Does anyone practice downshifting w/ emergency braking? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 08:43 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

For my current bike, unless I want to break the transmission, have to downshift *with* the decrease in speed. It takes a fair amount of attention to make sure I'm not downshifting too far, too fast. I'd love to be able to just put in first or second way ahead of time, but that caveat makes doing that a risky affair. I'd rather not have to fix my trans. (EDIT: Rev matching helps but it's not fool proof; there are still limitations.)

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles

Last edited by Intuit; 09-08-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 10:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunia720 View Post
My question is for anyone that practices emergency braking (straight line for this scenario). Do any of you all incorporate downshifting/engine braking at the same time? I realize it is going to be hard to paint the scenario via text but say if something pops out where you need to stop in a straight line as quick as possible I myself get better stopping times kicking down 1-3 gears while stopping and releasing the clutch. All at the same time mind you, I see the problem and recognize I need to stop quick as possible, while I am aggressively braking w/both front and back brakes I also pull clutch and depending on speed and situation drop 1-3 gears and release clutch for engine braking as well. Mind you if I dropped more than 2 gears I'm not popping the clutch back out in case it's too much and I end up locking rear anyways. Keeping with flow of traffic speeds coupled with aggressive braking 2-3 down works for me. Maybe a slight rear lock up but that's kinda what I'm looking for.

Just wondering if anyone else does this or am I doing too much?
I've found that from riding in Florida, emergency breaking and avoidance has become second nature with all the half blind cagers on the road! I'm only about half kidding...
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 10:24 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Not directly related, but I have to get my bike inspected every year. I always go to my local Yamaha stealership.

One year I had to get it done and the shop was closed. I took it to a "quicker sticker" place, here in Texas, and I had to ride it for the inspector.

He said, OK, now go straight, get it to about 20 MPH, and lock the front wheel! I snickered. Dude, I can't do that...

He said, well, I can't pass you, if you can't lock the front wheel and maintain your lane.

I said, OK, how about you show me how to do it, and I'll try. With his cocky swagger, he threw a leg over Orion, Got it going fast, and jammed the front brake... LOL, no lockie... He said that my front brakes must be bad, and he was going to fail me.

I finally had enough, and said, do you know about ABS? Smugly, he said, "Of course, most new cars have it now." Yeah, well so does my bike! He didn't believe me. I had to show him the sensors, and the ABS pump.

After a serving of humble pie, he passed Orion and gave me the sticker.

It was a good day...
bounce and cra-z1 like this.

'06 FJR1300A Orion the Hunter

Greg

post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Lock the front wheel? Even going straight w/out ABS you'll crash or do a endo/stoppie!! That's insane, I almost wish you didn't have ABS but then again he probably would of dumped Orion
skippy344! likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 11:33 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunia720 View Post
Lock the front wheel? Even going straight w/out ABS you'll crash or do a endo/stoppie!! That's insane, I almost wish you didn't have ABS but then again he probably would of dumped Orion
... yeah that dude would've been *buying* humble pie... not just eating it.
bounce and skippy344! like this.

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 08:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Budiculous that he even asked you to do that.......

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 09:00 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Great replies, all!

Yeah, it is good to have a good relationship with the stealership, tho.

They know me, they know my technical abilities, and of course I bought Orion from them, so when I pull in for an inspection, they know Orion is "Tight!"

It is basically, "May I see your insurance? Is the key on the bike? Be back in a few..." The tech will do a quick walk around, start it up, and go for a quick ride! I think they just want to ride my bike! LOL

Or it is a sales ploy, because I always end up buying something, while waiting for the tech to return!

Greg
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 09:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I downshift while emergency braking (MSF) but I don't let the clutch out (engine braking) because that is less controllable than using the brakes. I can come to a stop, be in first, and be ready to go if others don't stop.
cra-z1, slowdave, Haynes and 1 others like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 03:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

I generally ride all the time in race type format, so this means when I come to most lights I've downshifted and rev matched down to about 2nd gear (occasionally all the way to first since its so tall) then brakes....same applied to setting proper gear per speed when I'm in traffic. Try to never get stuck in a slug gear, or one thats too high for your speed. If you practice this all the time along with rapid up, and downshifts when overtaking etc it'll be second nature.....then if it's an ordinary panic break situation, as opposed to dire "im about to die" panic breaking situation, you'll find you are already in the right gear to get some engine assistance if needed. My .02
nunia720 likes this.
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Do you all ever speed downshift without using your clutch?

I had a friend who would always up and down shift at the speed matching RPM, without pulling in his clutch. He would only use his clutch to start off, from a dead stop.

Now, it was a 1978 Yamaha XS11G!

I have never tried it on Orion.

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page