Used or new FJR, A vs ES - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Used or new FJR, A vs ES

So looking to get back on FJR. Has there been any major changes in the last couple of years? Is the ES model really worth it or has there been problems with the electronics ets. My last one was an 05 which was a great bike, the Ninja I am on now is good but its not FJR and I'm selling it to get back on the Yamaha. Any in out form you guys would be helpful.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 05:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

No issues. Iíve owned A and ES back to back. Iíd be happy with either. The gen IV LED lighting, lighter clutch pull, and lower rpms at highway speed are all very nice. But I was happy with my 2014, which had none of those things. Canít go wrong from about 2013 forward, in my book. I ride with folks on FJRís considerably older. And theyíre great too.
passx and 2GENAE like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 06:39 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

IMO the ES is worth it if your load varies a lot- 2 up, solo, repeat. If not and, like me, you might put 40 lbs on for a trip, go with the A. Far better options and choices for repairs and upgrades if/when desired.
FJRChuck and passx like this.

Russ
2007A

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 07:07 PM
FJR Top Gun

I started test riding FJRs in 2007, but ended up buying a leftover ST 1300 Honda in 2008 since I thought it was the better motorcycle. I rode it for 10 years and 110,000 miles and would have bought another except Honda quit making new ones in 2012, and Honda never upgraded the motorcycle. Meanwhile, Yamaha made steady and significant improvements to the FJR. Made the clutch lighter, made the throttle lighter, worked on heat management, added a 6th gear, added cruise control, modes, ABS, traction control, and really turned it into a first class sport tourer so in 2018 I bought a new A model. I opted for the A because once I got suspension set up, which took 1 day on the FJR, I would likely never mess with it again ( except flipping the rear lever to hard when my wife wants a ride and then flipping it back to soft when she climbs off), which has indeed been the case. I didnt think the extra complexity of electronic suspension would be a $2000 necessity for me. $2K buys a lot of gas, tires and hotel rooms.

Some indeed find the ES upgrade worthwhile, but I think I made the right choice for me. The A model has turned out to be everything I hoped it would be.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 07:45 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
No issues. Iíve owned A and ES back to back. Iíd be happy with either. The gen IV LED lighting, lighter clutch pull, and lower rpms at highway speed are all very nice. But I was happy with my 2014, which had none of those things. Canít go wrong from about 2013 forward, in my book. I ride with folks on FJRís considerably older. And theyíre great too.

Wendy Crockett won this year's Iron Butt Rally on a 2005.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 08:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Had a 2005 Gen 1; loved it but the heat issue was pretty bad on it. Then had a 2013 Gen 3 and loved that one, only reason I sold it was due to needing to get rid of all loans to buy a house we wanted. Now have a 2008 Gen 2 and funny enough, I like it better than the Gen 3 - not sure why, but I'm the most comfortable on this one and maybe it's because I took it apart when I got it and made it the way I wanted it.

Basically, my recommendation is to get a 2008 or above (a lot of issues were resolved by then), get the color combo you want and stay within your budget to allow some items so you can make it your own. If that means you can afford the Gen 3, then go for it - I wouldn't worry about the 6spd or LED lights if you don't want to spend that much. If you care about it, then get it.

Hope that helps; I don't think you can really go too wrong with any FJR when you get a 2008 or above. ES, only if you really ride two up and switch back and forth. Otherwise the A and you can upgrade the suspension whenever you want.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 07:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

And that wasnít even using the original motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Wendy Crockett won this year's Iron Butt Rally on a 2005.

IBA# 69560
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 07:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Last time I was in the market, ES was only $1,000 more. $2,000 would be a dealbreaker for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I started test riding FJRs in 2007, but ended up buying a leftover ST 1300 Honda in 2008 since I thought it was the better motorcycle. I rode it for 10 years and 110,000 miles and would have bought another except Honda quit making new ones in 2012, and Honda never upgraded the motorcycle. Meanwhile, Yamaha made steady and significant improvements to the FJR. Made the clutch lighter, made the throttle lighter, worked on heat management, added a 6th gear, added cruise control, modes, ABS, traction control, and really turned it into a first class sport tourer so in 2018 I bought a new A model. I opted for the A because once I got suspension set up, which took 1 day on the FJR, I would likely never mess with it again ( except flipping the rear lever to hard when my wife wants a ride and then flipping it back to soft when she climbs off), which has indeed been the case. I didnt think the extra complexity of electronic suspension would be a $2000 necessity for me. $2K buys a lot of gas, tires and hotel rooms.

Some indeed find the ES upgrade worthwhile, but I think I made the right choice for me. The A model has turned out to be everything I hoped it would be.

IBA# 69560
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 07:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Buy as new as you can afford but keep in mind that youíre probably going to want to upgrade the seat, the windshield and add bar risers, those are what most of us do to their bike. As far as buying an A or an ES ? I guess it all depends on what you want, for me, I bought an A because my wife never rides with me, and I prefer simpler things because it usually means fewer things To go wrong. And for me the Es feels more top heavy than the A model. My opinion.

All that said though thereís a lot of very experienced people here that have put tons of miles on the ES model over the years that itís been available and I donít recall anyone having any issues. So weíre back to the buy what you want & the newest you can afford.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I opted for the A because once I got suspension set up, which took 1 day on the FJR, I would likely never mess with it again ( except flipping the rear lever to hard when my wife wants a ride and then flipping it back to soft when she climbs off), which has indeed been the case.it would be.
You may not change the pre-load very often (only when payload weight changes), but the damping (soft vs. hard) is something you may want to adjust based on road conditions. I have the ES and I actually change it during almost all my rides. While I'm on nice smooth roads I may set it to STD or even HARD, but whenever I get back home (Seattle with horrible city streets), I immediately switch to SOFT to give me a smoother ride. Just something to consider...
passx and the Ferret like this.

2016 ES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page