Forgot to put on crush washer - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raesewell View Post
Use a Dowty washer, fit and forget.
Those are fricken cool...I'd buy a couple. Thanks for the info!!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but a washer with a neoprene skirt, that seems like a really good idea

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride might accomplish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 06:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blassoff View Post
Those are fricken cool...I'd buy a couple. Thanks for the info!!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but a washer with a neoprene skirt, that seems like a really good idea
Before retiring, my commuter car was a '97 Chevy Cavalier, and it had one of those. I thought it was a terrific idea and always wondered why it wasn't the standard everywhere.

As for no washer, it'd drive me nuts, too.

I have removed the drain plug, put my finger over the hole, and worked a washer back on the bolt before replacing it before and lost maybe a pint of oil. The FJR will be slightly less convenient because of the placement of the hole.

The vacuum cleaner trick that justacrossthehill mentioned is done a lot over on the RV forums (just saying that makes me feel old) to install Fumoto valves. If it'll work on a 6.8 liter V-10 Ford, I'd say there's a good chance it'd work on a Yamaha. I've never done it myself, but ......

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 07:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

The drain plug on my Corvette has a O ring embedded in a groove on the bolt head. No need to replace unless damaged. Never had to replace it in 20 years of ownership. Always thought this was a great idea. Why all drain plugs aren’t like this - probably because they cost a few cents more to make...

2016 ES

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 10:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Now I will come clean on all this as I had this same issue several years ago when I changed the oil in my 14 fjr, when I dumped the old oil the crush washer was In the bottom of the drain pan (SOB !) , ,, what to do ? Contemplated just leaving it out until the next oil change which as I stated earlier I’m sure would be fine....

BUT being a totally anal type I decided to pull the drain plug and install the washer by the finger in the hole method also prescribed earlier. I did get it done with a minimal of oil lost but was difficult with a drip pan underneath (required) and required more than 1 attempt due to dropping the washer back into the drip pan 2 more times which required reinstalling the drain plug so I could fish through the oil in the pan to find the freakin crush washer.

Dowty washers are generally steel so a magnet could be used to fish it out of the oily drain pan when you drop it, ,, just sayin !

Ultimately I did get it back together correctly with the washer and did require about an additional 1/2 quart to top it back up, I understand the anal, not sleeping part of not having it there but honestly it’ll be fine w/o it! My .02
RERJr likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 08-23-2020 at 10:50 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:33 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

It might never leak, but it would drive me nuts until the next oil change. I would remove the plug and install the washer.

Current bikes:
1973 Honda CB750
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A

Former bikes:
2001 Honda VT1100C Shadow Spirit
2001 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S
2003 Honda ST1300
2008 KTM Superduke R 990
2011 Honda CB1000R
2014 Triumph Thruxton
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 12:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

It'll most likely leak. I'd get everything lined up, drop the plug and stick my finger in the hole, put the crush washer on the plug with one hand, and then quickly pop the plug back in. Bet you lose less than 4 fl. oz. of oil. Of course check and top off after. And clean the oil off your arm.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Rumblestrip likes this.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 12:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Oh and I'd get the crush washer in whereas I might not on a car because any potential leak is too close to being in the rear tire track. Buddy of mine crashed in his own oil once when the drain plug came out on a bike he had swapped for for a trial ride. Different in that the owner had just changed the oil and somehow neglected to tighten the drain plug but definitely an additional level of risk here compared to a 4-wheeler.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
OK, after going back and forth on this, it really is only 15 minutes out of my day. I can re-use the oil i collect in my clean oil pan, so no loss there.

I haven't started it yet as my front wheel and forks are off getting new seals.

I will pick up a washer since i proceeded to lose mine already.

Thanks for all the opinions and the information on the Dowty washer. I will have to look those up.

Ride safe.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300 Burgundy with 16K on the clock
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 10:41 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrlee View Post
If you are quick you can remove the plug and put your finger in the plug hole. Ask someone to fit the new crush washer and reinstall the bolt. You will lose very little oil, so just check the level - easy. I would not risk riding without it.
I can confirm this works from personal experience. I didn’t lose more than a couple of teaspoons of oil, and didn’t need a second set of hands — much easier and less messy than expected.
passx and slowdave like this.

Stephen Kramar
2018 FJR1300A
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Thanks, I will give it a try.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300 Burgundy with 16K on the clock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page