Dealer made me laugh - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Dealer made me laugh

So as I posted in my earlier post I am looking to get back on an FJR. I my quest to find an FJR I saw an ad from Del Amo motorsports in Long Beach 2020 FJR1300 ES for 13995.00. So I called today to see what gives with the price. Nice young lady on the phone confirms the price on one vehicle, price is low secondary to discounts from Yamaha and Del Amo equalling 4000.00. So then she starts going through the additional fees, get this dealer prep, delivery etc all that crap I have never pain for on any bike new in the past, 3995.00 I stopped her and said 39.95 she says no 3995.00, I started cracking up. Wished her a good day and hung up.
blchandl2 and blast like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 07:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

But they're losing $5 in the deal! Ha!
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 07:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

...and the axiom too good to be true remains valid

2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2015 Yamaha R1
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 10:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

On travel in California I never ceased to be amazed at the thousands of dollars of taxes and dealer fees and state fees and environmental fees heaped on top of full MSRP.

While around here one expects to get out the door for less than MSRP even when taxes are included.

Even so, a friend drove to Illinois fir a new 2018 A for $12995 out the door. Paid 2.75% tax when he got home.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 11:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
On travel in California I never ceased to be amazed at the thousands of dollars of taxes and dealer fees and state fees and environmental fees heaped on top of full MSRP.

While around here one expects to get out the door for less than MSRP even when taxes are included.

Even so, a friend drove to Illinois fir a new 2018 A for $12995 out the door. Paid 2.75% tax when he got home.
I made a similar deal when I bought my 2016A new. Drove to Lockport Illinois and trailered back to Texas. OTD price was around $12,300. No tax, ,except I paid 6.25% sales tax here in Texas. Still saved a chunk of change from buying local. All in I was just over $13,000. Plus the trip and $14 a day trailer rental of course. I'd do it again if and when the need arises. Of course since it looks like the op is in California, and if he is a resident of such, that any motorcycle purchased across state lines brought back in for use in Cal. would have to meet Cal. emission standards. So, I suppose out of state purchase is off the table on new unit unless it has Cal emissions.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.

Last edited by RobertO2016; 09-04-2020 at 12:03 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 07:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yep, had a similar experience when I bought my 14a. I emailed all the dealers within 100mi of me asking what their best Out-The-Doir price was and it was very interesting to see the all over responses I got back. One dealer in Michiganquoted me a to good to be true price so I called him and directly asked him “is this your OTD?” Which he assured me it was, so I told him to write it up.

When he sent me the contract and wanting a down payment I was shocked at the list of add-on things that boosted the price nearly 4K. When I called him back and asked about he OTD price he gave me, he assured me that it was and all the add-ins were things everyone had to pay. I told him to forget it! But about 2 weeks later his daughter called me and wanted to know when I wanted to pick my bike up because they had it prepped and on the floor waiting for me, it seemed to take quite a bit to make her understand that I wasn’t buying from them and had bought a bike from someone else. She even called me again about 2 mos later with a “special deal” for me. Just crooks ! They were out of business not long after.
blast likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 09:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

Was starting to see some downward price movement on '20 FJR's on Cycle Trader. Suspect their add on fees will push the prices right back to MSRP.

2019 FJR A
2010 FZ1
1983 Honda Z50
1975 Honda CB400F
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 11:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Buy anywhere (except if you live in Kalifornia). Get a bill of sale and a certificate of origin from the dealer. Take it home and register is within 45 days and pay only local taxes and fees.

Easy peezy.

With CA, you ride it around for 7200 miles (trip home from purchase location and some riding for a month) then you can register it.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 11:50 AM
FJR Top Gun

Had that happen to a woman friend of mine on a used bike.

A used Yammi FJ09 listed on their website for a similar price to many others. We get there and they want an additional $1600 for service and prep. ON A USED BIKE! With no warranty.

Never, ever even walk into Beaverton Honda.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 01:34 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Had that happen to a woman friend of mine on a used bike.

A used Yammi FJ09 listed on their website for a similar price to many others. We get there and they want an additional $1600 for service and prep. ON A USED BIKE! With no warranty.

Never, ever even walk into Beaverton Honda.
HA! Agreed! I've been buying street bikes and dirt bikes all around Portland, Vancouver and Salem since 1980. The only good experience walking into Beaverton Honda was to buy off road stickers for the dirt bikes every two years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page