GPS power advise for 2018 FJR - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 09:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
When out on a ride, most riders, including myself, stop quite often for various reasons, including coffee, fuel, food, photos, cigarettes, and bum breaks.

Having your GPS connected to ignition switched power, and thus switching off at every stop, is a pain in the ass. My GPS is BlueTooth connected to my helmet, and to my phone, and getting the whole system booted up, connected, and working correctly, takes time and a bit of fiddling, you don't want to do it at every stop.

So, I always connect my GPS directly to the battery, so that it stays on during short stops. For long, or over night stops, there is always the possibility of theft, so I always remove the GPS from the bike for long stops, and there is therefor very little possibility of me forgetting to switch the GPS off, and flattening the battery.
That’s interesting, I thought bike GPS units run on rechargeable batteries, If so, would have thought they would stay on similar to a cell phone when you unplug the charging cord from it. Currently use my cell phone for navigation but have been considering getting a Garmin - good to know an unswitched power supply is necessary if I go that route.

2016 ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 09:16 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Greetings All,
I just ordered a Rowe Amplink power distribution module that I’m going to mount under my seat. I plan on hooking up a Zumo XT GPS, a Radenso XP Radar Detector and Clearwater Darlas. With six circuits available and a total of 60 amps, you can program via an app on your phone how you want each circuit to perform...for example, I’ll have a seven second delay on all circuits when I start my FJR, reserving all power for cranking. I assume I can have the GPS on a non-switched circuit so it can remain on for the reasons described above. I also have a dashboard so the GPS and Radar Detector will Mount nicely and close to my line of sight. I’m glad I have a friend who is an Electrician, ‘cause I’m that guy who shuts power off to the whole house to replace a wall outlet! !
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 10:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-11 View Post
Thatís interesting, I thought bike GPS units run on rechargeable batteries, If so, would have thought they would stay on similar to a cell phone when you unplug the charging cord from it. Currently use my cell phone for navigation but have been considering getting a Garmin - good to know an unswitched power supply is necessary if I go that route.
The GPS does have internal batteries, but when it is in a vehicle cradle, it looks for vehicle power.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 07:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

My zumo is connected to switched power but when I turn the bike off it gives you the option of running on the battery or turning off completely.
Mr_Ed and FJRChi like this.

Pappy-09AE
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 08:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastPappy View Post
My zumo is connected to switched power but when I turn the bike off it gives you the option of running on the battery or turning off completely. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thanks. That makes more sense to me. Would seem like a pretty stupid oversight by the GPS manufacturers not to have that as an option.

2016 ES
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 08:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The OP has a Nuvi...... likely a lighter socket plug, and may have a reducing transformer in the plug... if so, can't just cut the wire and feed in 12V.....

I have my Zumo wired to be powered all the time, the only time you worry about that is when you stop for the day and forget to manually shut it down or take it out of the cradle.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 08:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
The OP has a Nuvi...... likely a lighter socket plug, and may have a reducing transformer in the plug... if so, can't just cut the wire and feed in 12V.....

I have my Zumo wired to be powered all the time, the only time you worry about that is when you stop for the day and forget to manually shut it down or take it out of the cradle.
Ah yes. makes sense on the plug.

I've got my Zumo wired behind the plug in the compartment so I can still use it to charge my Cardoscala as needed while using the GPS. But like Fastpappy said, I still have the option of running it off the battery if I want. And if I'd like to leave it running when I kill the ignition I can "cancel" the shutdown.

At this stage of my life forgetting things is an increasingly larger worry
FastPappy likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 09:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
When out on a ride, most riders, including myself, stop quite often for various reasons, including coffee, fuel, food, photos, cigarettes, and bum breaks.

Having your GPS connected to ignition switched power, and thus switching off at every stop, is a pain in the ass. My GPS is BlueTooth connected to my helmet, and to my phone, and getting the whole system booted up, connected, and working correctly, takes time and a bit of fiddling, you don't want to do it at every stop.

So, I always connect my GPS directly to the battery, so that it stays on during short stops. For long, or over night stops, there is always the possibility of theft, so I always remove the GPS from the bike for long stops, and there is therefor very little possibility of me forgetting to switch the GPS off, and flattening the battery.
Another +1 here.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 09:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-11 View Post
Thatís interesting, I thought bike GPS units run on rechargeable batteries, If so, would have thought they would stay on similar to a cell phone when you unplug the charging cord from it. Currently use my cell phone for navigation but have been considering getting a Garmin - good to know an unswitched power supply is necessary if I go that route.
They do run on batteries but:

- the screen darkens a bit when on battery power. Don't need that!

- depending on the model, battery power can be a little flaky -> https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2

I'm totally with Bernie on this. I follow the gps while moving. I use the gps while stopped. 2 totally different things. Also, to me, gps vs a phone is not either/or. I often use both. Gps is better for routing and following custom routes I make. The phone is better for searching for gas, food, etc.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 09:47 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There are no worries about the GPS killing your battery over several hours but it will in a couple of days depending on which one you have. My Garmin 590 (or most of them) don't run that long on battery power. Russ's link will lead to a fix for ensuring it charges fully.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page