Prepping new to me 05' for trip - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I have a tire repair and fill kit (CO2) and several of my buddies has them to.

Ya cold ones! We pick up on the way to camp...

2005 FJR
2004 Suzuki Bandit
1978 Honda CB550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 06:34 PM
Training wheels fitted!

The people saying don't do maintenance before your trip... they personally got burned so thats all they know. Make it right before you leave. If you can't do it reliably and correctly yourself, like I bet they can't, have it done. But don't ride on old oil or brakes because some guy on a forum said so. 99.9% of people are fine. I have never heard such bad advice. Just think... whats worse on a 3,000 mile trip? New brakes or old brakes? New oil or old oil? Come on man, use common sense.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 07:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The people saying don't do maintenance before your trip... they personally got burned so thats all they know. Make it right before you leave. If you can't do it reliably and correctly yourself, like I bet they can't, have it done. But don't ride on old oil or brakes because some guy on a forum said so. 99.9% of people are fine. I have never heard such bad advice. Just think... whats worse on a 3,000 mile trip? New brakes or old brakes? New oil or old oil? Come on man, use common sense.
Man, you are way out in left field with those assumptions! What I've found over the yrs from many, many people is that the owner/rider/mechanic is distracted more and more as the trip departure date nears. And more distracted minds pay less and less attention to everything. It's the nature of the beast. Dozens upon dozens of times folks have told me they broke something or stripped something simply b/c they felt the need to hurry the job to get to the next one. Last time for me was a tire replacement- it leaked badly so had to be done again the day before a trip. Then I stressed the whole time I was on the road.

2 different scenarios:

- I understand the need for maintenance on new-to-you bike purchases, absolutely. Go through things but be aware and be diligent. It's not that folks can't do it. It's that there is often too little time to correct something messed up or something else found that needs doing. Especially when parts ordering is needed. And compounded especially in today's world of extended lead times;

- the normal rider/mechanic who does maintenance routinely knows he has to "get his mind right" when working close to a deadline. Hurried jobs are F'd up jobs. Just like tying shoes- something folks have done at least once per day for 40, 50, maybe 60 years. YEARS! Get in a hurry and don't pay attention and it becomes a knot every time. How's a guy NOT screw up an unfamiliar brake or coolant job if after all those yrs he still F's up tying shoes? I have to constantly remind my workforce to calm down, slow down and pay attention.

No, I stand by my advice. For the normal rider guy, do what needs to be done well in advance and save yourself the heartburn, headache and anxiety that we all know is coming.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 09:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Maintenance is necessary and should be done regardless.... I agree last minute and hurrying is opportunity for something going amiss. Perhaps plan better, you had to know your oil needed changing the last time you came home, you don't ever need a coolant change just before a trip... but best get it all done a week or so ahead of time and go for a shakedown ride or two.....
passx and skippy344! like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Well guys, the topic turned a bit, and for the record I would never neglect oil, brakes or tires. Just asking if there was anything I should look out for on this model. I had a great trip and the bike performed flawlessly. The only issues were: I don't have a throttle lock, and vibration from the front wheel over 85 and worst at 95... hopefully the tire will balance because they were killing it otherwise. Last day and a half in smoke as we returned to Oregon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200908_132247.jpg (323.1 KB, 8 views)

2005 FJR
2004 Suzuki Bandit
1978 Honda CB550
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 12:12 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
So glad you enjoyed the trip!!! Don't you just love her?? On a side note, while on my trip I found that 1 click on front fork adjustment (not sure if thats rebound or dampening) made a huge difference with wobble and handling. Loaded and unloaded made a big difference and I would need to adjust.

Stay safe out there!!
passx likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Oh man nunia am I in love! The engine! Well when I got the bike things seemed a little on the harsh side, I ended up softening up all damping adjustments, and the rear shock is on soft unloaded and hard loaded, works great. I call her unflappable, my rock steady beat.

Can't decide if I want it quieter, it has two brothers exhaust and it's pretty loud, I always hear it. Only annoying at lower speeds.

Also maybe trying a laminar lip to keep the bugs off me, I'm tall and keep the windscreen at it's lowest to avoid buffeting.
Mr. BR and passx like this.

2005 FJR
2004 Suzuki Bandit
1978 Honda CB550
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 06:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I currently have this one installed:

I was worried it wouldn't hold up but it actually does. You can adjust the angle two different ways as well. Which is awesome when cleaning because you can lay it horizontal basically. And if you can find the sweet spot it really does take care of the heat issue that my 03 has.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Wow nunia that's a cheap option! Thanks I'll def try that out.
nunia720 likes this.

2005 FJR
2004 Suzuki Bandit
1978 Honda CB550
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 08:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
It works good, the problem is once you do find the sweet spot you better not mess w/it!!! Hard to get it back exactly the same. I'm sure I could figure a way out to mark it but I haven't done so yet.

Oh, and have fun figuring out how to put it together! Directions are worthless, other than that it works great.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page