Dealer made me laugh - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 02:08 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Bill, that is hilarious. They should have advertised it for $1 and then had all the rest as additional fees and dealer prep! The $1 would have caught people's attention as that 13995.00 caught yours.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 04:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wall View Post
In my quest to find an FJR I saw an ad from Del Amo motorsports in Long Beach 2020 FJR1300 ES for 13995.00. So I called today to see what gives with the price. Nice young lady on the phone confirms the price on one vehicle, ... she says no 3995.00
Thought it might be nice to get a 2016 for its cruise control. (Love the FJR Blue) I live close to Del Amo Motorsports, so when I saw their ad in CycleTrader, I called, thinking getting a 2020 instead of a 2016 might work out ok. Spoke to the same lady and got the same lowball response. Experiences like this drive me far, far away from dealerships. If they will be this disreputable when selling a bike, one can only imagine the rip-off and attitude when a bike is taken in for service.

Glad some of you live close to more reputable dealers.

Eric

2012 FJR 1300A
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 09:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Buy anywhere (except if you live in Kalifornia). Get a bill of sale and a certificate of origin from the dealer. Take it home and register is within 45 days and pay only local taxes and fees.
In Alabama one has 20 days including weekends to register and pay sales tax.

Had a bit of a issue with a Toyota. Paid with check. Dealer was ďwaiting for check to clear.Ē Finally faxed a copy of my own cleared check from credit union before dealer sent final paperwork. I got in just under the 20 day deadline.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 10:27 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

OP
Don't be surprised that this dealer is using bait advertising tactics to reel you in.

I responded to the same company with a different location and got the run around about not having the advertised FJR.

THEN this salesman attempted to spin me into looking into something about what I DIDNT go there for.

Personally, I'd luv to purchase a 2020 FJR.
If I do, it WON'T be from this group.

Research around.

I'm fortunate for having these forums to make better decisions before I start looking.

Good luck

2009 FJR1300A
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 11:40 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Most of the dealers here in Ca do the same bait and switch crap. Only place Ive found that doesn't is GP motorcycles in San Diego. All Euro bikes. Last new bike I bought from them (17 Guzzi Griso) it was discounted (3900.) then sales tax and DMV fees, thats it. This was the third bike Id bought there and same treatment every time.
Chameleon and TooManyBikes like this.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 11:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

D&H Cycles in Cullman, AL

Fly-and-ride it back home. Half the 7200 miles will be knocked out and you can do the other half in a weekend.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wall View Post
.......... additional fees, get this dealer prep, delivery etc ...... 3995.00 I stopped her and said 39.95 she says no 3995.00, I started cracking up. Wished her a good day and hung up.
Ain't it funny how everyone thinks you're too sdubid to see $3,999.99 or $3995 as $4,000? Well, even funnier, when ask people to repeat a $3.99 price, they often say $3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
Bill, that is hilarious. They should have advertised it for $1 and then had all the rest as additional fees and dealer prep! The $1 would have caught people's attention as that 13995.00 caught yours.
They actually do that on FleaBay.

Then you also see $14 items listed at $30,000. I used to think they were just looking for "wrong clicks" until it occurred to me that they're likely just using the listings to launder money.

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Itís a common practice both in cars and in motorcycle sales. It must work to some degree because the dealers keep doing it. The shop where I work which is the largest used motorcycle dealer in the country charges a $99 doc fee. Thatís it and they tell you that up front. If you register in WI they have to collect sales tax otherwise pay it when you register the bike in your home state. People are always shocked by the fact that there is no bs and quite often say so or relate horror stories from trying to do business with other dealers. May be why they sell more bikes in a month than most dealers do in a year.
bounce and Chameleon like this.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 08:28 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
When I bought my new 2015 FJR, I searched Cycletrader and found a great deal. I flew one-way to Baltimore and bought it at Glen Burnie Motorsports. It was a great deal. They had everything ready to go and I was riding away with the new motorcycle about 15 minutes after getting to the store. I recommend them based on my experience.
Chameleon likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 08:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
The shop where I work which is the largest used motorcycle dealer in the country charges a $99 doc fee. That’s it and they tell you that up front. If you register in WI they have to collect sales tax otherwise pay it when you register the bike in your home state. People are always shocked by the fact that there is no bs and quite often say so or relate horror stories from trying to do business with other dealers. May be why they sell more bikes in a month than most dealers do in a year.

That was my experience with D&H Cycles in Cullman, AL. They do a $50 fee as their profit on a 48-month YAMAHA factory extended warranty too.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page