW-23111-01-00 BOLT, CAP 5JW-2318Y-00-00 PLUNGER 3P6-23170-00-00 CYLINDER COMP, FRONT FORK

Do your own homework to verify above.

I would also question the dealer as to how the parts they are expecting you to pay for were damaged in the first place. Forks with a lot of miles can get "burnished" spots on the tubes when the bushings get worn, but a "chip" on a rod that is bathed in oil? Sounds more like a improper dis-assembly to me.

Not sure about Colorado, but in NC they are required by law to show you parts that need replacement. My guess is the "chipped" area is shaped similar to vice-grip teeth. Or, has bits of concrete dust from the shop floor imbedded in it.
Thanks Neal, This information is appreciated and the closest I have to an answer to my dilemma. Truth be told, I took the forks off, and had the seal set on the left side pretty well I think. I took apart the right side but couldnt get the seal set well, so I decided to bring it in to have it done right. I could have screwed something up. I thought I was fairly careful, but cannot really blame the dealer as I am not 100% sure. Still cannot believe that forks cannot be purchased for a 2014? I think the Right side is the only issue they are having. I will definitely get the parts back when I pick them up, after this is hopefully fixed. Not sure what a plan B is at this point.

I will send the dealer the parts #'s and see if they can get it to work.

Thanks again.

Kevin

2014 Yamaha FJR1300 Burgundy with 16K on the clock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 09:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Seems everybody's jumping to the conclusion a new cartridge is needed. I'm concerned you're going to spend big money on a part you may not need. A pic of the "chip" and the part it's on would be helpful. OR what is the part number the dealer is saying to replace..... surely they have the ability to look that up also and tell you the price.
I also don't know how you'd damage a cartridge if you removed it prior to trying to pull your forks apart....... I've done many, I'm not understanding........ "compression rod" is not a normal terminology for any part in the forks, it's nowhere in the parts catalog. The dealer should be able to tell you the actual parts catalog part name.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 09:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

Agreed with Ray. Call the dealer and have them stop work and get you pics of said "damaged" part. You know there has to be at least a dozen cell phones with cameras walking around the place.
Better yet, just roll down there yourself and take a look see at what they are claiming.
justacrossthehill likes this.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 09:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I’d just about Bet that if you go to the dealer and collect your parts, you could send them to Ray for rebuild for a slight trust worthy fee. No monkey bull-shite just forks that work,,,, Just a suggestion.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 11:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Seems everybody's jumping to the conclusion a new cartridge is needed. I'm concerned you're going to spend big money on a part you may not need.
The O.P. is the one who said he was open to the purchase of an entire new fork.

I agree the verbal description makes no sense. How does one damage a “compression” rod? What kind of damage actually matters?

Push come to shove there should be take-off original equipment cartridge assemblies from those who have installed Traxxion or Andreani kits. Heck, even consider one of those cartridge kits.
passx and justacrossthehill like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 11:35 AM
FJR Top Gun

Go in and tell the dealer you may have found one thru a forum but want to verify it's the correct part and snap a pic of it with your phone.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 05:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Go in and tell the dealer you may have found one thru a forum but want to verify it's the correct part and snap a pic of it with your phone.
You shouldn't have to make up an excuse to drop by and see the part, or get a pic sent to you for that matter. Now if they are hiding something it'll be a problem, but if someone is going to claim it's bad, you should have no problem asking for evidence.

That said, if you have to make up an excuse, use Ferret's, that's a good one. :P
passx, N4HHE, the Ferret and 1 others like this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 06:07 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximrebel View Post
You shouldn't have to make up an excuse to drop by and see the part, or get a pic sent to you for that matter. Now if they are hiding something it'll be a problem, but if someone is going to claim it's bad, you should have no problem asking for evidence.
So true, but to me it seems like his dealer is being kind of evasive

I have a good dealer. I'm pretty sure they would have called me up and asked me to drop by to see the issue as soon as they discovered it.
maximrebel and passx like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 07:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
So true, but to me it seems like his dealer is being kind of evasive.
Fully agreed, something doesn't pass the smell test; at least that's the way it seems anyway.

I don't have a dealer that I trust, that's why I do everything myself unless I just can't. There is ONE tech that I trust and know at the dealer, but I would have to know for sure that HE is the one touching it.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 09:50 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximrebel View Post

I don't have a dealer that I trust, that's why I do everything myself unless I just can't. There is ONE tech that I trust and know at the dealer, but I would have to know for sure that HE is the one touching it.
There is only one tech that has touched any of my bikes for years. He's the head tech at my local Honda Yamaha shop and he's very good. I used to always request him, now they just know if I bring one my bikes in, it goes on his bench. I've also told him if he feels any of my bikes needs anything in his opinion, to just take care of it. He knows I trust him and he takes good care of my bikes. In return, I always make sure to give him gift certificates, or will bring him his favorite pizza ( large Pizza Hut super supreme thin crust) a few days after he works on one of my bikes.
maximrebel and blast like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page