Great ride + Tire review (190/55/17) - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
In addition to riding motorcycles for many years, I ride mountain bikes, road bikes, snowboards, ski's, waterski's, ice skates, you name it. I know what a difference in ride height and handling feels like. I'm not imagining anything...but if it makes folks feel better to tell me I am....it's all good. I'm probably never buying 180's for the rear of this bike ever again *shrug*.
I water/snow ski, play hockey, and ride road bikes too... 😉

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
I water/snow ski, play hockey, and ride road bikes too... 😉
I'm not surprised, but I'm not the one suggesting you don't know what you're feeling..lol....better yet seeing on a $400 GPS and my Dash display. I was grumpy this morning, so I'm not trying to start an argument...it could be partly what N4HHE mentioned that I was coming from an old squared 180 to a brand new 190. All I know is it handles great now, even in the wet...and my speedo difference is gone *shrug*... oh and I’m noticeably higher on my toes, and the chicken strips are bigger than on 180’s
RaYzerman and Mad German like this.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Last edited by AtlRiderrr; 09-17-2020 at 09:26 PM.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth View Post
Where did you buy them for $250 for the pair ??
Ebay...from a seller called "massdepot". Continental Road Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
C'mon ATL.... you know better than speaking of a 190 rear, much less anything other than brand M !!!!

Whats next..... putting a car tire on the rear ??
Lol. Dealing with a bunch of ol' moderators that have probably had this same debate 80 times..lol. Oh well, I'm still gonna put my personal experience into the jar!

*I still have no idea what the car tire thing people always talk about is...are they legit putting automobile tires on bikes?*

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 01:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
*I still have no idea what the car tire thing people always talk about is...are they legit putting automobile tires on bikes?*
They do it.

And the car tire isn't even GT-rated!

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
They do it.

And the car tire isn't even GT-rated!
Thats a big nope for me.

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 08:04 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Since were talking about alternative size tires has anyone gone with a 180/60 or 180/65 to get a little more sidewall and maybe a bit smoother ride ?? Good or bad idea
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 09:36 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
What a great review!

Quote:
There's been quite a lot of tire discussion recently, so I wanted to share my experience. Even though they don't seem to be anyone's favorite on the forum, I've been avidly using Continental tires on my motorcycles for years...always with very consistent results and great grip throughout the length of the tires life...usually right down to the bars on the back. On my VFR I use Conti "Motions". I get both tires for around $160 and get them put on "off bike" for another maybe $70? Thats CHEAP in the motorcycle world and I usually get enough mileage from the front to last two rear tires. I decided to stay loyal and experiment with a longer lasting beefier Conti tire for the FJR and see how it goes. I went with the Conti "Road Attack 2" ($250 for both!). At the suggestion of RaYzerman and a couple others on the boards I went with a 190/55/17 on the rear instead of the 180 that comes stock. MAN was that a good choice! I spent 6 hours on the FJR in the NGA and NC mountains yesterday having a hoon of a time. The bike falls into corners soooo easy now....enough that it will catch you off guard the first ride after you get them put on. Once you get used to the new curve of the tire, it performs excellently! As for the tires themselves...amazing grip....quiet.....GREAT on wet roads....wherever there was shade on the road yesterday, the roads were still quite wet from the passover showers....I was a little more timid with the lean and throttle of course on those spots, but not once did my wheels slide at all, and I was still cranking it way over. The only CON I can see for some riders already struggling with standover height on this big bike, is that the tire adds another 1/2 inch or so to the height of the rear. I'm 6 feet tall and i am on the balls/toes of my boots when I put both feet down....but I'm used to that characteristic of this bike already. I'll attach a couple pics of the ride. You can see how much of the tire I used yesterday and I still had room for more. I scraped my boot toe sliders a couple times, but never the peg feeler....there's clearly room enough on the tire to go further as well. I remember on my 180 tire, I used almost the entire tire except maybe 1/8 inch....so I see this as another positive. What a bike!

One more thing. Speedo is dead balls accurate now.....cross checked with my Garmin 660. So it DOES fix the speedo error! Too many PROS and not enough CONS for this guy!
I couldn't agree with you more. When I went from the Michelins that were on my '09 when I bought it to the Conti Road Attack 3GTs the bike became way more comfortable on turn-in and throughout a corner. The twisties became a blast! I felt like the bike was not very corner friendly on those Michelins. Now I keep getting surprised by scraping pegs on a few corners that I'm not even concerned about how far over I am. Love 'em!

Hangin' in Franklin Indiana. Indiana's best kept secret. It's also where 31, 44, 65, 144 and 135 all lead. Ok, 135 is a bit of a stretch but, you get the idea. Currently home to a 2009 FJR, 1980 XS850 Special, 1982 400 Maxim and a 1983 XJ750 Maxim.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 11:29 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
There's been quite a lot of tire discussion recently, so I wanted to share my experience. Even though they don't seem to be anyone's favorite on the forum, I've been avidly using Continental tires on my motorcycles for years...always with very consistent results and great grip throughout the length of the tires life...usually right down to the bars on the back. On my VFR I use Conti "Motions". I get both tires for around $160 and get them put on "off bike" for another maybe $70? Thats CHEAP in the motorcycle world and I usually get enough mileage from the front to last two rear tires. I decided to stay loyal and experiment with a longer lasting beefier Conti tire for the FJR and see how it goes. I went with the Conti "Road Attack 2" ($250 for both!). At the suggestion of RaYzerman and a couple others on the boards I went with a 190/55/17 on the rear instead of the 180 that comes stock. MAN was that a good choice! I spent 6 hours on the FJR in the NGA and NC mountains yesterday having a hoon of a time. The bike falls into corners soooo easy now....enough that it will catch you off guard the first ride after you get them put on. Once you get used to the new curve of the tire, it performs excellently! As for the tires themselves...amazing grip....quiet.....GREAT on wet roads....wherever there was shade on the road yesterday, the roads were still quite wet from the passover showers....I was a little more timid with the lean and throttle of course on those spots, but not once did my wheels slide at all, and I was still cranking it way over. The only CON I can see for some riders already struggling with standover height on this big bike, is that the tire adds another 1/2 inch or so to the height of the rear. I'm 6 feet tall and i am on the balls/toes of my boots when I put both feet down....but I'm used to that characteristic of this bike already. I'll attach a couple pics of the ride. You can see how much of the tire I used yesterday and I still had room for more. I scraped my boot toe sliders a couple times, but never the peg feeler....there's clearly room enough on the tire to go further as well. I remember on my 180 tire, I used almost the entire tire except maybe 1/8 inch....so I see this as another positive. What a bike!
One more thing. Speedo is dead balls accurate now.....cross checked with my Garmin 660. So it DOES fix the speedo error! Too many PROS and not enough CONS for this guy!

You just answered one of the issues that bothered me about the speedo inaccuracy. Although I purchased my 2012 FJR recently with new tires installed I think I will change the tire size next spring to hopefully fix this.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Yep, I’m still very happy with the decision! Jury is out on longevity, but for the cost it’s gonna be hard to beat unless i only get 3k out of em.

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page