Fjr vs ........ - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 01:02 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
To each his own but to me "down low" is a spot on the tach and not relative to where the power band hangs out. When a "fast" 600 has to have me give it a push off with my toes from a start, to not bog down, that's gutless.
Now you are being ridiculous.

You have to push start a modern 600cc bike like an R6 with your toes?????????
So do I start quoting torque statistics of a 600cc compared to a 400cc or a 300cc?

Do I start talking about a 49cc honda mini trail?

Or 5hp briggs and stratton powered no suspension scooter?

Na! no one needs to hear that. They know the truth.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 02:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
There are a variety of engine size versions of all the bikes you mentioned. I currently have a CBR1000rr that I just traded an 1199 Panigale Ducati for. They will both leave an FJR for dead. Yes, the FJR is a fast bike. But not a stupid fast bike.
There's a lot to be said about how the power-to-weight ratio affects a bike, and the heavy FJR suffers in that equation. I traded in my FJR a few months ago for a 2020 R1250R, and while the HP and torque spec numbers are similar between the two bikes, at 150 pounds lighter the R is a notably quicker bike than the FJR, both in the straights and corners (though obviously the latter has more to do with handling than power, per se). Of course, there's also the "inline-4 vs. twin" torque curve (and the R now has the variable Shift-Cam tech that keeps the twin torque strong through the powerband) that weights the comparison in favor of the R, but still...apples to apples, weight will negatively impact performance every time. Too bad Yamaha doesn't (yet*) have a Tracer with the numbers of the FJR...that'd be something.

*I recall seeing a spy shot a half-year ago of a MT-10 with mini-fairing and hard panniers, so perhaps that'll be Yamaha's answer in 2021 to that power-to-weight issue...

2016 FJR1300A
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 03:30 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
There's a lot to be said about how the power-to-weight ratio affects a bike, and the heavy FJR suffers in that equation. I traded in my FJR a few months ago for a 2020 R1250R, and while the HP and torque spec numbers are similar between the two bikes, at 150 pounds lighter the R is a notably quicker bike than the FJR, both in the straights and corners (though obviously the latter has more to do with handling than power, per se). Of course, there's also the "inline-4 vs. twin" torque curve (and the R now has the variable Shift-Cam tech that keeps the twin torque strong through the powerband) that weights the comparison in favor of the R, but still...apples to apples, weight will negatively impact performance every time. Too bad Yamaha doesn't (yet*) have a Tracer with the numbers of the FJR...that'd be something.

*I recall seeing a spy shot a half-year ago of a MT-10 with mini-fairing and hard panniers, so perhaps that'll be Yamaha's answer in 2021 to that power-to-weight issue...
I was 12 hours from pulling the trigger on a GS1250 when I bought my FJR instead. I rode one about 20 miles and was impressed with it. Ultimately I didn’t want to pay the $6-7,000 extra it would have cost me, and I wanted to be done with Euro bikes....which I had three of at the time. I’m now back to all Japanese.

The weight issue will become more important to me as I get older, as it is for many riders. I’m 67 and down 30 lbs since my bypass surgery two years ago. I’m already having to learn to be more cautious pushing the FJR out of the garage.

Glad your happy with the R? Why not the RS? BTW, I do sort of have a lighter Sport Touring bike. I have a 2020 Ninja 1000SX.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX

Last edited by jjscsix; 10-15-2020 at 09:44 AM.

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 03:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I was 12 hours from pulling the trigger on a GS1250 when I bought my FJR instead. I rode one about 20 miles and was impressed with it. Ultimately I didnít want to pay the $6-7,000 extra it would have cost me, and I wanted to be done with Euro bikes....which I had three of at the time. Iím not back to all Japanese.

Glad your happy with the R? Why not the RS? BTW, I do sort of have a lighter Sport Touring bike. I have a 2020 Ninja 1000SX.
Congrats on the '20 Ninja 1000SX. I was actually very focused for some time on the idea of the newly-redesigned Ninja 1000SX with its new features and tech -- and, again, hard panniers and screen, plus even sportier -- but the two test rides I took just didn't quite sell me on it, which was actually a bit of a surprise and disappointment...for a good while there, it was my default bike as it looked great on paper, but it just somehow didn't fit me quite right. Just as well, I suppose, as the insurance rates I was quoted on it -- for a fifty-something homeowner with a clean driving record and 40 years of riding experience -- were absolutely insane. Then I looked at the BMW F900XR and the Tracer GT...but didn't want the taller ADV stance of the bikes. Started considering naked bikes, and looked at the Honda CB1000R, the Yamaha MT10, Ducati Monster 1200, and a few others. All fell short for me in some regard.

Then toward the end of my hunt I actually did try the BMW R1250RS, and the aggressive ergonomics were all wrong for me and the longer wheelbase (or rake? or trail?) negatively impacted the handling, even though it had everything else going for it. Then I tried its naked roadster brother, the R1250R, and was instantly smitten. No, it doesn't have much wind protection at the moment (have a small flyscreen on it), but I got used to that fast...clean air can be surprisingly quiet and unobtrusive when there's not a big shield chopping it up and buffeting your helmet. But as a sport tourer in disguise, it does have brackets all set for for OEM panniers for whatever touring I might have in mind...may pick those up next year, if I can swallow the $1K price tag.
jjscsix likes this.

2016 FJR1300A

Last edited by RC65; 09-18-2020 at 04:05 PM.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 09:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
You have to push start a modern 600cc bike like an R6 with your toes??

Not an R6 specifically but a Triumph Daytona 600 and a GXR6 (test riding them for my SiL and rode the Daytona back the 300 miles from where he bought it) both either needed a toe push or had to have their necks wrung to get off the line (at the same speed as the surrounding traffic) from any traffic light/stop sign. Not wanting to be a yabbo, I chose the former.

Aside from that, the monkey-humping-position of the GXR was torture to me while the Daytona only needed a break every 30 to 45 minutes. Clearly not my cuppa (and why the Monster, Street Triple, and similar models would have been my go-to instead). It's the same reason that, after test riding a Triumph Sprint ST left me forever unhappy with my then Gold Wing, it still didn't fit for long distances like I wanted, but eventually lead me to the FJR. It's also why I don't consider the (classic, sub-liter) VFR a "sport touring" option like I've seen some people claim.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 09-19-2020 at 09:19 AM.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 01:47 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Not an R6 specifically but a Triumph Daytona 600 and a GXR6 (test riding them for my SiL and rode the Daytona back the 300 miles from where he bought it) both either needed a toe push or had to have their necks wrung to get off the line (at the same speed as the surrounding traffic) from any traffic light/stop sign. .

You make my point. Especially when you mention "down low" and "have their necks wrung"

You have to ride a 600 like it is supposed to be ridden. Not like a 1300.

The FJRs engine makes power to about 8500 rpm. Maybe 9000.

The 600 makes power to 15000rpm. To expect the 600 to leave a dead stop at 1500 rpm like a 1300cc is not realistic. Just like leaving a stop with a 1300 at 3000rpm.

You would not ride around on your FJR at 10000rpm. On the 600 10000 rpm is only 60% of its usable RPM. That is not wringing its neck. Just like the 1300 will run all day long at 9000 rpm without damage the 600 will run all day long at 15000 rpm with no damage.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Not an R6 specifically but a Triumph Daytona 600 and a GXR6 (test riding them for my SiL and rode the Daytona back the 300 miles from where he bought it) both either needed a toe push or had to have their necks wrung to get off the line (at the same speed as the surrounding traffic) from any traffic light/stop sign. Not wanting to be a yabbo, I chose the former.

Aside from that, the monkey-humping-position of the GXR was torture to me while the Daytona only needed a break every 30 to 45 minutes. Clearly not my cuppa (and why the Monster, Street Triple, and similar models would have been my go-to instead)...
Sport bikes are not for everyone. Most of us age out of them eventually although I do know some old guys still running around on their Panigales! Maybe because theyíre the ones who can afford them? At 65 my neck doesnít like the riding position as much as it used to and like you Iím finding naked more attractive. I traded my last R1 for an MT10 and never looked back. I test ride 600s regularly at work and honestly never have to rev or push or even slip the clutch leaving from a stop. They have as much power as any other small or equal displacement bike down low but donít make their real power until higher in the rev range. They certainly donít have the 2000rpm grunt of an FJR but by the same token an FJR isnít going to rev to 15,000rpm either. Somehow I feel like weíre trying to compare apples to hamburgers, both are good but really donít have too much in common.
bounce and FastPappy like this.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:57 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
The FJR is deceptively fast. If it was a naked bike and skinnier, you'd get a much better perspective of how fast it pulls.
Aerodynamics plays a big role in acceleration past 60 or so. You are overcoming wind resistance, and more of it as you go faster. That isn't like adding weight, its like adding more weight (or going up a steeper hill) as you go faster.

The FJR isn't brilliantly slippery (no bike is) but it's decent and has all the fiddle bits hidden under plastic. Would likely be slower (both roll on and top speed) on the highway if naked.

'09 FJR1300, '85FJ1100, '80XJ SECA (heavily modified)
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 09:30 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb Wiers View Post
Aerodynamics plays a big role in acceleration past 60 or so. You are overcoming wind resistance, and more of it as you go faster. That isn't like adding weight, its like adding more weight (or going up a steeper hill) as you go faster.

The FJR isn't brilliantly slippery (no bike is) but it's decent and has all the fiddle bits hidden under plastic. Would likely be slower (both roll on and top speed) on the highway if naked.
That is true (my other bike is naked)...but thats why I was just saying you'd be able to experience its acceleration better...sensation wise.... if naked...not that it would be faster....

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page