Tank Bag Security - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 04:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For long distance riding, for me, a tank bag is almost indispensable. Just a little faster for go-to items, and nice on a 1,000 mile plus run to get some gum, sunglasses, etc., while riding.

After trying several other bags this year, I went back to a tanklock bag. Only used for distance. And if I have to leave the bike for more than going into a gas station, it gets thrown in one of the hard cases or taken with me.
Redfish likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 08:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Mine has quick clips. If I walk away from the bike, it comes with me.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

But my original question was whether anyone had their tank bag stolen. I donít leave anything valuable in it when I am gone. But if you go into a restaurant or store, do you take it off or leave it on?

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 04:45 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

In all my travels from Maine to Mobile & Columbus to Key West I have never once had anything stolen or had anyone ever mess with my bike. Helmet, luggage, even sunglasses. Never anything done to them or taken. Granted, I won't leave stuff laying around for hrs or overnight but to pop into a pisser room or grab a burger to me it's no big deal. That said, I would never leave my wallet or phone in a tank bag. But I'd leave the bag.

Russ
2007A

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:33 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Same here. I wonít leave a wallet or belt mounted equipment. But Iíve never had a problem with stuff just left on the bike for stops. For long stops or overnights, stuff gets
Pulled off and put in the case. Overnights, bike goes under a cover. More to keep prying eyes and hands off of it than anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
In all my travels from Maine to Mobile & Columbus to Key West I have never once had anything stolen or had anyone ever mess with my bike. Helmet, luggage, even sunglasses. Never anything done to them or taken. Granted, I won't leave stuff laying around for hrs or overnight but to pop into a pisser room or grab a burger to me it's no big deal. That said, I would never leave my wallet or phone in a tank bag. But I'd leave the bag.
bounce and sgkramar like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 08:26 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Ditto -- never had anything stolen off the bike, and I often leave helmet, jacket, etc. on the bike when I go in restaurants or stores. If I’ll be away from bike for a couple of hours I’ll put the half cover (I love it!) over all the gear to hide it.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Stephen Kramar
2018 FJR1300A

Last edited by sgkramar; 09-17-2020 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Correction
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 08:50 PM
FJR Top Gun

knock on wood, never had anything stolen or messed with left on the bike since I started riding in 1965. Run tank bags on all my bikes 24/7/365 and often leave my helmet hanging on a mirror or footpeg and jacket thrown over the tank bag.Sometimes I find I've forgotten to remove the key from the ignition even lol. When parked overnight I take my stuff into the hotel with me. I never park in sketchy places though.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 08:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcowboy View Post
But my original question was whether anyone had their tank bag stolen. I don’t leave anything valuable in it when I am gone. But if you go into a restaurant or store, do you take it off or leave it on?

Same answer I gave in post #12 (right above you asking again). That leaves the unanswered first question answered too (no).

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 11:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcowboy View Post
But my original question was whether anyone had their tank bag stolen. I donít leave anything valuable in it when I am gone. But if you go into a restaurant or store, do you take it off or leave it on?
Pretty much everyone answered that they take it off with them, not sure why you think no one answered your question(s).

1. Mine has never been stolen.
2. I do NOT leave it on the bike if the bike is not in my sight.

My travel packing leaves plenty of room in my Givi top box for the tank bag and my helmet to fit inside when I am away from the bike. My tank bag is magnetic, I simply tuck it into my top box.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 12:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've never had one stolen. I leave it on the bike and take it in at the end of the day. Again, don't put anything in it you can't afford to lose.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page