Prepping new to me 05' for trip - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 04:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Air filter?

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 05:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You need to stop NOW!! Anyone with miles and trips under his/her/its belt will tell you it's foolish to do maintenance so close to your departure date. Stop wrenching, start riding. Ride the crap out of that thing so any problem(s) will pop up now while you still have time to repair. My cutoff date used to be 2 weeks but I've stretched that to at least 3 weeks- today's markets have extremely slow delivery of repair parts.

I seem to recall someone just recently made this mistake and is now paying for it. Something about brake pads......
Little Joe and nunia720 like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 05:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
You need to stop NOW!! Anyone with miles and trips under his/her/its belt will tell you it's foolish to do maintenance so close to your departure date. Stop wrenching, start riding. Ride the crap out of that thing so any problem(s) will pop up now while you still have time to repair. My cutoff date used to be 2 weeks but I've stretched that to at least 3 weeks- today's markets have extremely slow delivery of repair parts.

I seem to recall someone just recently made this mistake and is now paying for it. Something about brake pads......
Absolutely correct!!! Granted the bike I took on a 2000 mile trip was one week old to me but I was warned by members here. Stop wrenching and shake the bike down!!! In my defense it needed things that couldn't be ignored.....CCT, Tires, fluids.......but I literally did too much where the bike was down that whole week between me buying the bike and departure. I should have listenend, not listening cost us literally $2000 in hotels and incidentals.

PS~~~I am the brake pad guy!!!
passx likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 12:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post

I was going to say that and got caught up in other advise
Yes never change the oil.. the spark plugs or anything like that shortly before a trip ..the winds of fate will blow you into the ditch!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Hey Nunia,

Ya I'm surprised so many people here don't like the Corbin seat. I remember getting one for my Bandit sitting on it and thinking "I made a big mistake! this thing is too hard!", but then hit the road and never thought about my butt again! When I don't know about the stock seat but I like this Corbin seat as much as the one on my Bandit.

Actually I'm at +12 for all numbers 1 through 4 in the CO adjustment. It is air/fuel mixture and going up adds more fuel, CO is carbon dioxide and it goes up the richer you are, more or less. To really dial it in you need to test actual CO% at the headers before the cat. I haven't tried just adding more to the #1 CO adjustment, I'm leaning towards good enough.

2005 FJR
2004 Suzuki Bandit
1978 Honda CB550
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Thanks guys that is good advice. I should also be concentrating on helping my buddies get their bikes sorted! We shook down a few about 200 miles and the old GS1100E broke some bolts off from the starter clutch to the flywheel! I'll leave the rest of the maintenance until winter...

2005 FJR
2004 Suzuki Bandit
1978 Honda CB550
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 04:36 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

My son and I just did a 7-day twisty ride on our (his: 2006, mine: 200 FJRs. The #1 feature that we both REALLY liked was the "Motojug" which gave us each a cold gallon of water from which we could drink at any time without having to stop or fumble with bottles. I can't say enough good about this simple system.

Otherwise it sounds like you're mostly ready. In our 7 days and almost 3,300 miles, all the bikes needed was gas. Not a single problem or issue the whole way, other than his rear pumpkin barfing little splats of grease from an overly-enthusiastically-lubed spline after a 3+ hour run at 90+ in 95+ degree heat.

Enjoy your trip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3444.jpeg (95.3 KB, 18 views)
passx likes this.

Last edited by Charles.Robinson; 09-01-2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Adding photo of our bikes on the trip
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Wow you take your hydration serious Charles. I have that dialed, bladder that is insulated and I can add ice at gas stations. last year I had to drink or spit out the hot water that was in the tube outside my tank bag. Plus my old one required me to open my modular helmet and I made the mistake of taking a drink at 95 in Utah (Iron but 1000 mile day) and lost my visor!

2005 FJR
2004 Suzuki Bandit
1978 Honda CB550
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

I always like to have a portable hand air pump with me when I'm in uncharted territory on two wheels.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 07:51 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I liked not having to wear the water... and also if you park a couple of cans in the bottom of the cooler youíve got a couple cold ones waiting for you when you stop for the day. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page