Fjr vs ........ - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The main difference is that most 600s are gutless down low so if you don't carry max speed through a turn (slow, look, lean, roll) the bottom end tq of the FJR *can* make a difference.

So, in reality, the difference is limited to track use when there's no x-ray vision to see what's around that next curve. If you're like me, then that's pretty much bench-racing (like comparing spread sheets) and uninteresting.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:58 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
The main difference is that most 600s are gutless down low so if you don't carry max speed through a turn (slow, look, lean, roll) the bottom end tq of the FJR *can* make a difference.

So, in reality, the difference is limited to track use when there's no x-ray vision to see what's around that next curve.

600s are not gutless "down low" because down low is different.

Down low for an R6 is 10,000 rpm 1500 below its peak torque number. While its peak horsepower is found at 14,500 rpm.

You dont need to carry max speed through a turn you need to be in the correct gear for the turn.

An R6 can enter the turn at the same speed as an FJR but it will have higher mid corner speed due to its lighter weight and will accelerate away from the FJR on exit due to it better power to weight ratio.

This will happen on any corner on any road that the rider is willing to ride hard.

You can not say street speeds are lower and closer to the FJRs limit therefor the performance advantage of the R6 is negated. That is because the percent of handling performance remains the constant. If the FJR executes a corner at 75% of capacity and the R6 executes the same corner at the same 75% of capacity the R6 will win every time.

Lets say you restrict the entire corner speed to make it easier for the FJR to compete at legal speeds.

You would need to set some criteria for measuring a winner. Lets pick hitting specific marks as the measurement.

Even at the same entry speed, mid corner speed and exit speed the lighter and better power to weight ratio the R6 will be much easier to consistently hit the marks with. Every time. Thus the R6 is better at street speeds where there is "No X-ray vision" because of its lower weight and better P/W ratio available for mid corner corrections.

The R6 is better in every measurable performance category in every scenario. Its the immeasurable catagories the FJR is better. Like comfort, long distance amenities.

Given the same rider skill.
Donk likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 02:41 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Straight line speeds are for chumps and NHRA. The curve is everything.
Straight Roads are for Fast Bikes. Turns are for Fast Riders.
bounce, JohnC, passx and 1 others like this.

Motorcycle Papa, '18 FJR1300A, '05 WR450F, '97 KTM 620RXC/e

"There's never enough horsepower ... Just not enough traction." - Carroll Shelby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 04:46 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have the FJR and the Tracer 900 and it feels like the Tracer accelerate faster, at least in the first 1-2 seconds. Probably this is only a sensation and in reality the FJR will pull away as the speed gets higher and higher but I am sure the Tracer 900 reacts faster.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 09:10 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
The FJR is deceptively fast. If it was a naked bike and skinnier, you'd get a much better perspective of how fast it pulls. Not uncommon for me to look down and see 90ish when you think you're going 65. Haven't run a lot of bikes with it...but I've gotten the flustered "I give up" thumbs up from several muscle and sports car owners. Better come with 6/700Hp to this party...haha
And on regular gas.
bounce likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 09:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy344! View Post
Yeah, I have rolled with GXSrs, Aprillias, Ducatis, CBRs, and all are not happy that I can hang with them... WITH BAGS!!!! LOL

Orion is one bad mutha....Shut your Mouth!
There are a variety of engine size versions of all the bikes you mentioned. I currently have a CBR1000rr that I just traded an 1199 Panigale Ducati for. They will both leave an FJR for dead. Yes, the FJR is a fast bike. But not a stupid fast bike.
bounce, rbentnail, Gitbox and 2 others like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 06:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, sure, but I don't want a stupid fast bike. Maybe 20 years ago, back when I was younger and in my fifties . . .
passx and justacrossthehill like this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Well, sure, but I don't want a stupid fast bike. Maybe 20 years ago, back when I was younger and in my fifties . . .
I've only ridden a "stupid fast bike" one time, and it was in a parking garage. An R1. I didn't even hit 30 and between the riding position and the instant throttle....I already knew I wouldn't want it for street use.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 10:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

“Stupid fast bikes” can be a lot of fun to ride as long as you respect them. It does not mean you have to ride them stupid fast nor do you have to go stupid fast to enjoy them.
passx likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 09:07 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
600s are not gutless "down low" because down low is different.

Down low for an R6 is 10,000 rpm 1500 below its peak torque number. While its peak horsepower is found at 14,500 rpm.
To each his own but to me "down low" is a spot on the tach and not relative to where the power band hangs out. When a "fast" 600 has to have me give it a push off with my toes from a start, to not bog down, that's gutless.

And we've all heard the old saying about how it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
Dubfjr likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page